Week 1 GDT: Texans (0-0) @ Saints (0-0)

Canadian Saint

The climb to the top of the mountain starts with a single step. Here we are at the start of a new season. The start of the season has many hopes for teams and different goals. For many teams is a respectable record. For others playoff contention. Playoffs for even fewer. For the Saints, the goal is simple. Superbowl or bust. There are many factors that come into play for a season, roster make up, execution, coaching and even luck. For the Saints, the addition of heartbreak is something that needs to be dealt with. The last 2 playoff appearances ended in heartbreak. The Minneapolis Miracle and the non-call. Both of those were a dagger for an entire city. Yet we entire the new season still with superbowl expectations.

The first obstacle in our path lay the Houston Texans. They are led by a Bill Belichek disciple in Bill O'Brien. An offensive minded head coach/GM who like our head coach, is stubborn and his way of doing things. Their QB is Desaun Watson, a talented franchise QB who has improved every season. Their D is led by perennial DPOY candidate and future HOF JJ Watt who can blow up an offensive game plan in any given night. Their offseason was tumultuous. From GM changes, then failed GM hirings, to Clowney holding out, then Clowney trade and finally, trading for Tunsil and Stills.

Coaches corner:

On offense, the goal I suspect would be neutralize Watt and their D-line and target their LBers. Their LBers, while a talent group lack a true coverage LBer (I believe, though I may be wrong). Quick passes and getting players to the second level will serve this team well. Jared Cook and Alvin Kamara I suspect will be instrumental in tonight's game.

On defense is where this game will be decided. The Texans may not have a top O-line, but Watson can evade pressure and throw on the run. Moreso, his WR group has the one of the best WR in Deandre Hopkins, and skilled 2nd and 3rd options in Will Fuller and Kenny Stills. They make up the best WR group in the NFL. The test for Dennis Allen starts here. With Miller going down with an ACL, their running game is less of a threat. If we can contain their passing game, I believe we can win this. Now this is no sure thing, we struggled in coverage, despite our talent, early on last season. I suspect we'll play Nuke how we play Julio Jones. Apple + safety help on Nuke, Lattimore + rest on Fuller and Stills. I think we'll be in nickle a lot this game too.

Saints also have to get over a bad habit of starting slow. Each of the last few seasons we've had slow starts, Payton and Brees will be cognizant of this and I'm sure we'll try get off to a fast start.

Prediction:

I think Dome field advantage will play a factor in this game.

34-17 Saints.

Edited by Canadian Saint
  • Like 3

Personally going with us, 20-13. I think we struggle a bit (no Ingram to balance our run game, normal rust we seem to accrue over the offseason) but pull it out in the end. Living in Houston, I can tell you the Texans also struggle early on in a season so I think both offenses will be somewhat sloppy and keep the score low. Love to get this first win and head to LAR on a high note, though. :) 

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Oh heck no.. I’ll be scouting today though! 

Regardless of the outcome of today's game, the game in LA is going to be tough for the Saints since the Rams always give the Saints a hard time, whether they are good or not, just right now they are good.

Just now, Raves said:

Regardless of the outcome of today's game, the game in LA is going to be tough for the Saints since the Rams always give the Saints a hard time, whether they are good or not, just right now they are good.

Yeah but our Dline hasn’t had success like we use to when we were bad. Your Oline just counters ours and it’s maddening. We use to feast on your Oline. Now we rarely get sacks. 

Finally, a week 1 win. Defense was a bit disappointing, but they got worn down from a  lot of long drives.  Watson and Hopkins are tough to beat anyway, I expect we'll be ok.  Some offensive miscues or we should have had 40+ honestly, but they did what they had to do when it mattered.