All things QB/Jameis

Lil' Shorty

Playing devils advocate here. Arians came to Tampa cuz of Winston and Licht, or so he says. 1. Would we actually draft a new QB next year and move on from Jameis and BA and Ownership do it? 2. Would Licht stay and be able to draft another QB if we indeed do? Because if not I bet you could make the case that BA steps down.

17 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Playing devils advocate here. Arians came to Tampa cuz of Winston and Licht, or so he says. 1. Would we actually draft a new QB next year and move on from Jameis and BA and Ownership do it? 2. Would Licht stay and be able to draft another QB if we indeed do? Because if not I bet you could make the case that BA steps down.

I'm fairly confident that Arians wanted Winston to remain the starting QB, but I definitely wouldn't go as far to say he came to Tampa because of him. I think he could drop him as the starter easily without any type of repercussion on his status as head coach or reputation. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

I'm fairly confident that Arians wanted Winston to remain the starting QB, but I definitely wouldn't go as far to say he came to Tampa because of him. I think he could drop him as the starter easily without any type of repercussion on his status as head coach or reputation. 

He 100% came here because of Winston although maybe not the full reason but it was a huge part of the reason why he came.   He had other choices as Cleveland wanted him as well and he could have gone there but he chose the Bucs because of the Qb and how close he is with Winston.

Arians is going to give Winston the full 16 games to prove himself no matter what happens and as a fanbase, we just have to accept the fact that this is what's happening.  If you don't like Winston you should probably find a new team to watch this season because he is going to be the starter.

As for next season, I really don't know...   Arians is old and I highly doubt he wants to start a rebuild at his age,  So its going to be interesting to see what happens after this season.  They could possibly tag Jameis for another year to use him as a bridge QB while they groom another draft pick and Arians will be ok with grooming a new QB. Then later on just retiring and let Leftwich or whoever take over after he leaves... I really don't know.  There are a lot of question marks to be answered this upcoming season.

• Like 2

I don t see the whole Arians is old and would not be interested in a rebuild.  First, he probably is making at least 7 million per with 4 yrs guaranteed.  Retire means forfeiting that money.  Of course, health could change that.  Second, he is a football coach and that s what they do.  Some guys just can t get away from it.  Arians seems to be one of those guys.  Third, I agree he came to Tampa to coach Winston, but also he got the one job that was open that the head coach got full control.  He gets to "shop for the groceries". Gase got that later in New York.  I don t think he 'll have any problem moving on from Winston at the end of the year if he isn t satisfied.  That 25 million saved could go to other areas on the roster.  Heck, it may even be possible to not franchise Winston and resign him at a lower number.  10 more games for Winston is all that is guaranteed.

I remember one quote from Arians during the off-season.  Basically, it s harder to retrain a QB who has already been in the pros, then a young guy coming in the league. 

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I don t see the whole Arians is old and would not be interested in a rebuild.  First, he probably is making at least 7 million per with 4 yrs guaranteed.  Retire means forfeiting that money.  Of course, health could change that.  Second, he is a football coach and that s what they do.  Some guys just can t get away from it.  Arians seems to be one of those guys.  Third, I agree he came to Tampa to coach Winston, but also he got the one job that was open that the head coach got full control.  He gets to "shop for the groceries". Gase got that later in New York.  I don t think he 'll have any problem moving on from Winston at the end of the year if he isn t satisfied.  That 25 million saved could go to other areas on the roster.  Heck, it may even be possible to not franchise Winston and resign him at a lower number.  10 more games for Winston is all that is guaranteed.

I remember one quote from Arians during the off-season.  Basically, it s harder to retrain a QB who has already been in the pros, then a young guy coming in the league. 

Well, it's just the fact of history and the oldest coach ever to coach in the NFL is Marv Levy at 72...   He didn't have any health concerns and is still alive at age 94.      Football coaching is a hugeeee stress and with him already having health concerns I dunno how long he will last in the NFL.  Like you said signed a contract for four years so we will see.

Awesome discussion everyone. I think we can all agree this offseason will be a big unknown but Arians will have a tilt to keeping Jameis around over moving on. BA knows his history but in his own words, if Jameis has another game like this it’s gonna be his (BA’s) red flag. 

The quote about retraining a vet vs training a rookie is interesting. I don’t take BA for the type to leave the team in shambles for his successor when he retires. Just my opinion. So that may mean get a rookie. Build the team up around him, and try to win now. Plenty of young QBs are winning right away when the supporting cast is solid and the coaching is on point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

He 100% came here because of Winston although maybe not the full reason but it was a huge part of the reason why he came.   He had other choices as Cleveland wanted him as well and he could have gone there but he chose the Bucs because of the Qb and how close he is with Winston.

Arians is going to give Winston the full 16 games to prove himself no matter what happens and as a fanbase, we just have to accept the fact that this is what's happening.  If you don't like Winston you should probably find a new team to watch this season because he is going to be the starter.

As for next season, I really don't know...   Arians is old and I highly doubt he wants to start a rebuild at his age,  So its going to be interesting to see what happens after this season.  They could possibly tag Jameis for another year to use him as a bridge QB while they groom another draft pick and Arians will be ok with grooming a new QB. Then later on just retiring and let Leftwich or whoever take over after he leaves... I really don't know.  There are a lot of question marks to be answered this upcoming season.

So I guess if he came to Tampa in part because of Winston, it was more for the reason of it being a challenge he wanted to conquer for himself and perhaps his self confidence in reviving Winston was a little too high. There's only so much that can be taught. It's just not there. 

Of course he'll play all 16 games if healthy. I don't expect him to be benched in favor of Ryan Griffin. 

I don't think Arians is going to sell out the team for a shot at a Super Bowl before he retires. Besides, lots of rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's have been having plenty of success as of lately. So, I don't think it means throwing the year away even if we end up starting a rookie QB next year. Worst case is we have another bad year with a rookie QB, that hopefully has potential. But, the sooner the better. Or, I also like the idea of trading for another teams backup. Will just take some scouting around. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

So I guess if he came to Tampa in part because of Winston, it was more for the reason of it being a challenge he wanted to conquer for himself and perhaps his self confidence in reviving Winston was a little too high. There's only so much that can be taught. It's just not there. 

Of course he'll play all 16 games if healthy. I don't expect him to be benched in favor of Ryan Griffin. 

I don't think Arians is going to sell out the team for a shot at a Super Bowl before he retires. Besides, lots of rookie QB's and 2nd year QB's have been having plenty of success as of lately. So, I don't think it means throwing the year away even if we end up starting a rookie QB next year. Worst case is we have another bad year with a rookie QB, that hopefully has potential. But, the sooner the better. Or, I also like the idea of trading for another teams backup. Will just take some scouting around. 

Its definitely possible...  I mean a ton of guys have won or been to the super bowl on their 2nd or 3rd year.    Russel Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, Jared Goff.    One thing those guys had in common was a good defense though so time will tell if we get that together as well.

And let s be honest, Mariota and Winston  were the 2 best option at the QB position for that draft.  Arguably, the top 10 selections in that draft are pretty average pros sans Gurley.  

So the Bucs sucked to get the top pick in a draft weak with QBs and generally weak at all the other positions that were graded as top prospects 

#ItsABucsLife # 😒😒

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 2