2019 Stat Watch

Pastor Dillon

A few notable Texans on this list:

- Carlos Hyde is the 6th highest rated RB on the list. Lots of football to be played, but Hyde might be the guy who takes the mantle from Lamar Miller.

- Cullen Gillaspia at 4th is just awesome. That's a big hit, getting a productive position player in the 7th, even if he's a FB.

- Kenny Stills is THE top WR in the NFL per PFF. Over Julio, over Hopkins, over Odell, over Keenan. He's worth both of those first round picks, eh? We got a nice throwaway at LT, too!

- Not a single OL in the bottom five. None in the top 10, sure. But not having a guy vying for the "worst OL in the NFL" designation is just a great feeling.

- Lonnie Johnson is the 2nd worst CB per PFF, only behind fellow rookie DeAndre Baker. I think he's played well, but maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture. Jonathan Joseph should be here, based on what I'm seeing. No Bradley Roby, either; He's been really good, but I guess there are better CBs there.

- We got two guys in the top 5 of "Interior Rusher" position, and neither of them is JJ Watt. DJ Reader is really earning his extension, and Omenihu starting off this hot is beautiful, just beautiful. BOTH are grading out higher than reigning DPOY Aaron Donald. Angelo Blackson, on the other hand... bottom five guy. 

- Nothing for Whitney Mercilius or Zach Cunningham, which is very odd. I'd call them the best two defenders on this unit this season.

- Oh, Ka'imi. Oh... Ka'imi.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

A few notable Texans on this list:

- Carlos Hyde is the 6th highest rated RB on the list. Lots of football to be played, but Hyde might be the guy who takes the mantle from Lamar Miller.

- Cullen Gillaspia at 4th is just awesome. That's a big hit, getting a productive position player in the 7th, even if he's a FB.

- Kenny Stills is THE top WR in the NFL per PFF. Over Julio, over Hopkins, over Odell, over Keenan. He's worth both of those first round picks, eh? We got a nice throwaway at LT, too!

- Not a single OL in the bottom five. None in the top 10, sure. But not having a guy vying for the "worst OL in the NFL" designation is just a great feeling.

- Lonnie Johnson is the 2nd worst CB per PFF, only behind fellow rookie DeAndre Baker. I think he's played well, but maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture. Jonathan Joseph should be here, based on what I'm seeing. No Bradley Roby, either; He's been really good, but I guess there are better CBs there.

- We got two guys in the top 5 of "Interior Rusher" position, and neither of them is JJ Watt. DJ Reader is really earning his extension, and Omenihu starting off this hot is beautiful, just beautiful. BOTH are grading out higher than reigning DPOY Aaron Donald. Angelo Blackson, on the other hand... bottom five guy. 

- Nothing for Whitney Mercilius or Zach Cunningham, which is very odd. I'd call them the best two defenders on this unit this season.

- Oh, Ka'imi. Oh... Ka'imi.

ISWYDT

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Four of those eight were against backup/replacement level guys.

I REALLY like this OL.

They have potential but allowing 5 or 6 sacks a game just isnt going to cut it. 

Even if BOB survives the season, we have to make a change with our line coach. hes had so many players to work with, I will never believe that they have just all sucked. 

Its possible that it could be BOBs system that screwed up as well. If i remember correctly, the center called the protections in Kubiaks system and in BOBs its the QB. that could be some of the problem. 

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

They have potential but allowing 5 or 6 sacks a game just isnt going to cut it

Some of the them are on TE and RB. And frankly at least 2 per game should properly be credit to Watson for holding the ball way too long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

Some of the them are on TE and RB. And frankly at least 2 per game should properly be credit to Watson for holding the ball way too long.

This is my takeaway. Watson is trying to take 6-8 seconds back there to let guys get open. He's got to anticipate guys getting open, or give someone a contested pass.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is my takeaway. Watson is trying to take 6-8 seconds back there to let guys get open. He's got to anticipate guys getting open, or give someone a contested pass.

If Watson is getting 6-8 seconds and no one is open then our scheme is the problem, which we all know is part of it anyway. 

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

If Watson is getting 6-8 seconds and no one is open then our scheme is the problem, which we all know is part of it anyway. 

I don't discount the scheme is the issue, but ANY QB needs to get the ball out of his hands in three seconds or less. That's on Watson, and that was evident last season too.

His internal clock needs to speed up, if the deep shots aren't open he needs to check down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't discount the scheme is the issue, but ANY QB needs to get the ball out of his hands in three seconds or less. That's on Watson, and that was evident last season too.

His internal clock needs to speed up, if the deep shots aren't open he needs to check down.

Yup. Or at least get out of the pocket to allow himself to buy time, use his legs, or throw it way. It's his one weakness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Yup. Or at least get out of the pocket to allow himself to buy time, use his legs, or throw it way. It's his one weakness.

And this is where coaching scheme should have the impact.  OB1 should see that DW4 is not TB12.  Let DW4 be mobile and improvise if need be.

You cannot play action, roll out every single down, but I don't think we do it enough.  I have to believe DW4 would be highly effective on such plays.

This is from last year:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Why-the-play-action-pass-is-working-for-Texans-13343467.php

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So the colts are going to be competition for the division 

I think our defense matches up with them well - their offense is more "ground and pound" that will utilize the short passing game. Jacoby Brissett is a good QB, but I don't think he can exploit TY Hilton downfield in the same fashion as Andrew Luck. 

Our offense, on the other hand? If they can slow down Mahomes, I think we're in for rough go out there. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think our defense matches up with them well - their offense is more "ground and pound" that will utilize the short passing game. Jacoby Brissett is a good QB, but I don't think he can exploit TY Hilton downfield in the same fashion as Andrew Luck. 

Our offense, on the other hand? If they can slow down Mahomes, I think we're in for rough go out there. 

That’s a hobbled Mahomes with no real WR talent, nor a real run game 

Edited by lumberjackchris

Laremy Tunsil is about to be the highest paid LT in history but is he worth it?

he gave up 2 sacks week 1, one was a communication error and the other was a perfectly timed(or offsides) jump from a DE that no LT in the game could have stopped. 

Since then in 4 games

0 sacks

3 hurries

0 hits 

Over the last two on 84 pass plays he’s allowed 0 pressures  

also of note on his value is that it allowed Howard to go to RT and Scharping to play Guard, which upgraded 3 spots 

well worth the money and the 1sts 

i say we front load the heck out of his 5 year deal so that by year 3 his cap hit is average for a LT because by the  watson and Fuller will be getting some money 

• Like 2

The way things are looking, the AFC playoff race might only come down to 7 or 8 teams 

New England, Baltimore, and Kansas City look like locks to win their division. 

Houston and Indy look like they will be battling it out for the AFC South

the wild card looks like it will come down to

buffalo

houston/Indy

Chargers

Anything is possible and the Browns and Titans could have something to say about it but I’m not buying them or the raiders just yet.  

im not really buying the Bills but for a 4-1 team to miss the playoffs, that would be something, not unheard of but something