Week 1 GDT: Texans (0-0) @ Saints (0-0)

Canadian Saint

I think I'm fine with the defensive performance considering.  The Texans passing game has 3 legit threats at WR and a QB who will be considered top 5 sooner than later.  PJ Williams was obviously bad, Lattimore got beat a couple times, but they weren't even bad beats just amazing toss and catch between Hopkins and Watson.  Our run defense needs work but that will come with Onyemata and Rankins return as well as that of Mario Edwards to add some more experience to the DL.

• Like 3

Came back to say how much I love the fight. Any year in the last 4 or 5 we would have lost this game in the opener. The fight we showed here will help carry us. We wanted this more than they did. The Texans are a great team and they gave us everything they had and we were still fighting inside 30 seconds. 

But yeah defense needs to improve. A lot. Also 100% Ramzcyk (and the rest of the line). 1 sack vs Watt and Mercilus? Accepted.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think I'm fine with the defensive performance considering.  The Texans passing game has 3 legit threats at WR and a QB who will be considered top 5 sooner than later.  PJ Williams was obviously bad, Lattimore got beat a couple times, but they weren't even bad beats just amazing toss and catch between Hopkins and Watson.  Our run defense needs work but that will come with Onyemata and Rankins return as well as that of Mario Edwards to add some more experience to the DL.

I guess my concern is similar to what happened last season. Prevent defense. Dennis Allen isn't perfect, but I'm not sure there is any other team that feels less confidence in 3rd and long situations. The pass rush was fine, 6 sacks without the big boys you mentioned. Also, as you said, coverage wasn't horrible (barring PJ Williams...god he sucks). My concern is the downs where we need to get off the field. DA's defense seems to give up lots of yardage with prevent defense. His schemes in those scenarios rarely workout for us. I'm not sure if its an NFL wide thing, but I don't know many D's that can have more confidence being in man-to-man than in zone. It's incredibly frustrating.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

I guess my concern is similar to what happened last season. Prevent defense. Dennis Allen isn't perfect, but I'm not sure there is any other team that feels less confidence in 3rd and long situations. The pass rush was fine, 6 sacks without the big boys you mentioned. Also, as you said, coverage wasn't horrible (barring PJ Williams...god he sucks). My concern is the downs where we need to get off the field. DA's defense seems to give up lots of yardage with prevent defense. His schemes in those scenarios rarely workout for us. I'm not sure if its an NFL wide thing, but I don't know many D's that can have more confidence being in man-to-man than in zone. It's incredibly frustrating.

Pretty sure those big plays we gave up weren't prevent defenses, unlike the Texans.  We were either in man where there was just often a great play made or a zone coverage that the WR and QB read perfectly.  Like on the two play TD drive, that was man coverage where Hopkins got a step on Lattimore and made an amazing catch after an amazing throw from Watson and then the second was a zone coverage where Lattimore dropped under and I think it was Williams that was behind him and Watson made a great throw between the areas of the zone that Stills ran into.  It happens to every team and I don't think staying Man would've prevented that even.

Though seriously is PRob still hurt that PJ got the starting nickel job?  He was just flat out bad.  Also we had another pick called back for an offsides don't forget which I think that drive might've ended with a TD.  So clean up the penalties that extended a lot of drives, get people healthy, and get PJ Williams off the field and we'll be good to go.4

• Like 1

Defense hits its stride a couple weeks late every single year. 

I'm not worried, Texans offense is good plus our defensive line was shot to ****. 

We'll get healthier and we'll improve.

Great win and great way to start the season.

Edited by Dome

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Pretty sure those big plays we gave up weren't prevent defenses, unlike the Texans.

Our defense played like we were down by 3 rather than up by 6, hyper aggressive like we were trying to force the 3 and out rather than burn the clock.

texans played like they were up by 4 rather than up by 1, just sat back and let us take chunks underneath.

we each did what the other team SHOULD have done.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dome said:

Our defense played like we were down by 3 rather than up by 6, hyper aggressive like we were trying to force the 3 and out rather than burn the clock.

texans played like they were up by 4 rather than up by 1, just sat back and let us take chunks underneath.

we each did what the other team SHOULD have done.

Oh I agree, but I was just referencing where it seemed they thought we were in prevent defense is all.

• Like 1

My takes:

Our D-line was constantly over pursuing and blowing right past a talented QB. Film study can take care of that.
Our Blitzes were the same as above.
The secondary.... oh boy. I'm not going to be as nice as you guys were. I understand we were going against talent, but they were nonexistent when it was needed most. Literally.
If DA and crew doesn't spend the next 3 practices going over tackling fundamentals, I'm going to lose my s**t! This is the NFL. You can't pop a guy in the arms with your shoulder pads and expect him to fall down.

When in position and focused, our D was really good. That's quite the offense to hold to 28 points, frankly.

Our offense. 
What a great job by the O-line!!
Alvin Kamara is a freaking stud!! I said in his rookie year, preseason, I haven't seen balance on a guy like this since Barry Sanders, and I'm sticking to it. I'd love to see his Y.A.C., especially later in the game. The guy wouldn't go down!!

Sure, there were a few opportunities missed, but to win rather than pizz it down our leg like the Saints of old is fun.

Good game, and my heart...........

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 2

Great Game! Still pumped after that win. 

I really didn't expect the defense to play much better than it did. Common sense says they really **** the bed on that last drive, but other than that, I found they played better than the start of the last two years. The offense looked primed and ready. Kamara is unreal. If Drew had one more second on that big throw to him over the middle where he had to dive, he walks into the end zone.  

• Like 2