Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

36 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Consistency. Not missing easy and obvious checkdowns, getting rid of the ball when nothing is there and the pocket is collapsing, avoiding big hits when he takes off, giving our team atleast 200+ yards of offense through the air (in his last 16 games he has only done this 7 times, and yes that includes games he has gotten injured and left early but that goes back to consistency), threatening the defense week in and week out by pushing the ball downfield and COMPLETING the passes (he only attempted a pass longer than 15 yards twice yesterday and one of those was a triple covered Delanie), and making the playoffs with him as a primary factor - not the defense, not Derrick Henry, not the TE’s and WR’s racking up ridiculous amounts of YAC to make his stats look more pretty, but Mariota taking control.

This is not asking a lot of a QB to do. This is like bare minimum stuff you would expect a rookie to come in and do.

Thinking on it, I don't think it's a number that would make people feel good.

It's an aesthetic. This it look right.

We've seen him checkdown and people say he isn't pushing it.
We've seen him push it or force it and people say check it down.
We've seen him hold it to avoid a turnover.
We've seen him turn it over to avoid a sack.
We've seen him throw for over 300 yards in a bad loss.
We've seen him throw for 180 yards in a beautiful win.
We've seen him have his WR's drop pass after pass.
We've seen him miss on multiple throws.

I think what would make people feel comfortable is does it look right. And we all kind of have an idea of what it's "supposed" to look like.

Whatever that look is, he isn't it enough.

I think last year,  Dallas and New England is the Marcus that would make people so happy. 
What was his stat lines?

Dallas- 21/29- 240 and 2 TDs/1 rushing
New England 16/24-228 2 TDs.

Neither one of those stat lines are "franchise" numbers. But in that game he looked comfortable and he looked confident. He made mistakes in both games. But his overall play was good, he looked good. He was pleasing to the eyes.

Yesterday he played 'aight.' About as good as Brissett did. But, it was not pleasing to the eyes and it was clunky. He looked off.

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Thinking on it, I don't think it's a number that would make people feel good.

It's an aesthetic. This it look right.

We've seen him checkdown and people say he isn't pushing it.
We've seen him push it or force it and people say check it down.
We've seen him hold it to avoid a turnover.
We've seen him turn it over to avoid a sack.
We've seen him throw for over 300 yards in a bad loss.
We've seen him throw for 180 yards in a beautiful win.
We've seen him have his WR's drop pass after pass.
We've seen him miss on multiple throws.

I think what would make people feel comfortable is does it look right. And we all kind of have an idea of what it's "supposed" to look like.

Whatever that look is, he isn't it enough.

I think last year,  Dallas and New England is the Marcus that would make people so happy. 
What was his stat lines?

Dallas- 21/29- 240 and 2 TDs/1 rushing
New England 16/24-228 2 TDs.

Neither one of those stat lines are "franchise" numbers. But in that game he looked comfortable and he looked confident. He made mistakes in both games. But his overall play was good, he looked good. He was pleasing to the eyes.

Yesterday he played 'aight.' About as good as Brissett did. But, it was not pleasing to the eyes and it was clunky. He looked off.

Those are franchise QB numbers though, especially for a franchise like ours. If you take the average of those 2 games that’s 3,700 yards and 32 TD’s in a season with a 69% completion percentage. We would all take that and run with it.

It all goes back to consistency though. More often than not if he’s pleasing to the eye then he’s putting up good stats, and if he isn’t then he isn’t pleasing to the eye. I think higher numbers would absolutely make people happy because it would be a reflection of how he played.

Dallas/New England: played confident, threw it accurately, and was efficient - put up great numbers.

Baltimore/Yesterday: played scared, unsure of himself, missed easy reads, and was confused - put up awful numbers.

He either shows up or he doesn’t, and he doesn’t show up way too often.

15 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Those are franchise QB numbers though, especially for a franchise like ours. If you take the average of those 2 games that’s 3,700 yards and 32 TD’s in a season with a 69% completion percentage. We would all take that and run with it.

It all goes back to consistency though. More often than not if he’s pleasing to the eye then he’s putting up good stats, and if he isn’t then he isn’t pleasing to the eye. I think higher numbers would absolutely make people happy because it would be a reflection of how he played.

Dallas/New England: played confident, threw it accurately, and was efficient - put up great numbers.

Baltimore/Yesterday: played scared, unsure of himself, missed easy reads, and was confused - put up awful numbers.

He either shows up or he doesn’t, and he doesn’t show up way too often.

I don't think those are franchise numbers. When I think franchise numbers I think Brees and Rodgers. 

But for us yeah I guess you are true there. 

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think those are franchise numbers. When I think franchise numbers I think Brees and Rodgers. 

But for us yeah I guess you are true there. 

Those are HoF QB’s though man.

Goff and Wentz have never eclipsed 32 TD’s and they’re being paid as franchise QB’s. 3700/32 is basically equivalent to what Russell Wilson has put up his last 4 seasons. Philip Rivers has only equaled or eclipsed 32 TD’s 4 times in his 13 years as a starter.

I’d say Mariota putting 3700/32 would be a dream scenario for us. Unfortunately it’s just that - a dream.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

lol i'm right there with ya pal but no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater

this loss is one that i will never, ever forget as a fan

the way we lost, the way Mariota played and really showed his true colors....we're back at square 1 as far as I'm concerned. it's week 2, but the sky is falling on this franchise

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

this loss is one that i will never, ever forget as a fan

the way we lost, the way Mariota played and really showed his true colors....we're back at square 1 as far as I'm concerned. it's week 2, but the sky is falling on this franchise

i mean.....mariota's been playing like this for awhile, my dude. it's who he is as a QB at this point. sucks, but that's where we're at