Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Packers (1-0)

swede700

Last year, Kirk Cousins passed for 425 yds in Lambeau, how many will he throw for this time?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Last year, Kirk Cousins passed for 425 yds in Lambeau, how many will he throw for this time?

• Less than 100 yds
    • 100-203 yds (Rodgers' total last week)
    • 204-275 yds
    • 276-325 yds
    • 326-400 yds
    • 400+ yds

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

IF penalties can retroactively

Most penalties can not be changed retroactively. A rule change this year allowed pass interference to be a reviewable penalty. Holding is not reviewable. So, if contact is made prior to the ball being in the air it is not reviewable. Once the ball is in the air it is reviewable. For a call to be changed, there needs to be clear and convincing evidence of both the contact and the fact that the ball was in the air when it happened.

And....sure was an interesting game, Vikes fans.

Thought we really had your number early.  But a few adjustments were made and then it became interesting.

I'm a Packer fan...but even I was rolling my eyes concerning the OPI on Cook.  To me it wasn't clear enough to call.  He didn't pick someone else, he just got in the way and hung out.  I didn't like the call.

Thankfully, Cousins threw us a gift in the end zone.  And GB did a great job running that clock down by getting a few key first downs.

As an outside observer, something isn't right with the Vikes.  That is still a dominating defense.  And i think you get Hughes back, which will help even more.

I don't get the play call that led to the INT.  That entire drive was a statement drive by running the ball.  There was no need to pass there.  Keep handing it off and I guess you get the TD and beat us up even more in the process.  It was just an odd call.  

Then on the good side, I thought your tackles handled the Smiths on the Edge pretty nicely.  Clark beat the ever loving heck out of your first round pick at center, but he's gonna do that to a lot of centers in the league.   And the run game looked very, very good.  Keep that up and the play actions will pop.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you play the Bears.  Defense, defense, defense.  Good luck to you all.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Most penalties can not be changed retroactively. A rule change this year allowed pass interference to be a reviewable penalty. Holding is not reviewable. So, if contact is made prior to the ball being in the air it is not reviewable. Once the ball is in the air it is reviewable. For a call to be changed, there needs to be clear and convincing evidence of both the contact and the fact that the ball was in the air when it happened.

I understand the rule change but did not know they'd be looking for it on scoring plays, my point was they were confirming the score and then "threw" the flag. 

Your point stands about holding, however, Riveron said they review "all aspects" of the play. So I guess I'm confused by what exactly is meant by "all aspects" of the play. Are they going to be looking for PI on every touchdown now?

From Courtney Cronin (ESPN): "Here's the full explanation from Senior VP of Officiating Al Riveron about the OPI call that nullified Stefon Diggs' TD before halftime: "The ruling on the field is a score. Every time, by rule, there's a score or turnover, here in New York we automatically take a look at all aspects of the play, which this year includes obvious visual evidence that No. 33 (Dalvin Cook) hinders the opponent while the ball is still in the air. Therefore, we negate the score and call offensive pass interference here from New York and penalize them 10 yards."

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't get the play call that led to the INT.  That entire drive was a statement drive by running the ball.  There was no need to pass there.  Keep handing it off and I guess you get the TD and beat us up even more in the process.  It was just an odd call.

I think I'm ok with the play call, it was just a stupid decision by Cousins. Then again we were pounding the rock...

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I think I'm ok with the play call, it was just a stupid decision by Cousins. Then again we were pounding the rock...

I think they should have run but I don't blame them for trying a pass into the end zone. At worst you'd think he'd throw it out the back of the end zone

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I understand the rule change but did not know they'd be looking for it on scoring plays, my point was they were confirming the score and then "threw" the flag. 

Your point stands about holding, however, Riveron said they review "all aspects" of the play. So I guess I'm confused by what exactly is meant by "all aspects" of the play. Are they going to be looking for PI on every touchdown now?

From Courtney Cronin (ESPN): "Here's the full explanation from Senior VP of Officiating Al Riveron about the OPI call that nullified Stefon Diggs' TD before halftime: "The ruling on the field is a score. Every time, by rule, there's a score or turnover, here in New York we automatically take a look at all aspects of the play, which this year includes obvious visual evidence that No. 33 (Dalvin Cook) hinders the opponent while the ball is still in the air. Therefore, we negate the score and call offensive pass interference here from New York and penalize them 10 yards."

Yeah, he should have been more clear. Where he says "all aspects", he should have said "all reviewable aspects".

Now pass interference is reviewable, but the standard for changing the call should be a lot higher than applied in that case based on the precedent from the preseason.

They should be looking for pass interference on all TDs and turnovers now that it is reviewable since all TDs and turnovers are automatically reviewed. Will they? Hard to say. Will they do it consistently? Almost certainly not. They already aren't being consistent with how they handle pass interference reviews even though they are doing it centrally.

For being down 21 nothing after the 1st quarter I think the Vikings played great honestly considering the situation.  Not sure how they did it, I think they went with more pressure defense, less zone type coverage and challenged the receivers.  Whatever it was it worked and they obviously shut out the Packers the entire rest of the game.  Sadly they did give up some in the run game but they also allowed it I felt and took away things they could not cover since Alexander and Hughes were out as the slot corner.  Thought they would be eaten alive the rest of the game by Adams in the slot.

Tried Meadors for a little bit out there which was just stupid, then Kearse did settle in and look more comfortable.  Again terrible to give up rush yards and maybe there Packers were just fine with it but still the defense turned it around and that was nice to see.  Cousins was awful, everyone knows it and so what they at least ran the football and got back into the game some how and without the INTs from Cousin's they probably would have won the game.  

Sucks having a two TE set when your TEs are nothing special. Rudolph has not made big plays, Conklin has done nothing and Smith has done little outside of blocking in space from time to time.  Beebe had the one big play which was nice to see but the lack of a 3rd WR is hurting them a lot I think.  At least Ameer had that great hit on special teams, probably the best tackle any Viking had all game.  They will have to use the backs more in the passing game for sure, especially if the TEs cannot start being more productive.

LOVE that Vikings pass rush later in the game, that was impressive and was a sight to see.  Barr all over the place coming at Rodgers, Hunter doing great, Giffen doing well, Joseph getting in on the action.  Hopefully they can keep that going and become a force as a pass rush team, 9 hits on the QB, 7 TFL and 2 sacks.  Pretty solid after getting absolutely rocked to start the game in every which way.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The play call was fine. It keeps the defense true instead of them stacking the box knowing we're going to run.

However, Kirk should have looked at Thielen then Diggs then throw the ball 10 rows in the stands and hit a beer man in the head if neither were open.

Honestly, I think Kirk remembers last game vs. Green Bay or even only throwing the ball 10 times last week and how he came up just short vs. GB and wanted to be the hero and prove he's THAT guy. I do think the quote that went something like "I can go in an win a game 54-52 if I need to" was very telling of that. 

Of course, that's all baseless speculation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

This rule is completely stupid.

Not only will is slow down the games even more, there's ALWAYS something that goes on during EVERY play that's not caught live. Holding, picks, chops, OPI, DPI, farts, etc.

So now you're telling me they can go into slow-mo and dissect EVERY aspect of a play before confirming it?

On 9/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, VikeManDan said:

I am, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. 

I don’t understand how they can throw a flag when one wasn’t called on the play. Were they reviewing/confirming the TD and then called it? That’s what it sounds like. 

Will other TDs be overturned when being confirmed due to other offensive penalties such as holding? Didn’t really like Riveron’s explanation. 

Another GB fan who hates that call. Would be as mad as you's guys if it went against us. Awful path for the league to go down. Hoping it's an anomaly.

• Like 5