Monday Night Football! Houston @ New Orleans!

ET80

Texans v Saints  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Texans
    • Saints
  2. 2. Who is the best player on offense?

• Drew Brees
    • Michael Thomas
    • Alvin Kamara
    • Deshaun Watson
    • DeAndre Hopkins
    • Will Fuller
    • Other
  3. 3. Who is the best player on defense?

• Cam Jordan
    • Marshawn Lattimore
    • Marcus Davenport
    • JJ Watt
    • Whitney Mercilius
    • Zach Cunningham
    • Other

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Risky, but Stills should have considered going down at the 1. Then they spike it and have three shots to go 1 yard to win the game, and make sure Brees never gets the ball back

Eh...I don't have that sort of confidence in short yardage/goal line situations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

Nope

He must be holding something really good over the McNair family. They have literally given him ownership of the team with a blank checkbook and said do whatever the hell you want. 

I actually don't think this is the case - this game is really telling on the personnel on the Texans, and it really illustrated the tactical decisions of the coaching staff. 

That final drive? That was football 101 - when you're up by a point, DON'T give someone 50+ yards to set up a GW score. Us in Houston know this is an issue, we've seen them do this in New England and Seattle in 2016, in Philly last season and now in New Orleans yesterday. Games that should have been a win on the road against an elite team - Texans had these teams dead to rights, but a soft philosophy of "bend but don't break" kills this team.

For the first time, the world saw it happen. And, the world is responding. And it's not going to be the last time we'll see it.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

A lot of the criticism of the Texans is for the defense, but it was bad strategy to score so fast by the offense. Once you've got that first big play to Hopkins, there's time to take a breath and consider how much time you might leave. 40 seconds and 1 TO is easily enough time to lose the game.

Risky, but Stills should have considered going down at the 1. Then they spike it and have three shots to go 1 yard to win the game, and make sure Brees never gets the ball back.

There is no guarantee that they would score though and the OL was getting demolished all game.  So many chances for it to go wrong.  Also it's not like they were down by 3 or less where at worst they would just tie the game with a FG.  They were down by 6.  They NEEDED a TD to even force overtime.  Taking the TD to force OT even if the XP had been missed was the right call.  The wrong call was playing prevent defense against a kicker that has the leg to be able to hit from 60 and a HOF QB that is able to read the coverage and get the ball out and down the field to give his kicker a shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

A lot of the criticism of the Texans is for the defense, but it was bad strategy to score so fast by the offense. Once you've got that first big play to Hopkins, there's time to take a breath and consider how much time you might leave. 40 seconds and 1 TO is easily enough time to lose the game.

Risky, but Stills should have considered going down at the 1. Then they spike it and have three shots to go 1 yard to win the game, and make sure Brees never gets the ball back.

Hindsight is 20/20. 

I dunno. I think they played it as well as they probably could have. If Stills goes down at the one and they don't get in... then what? That's the sort of trick you pull when you're down 2 and the field goal is a no-brainer. They needed a TD, they got it. Case closed. 

I know the Saints would have preferred the no-drama approach of another first down and then running out the clock. That wasn't to be. So you lean on your defense to stand up and make a stop. The NO defense didn't. When that second PAT went through, the odds of a Houston win were in the 90+ percentile range. Criticize the defensive strategy all you want but they did the right thing on offense. Score, take the lead, make the other team beat you. Yesterday it worked out that the other team did just that but I think most of the time it doesn't. We just remember and judge the times when it does.

I heard a stat this morning. The Texans sent a 3 man rush 16 times yesterday and Brees converted 13 of the 16 and 6 for 6 on 3rd downs .... Just wow.

How do you send a 3 man rush 16 times against a HoF QB you know will eat you alive if you give him the slightest bit of time. The fact that RAC couldn't adjust after he knew this wasn't working just shows that he's no longer a good defensive coordinator. The game has passed him by. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Could the Texans just not have touched Ginn down on the second to last play, extending the clock to let the game expire?

I understand giving yourself up stops the play - but refs are always kiiiinda sluggish when it comes to blowing this whistle aren't they? Mind, I'm sure Sean Payton had his hands on the nearest refs collar and was in his ear the entire time telling him to be ready or else

13 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

I understand giving yourself up stops the play - but refs are always kiiiinda sluggish when it comes to blowing this whistle aren't they? Mind, I'm sure Sean Payton had his hands on the nearest refs collar and was in his ear the entire time telling him to be ready or else

If they give themselves up and slide feet first it stops. I don’t recall if the WR did this though.

51 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

Love you big bro! Glad you’re back and posting! Miss you. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, ET80 said:

Tough, tough loss. Moreso frustrating because the players to be a really good team are on roster, but the coaching is going to ruin everything.

There will be a few 10-6 or 11-5 seasons, a few playoff appearance, but that's the ceiling.

Oh well. Astros winning 15-0.

Maybe Bill O'Brien gets fired after this year. Would you rather miss the playoffs to get O'Brien fired?