All things QB/Jameis

Lil' Shorty

After the rocky Week 1 start from Jameis, to say the least, I figured we should create a thread “All things Buc QB related.” 

I’m sure there will be some great weeks (hopefully more and sooner than later) and some awful ones. The conversation around Jameis and the future at QB for the Bucs will be talked about all season. 

Ill get us started. After one week, in order, I see the following 3 things ranking from most to least likely for the QB position.

1. Sign Jameis to a 3 year deal with something like $50-$60 mil guaranteed to try and bye more time under BAs system.

2. Draft a rookie to be the new franchise guy. 

3. Sign Jameis to a massive 5-6 year extension.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Jameis will show just enough promise that we begrudgingly give him another contract although I see it being a reasonable one.

As much as I'd love Trevor Lawrence I just think we have too much talent on our team to get the number one pick in the 2020 draft. Maybe I have rose colored glasses though.

After seeing us replace McCoy with Suh  I'm kind of inclined to pick up Mariotta if the Titans let him go, although if he continues to plays like he did yesterday he's not going anywhere.. Like many others, he was the one I wanted all along until I  seen the writing on the wall that it would likely be Jameis and decided to try to get on board. 

Mariotta with Herbert or Fromm would be my ideal situation next year.

Edited by SBucfan

While I am a fan of Winston when he was coming out, it ultimately comes down to what I think will be best for the team long term.  Unfortunately I don't think Winston is that guy.  While the OJ interception should have been caught, it could've been thrown better.  That last one if he's not just throwing to a spot because of pressure and Dare getting double team blocked by his own mean he at least makes a play on it.  

It will ultimately come down to whatever BA wants.  I think if BA is willing to stick around with a new QB while grooming Leftwich to takeover because why not get that QB that forms the bond with the OC before he becomes a HC.  

• Like 1

I hope BA is smart enough to call it on Winston because I've had it 

I had it last year ! But I said eff it we have a new coach , I actually like this coach, I think he can help us succeed, he has had success and good systems, maybe he can turn this interception machine and terribly inaccurate passer in winston into something adequate.

But if week 1 is any indication of things to come (and things that have already happened up to this point) then I'm done 

I mean youd think at least week 1 winston would look decent right?? Its not like the 9ners have some great defense

I hope BA is smart enough to realize that even with his track record,  he cant fix Jameis,  no one can

And honestly I hate to say it but if we give Jameis ANY more money I'm done paying attention to our games until he's off the roster for good 

There is only so much I can take 

• Like 2

I seen enough. Year 5 and he looked like year 1 v the Titans.

4. Sign a stop gap (Tyrod) and look for your future in ‘20

this team is good enough to win now we just need our qb to NOT throw the ball to the other team. The way bowles defenses are set up we’ll be able to keep teams close.

Im all for drafting a qb next year or the year after. You cannot invest long term into losing qb football. Knowing Licht though its going to take a crap season from #3 to consider moving on. Which im hoping happens

55 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I hope BA is smart enough to call it on Winston because I've had it 

I had it last year ! But I said eff it we have a new coach , I actually like this coach, I think he can help us succeed, he has had success and good systems, maybe he can turn this interception machine and terribly inaccurate passer in winston into something adequate.

But if week 1 is any indication of things to come (and things that have already happened up to this point) then I'm done 

I mean youd think at least week 1 winston would look decent right?? Its not like the 9ners have some great defense

I hope BA is smart enough to realize that even with his track record,  he cant fix Jameis,  no one can

And honestly I hate to say it but if we give Jameis ANY more money I'm done paying attention to our games until he's off the roster for good 

There is only so much I can take 

i knew jameis was a problem when i watched Wentz complete bombs to D Jack for TDs. So him not practicing enough to get timing down with Jameis is absurd excuse. Dudes been a pro bowler for 3 different qbs (vick, cousins, foles) and neither are super good. With Wentz this will be QB #4 where he is pro bowl level. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, indifference said:

i knew jameis was a problem when i watched Wentz complete bombs to D Jack for TDs. So him not practicing enough to get timing down with Jameis is absurd excuse. Dudes been a pro bowler for 3 different qbs (vick, cousins, foles) and neither are super good. With Wentz this will be QB #4 where he is pro bowl level. 

You're right , I mean with winston Djax was irrelevant. No wonder he wanted to high tail it out of here lol  and we all thought Djax was cancerous and being a baby nahh the man just saw it right from the get go.

And look! 8 receptions 154 and 2 TDs in game 1 with wentz

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Ill get us started. After one week, in order, I see the following 3 things ranking from most to least likely for the QB position.|
1. Sign Jameis to a 3 year deal with something like $50-$60 mil guaranteed to try and bye more time under BAs system.

WTF

I am going to lose my sh*t if we do this. I really hope BA does not award Winston a contract extension for another inconsistent season.
To be honest, I am all but ready to throw in the towel with Winston. I have supported him since day 1 and defended him every year, but that 49ers game showed me that he is not really going to change. Sure, I get it. It's 1 game. But his core issues that hold him back and more importantly, hold out entire team back are not going away. He is just too inconsistent. Sure he will give us those games where he goes 29/42 428 yards 4TD's 1INT, and in the game he will have some insane plays where he matrix style dodges sacks, and scrambles out and hits a WR in stride for a TD that just makes our jaws drop. I get the guy is talented, but the problem is for every game he gives us like that, we will get another game that looks like last Sunday. He is just not consistent. That is his issue. We are a 8-8 AT BEST team with him. I sure as hell do not want to wait ANOTHER 3 seasons to start our journey on a QB search. He is in his 5th season, there is literally no excuses left for the guy. Also what kind of bugs me is he still looks for Mike Evans to consistently bail him out. You can't just expect Evans to make Madden like catches all game long. You have to actually hit guys that are open, or throw to where only they can catch it. Not constantly throw the ball up and hope Mike makes some Randy Moss play. I am willing to give him till the rest of the season but if his core issues don't change, I don't see how anyone would want him sticking around.

16 hours ago, SBucfan said:

I'm kind of inclined to pick up Mariotta if the Titans let him go, although if he continues to plays like he did yesterday he's not going anywhere.. Like many others, he was the one I wanted all along until I  seen the writing on the wall that it would likely be Jameis and decided to try to get on board. 

Mariotta with Herbert or Fromm would be my ideal situation next year.

Why on earth would you want Mariota? Did you actually watch the Browns game or did you just look at the stats at the end of the game? Because if you watched it you would see he is terrible. Titans fans like some of us have given up on him already and even they don't think he is that good. Mariota is a very conservative game manager. That's all he is. The only thing we would fix with Mariota is we would see far less interceptions, but it would be replaced with a much slower and less aggressive offense. Plus do not forget the dude is made out of glass and I bet he will not play all 16 games this season. If Mariota ends up being available and the Titans decide to let him walk, it will be for a reason.
I would honestly take Ryan Griffin over Mariota.

Edited by Calibucsfan
  • Like 1

@Calibucsfan yeah I don’t disagree with anything you said. In the Pewter Podcast Trevor made a good point on some of Jameis’ throws, questioning not if he can read a defense (that was in question) but if he can even throw. Obviously Jameis isn’t the most accurate guy but if we had just decent QB play or even Dak Prescott for that matter at QB, this team would be winning a lot more. 

The painful thing for me is I also agree that if you sign Jameis to an extension you just prolong this mediocrity or worse. Problem is what @BucsDraftGeek47 just brought up. What are our options next year? Do we dare trade for Josh Rosen? 

5 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

@Calibucsfan yeah I don’t disagree with anything you said. In the Pewter Podcast Trevor made a good point on some of Jameis’ throws, questioning not if he can read a defense (that was in question) but if he can even throw. Obviously Jameis isn’t the most accurate guy but if we had just decent QB play or even Dak Prescott for that matter at QB, this team would be winning a lot more. 

The painful thing for me is I also agree that if you sign Jameis to an extension you just prolong this mediocrity or worse. Problem is what @BucsDraftGeek47 just brought up. What are our options next year? Do we dare trade for Josh Rosen? 

Yeah Dak might look great in this BA offense

We just need a decent QB

Problem with Jameis is, not only is his decision making complete garbage, but his accuracy and deep ball are atrocious

No Rosen for me

I wouldn't mind Tyrod

I read Philip Rivers will be a FA but hes probably not going anywhere or if throw all kinds of money at him just for 1 or 2 good years of competency

Then theres Teddy B but I'm not sold on him either 

If Dallas doesnt pay Dak we could 

In the draft I'm in on Herbert or Fromm