Jaguars trade 2020 5th round pick to Steelers for QB Josh Dobbs

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Minshew played well yesterday but the Jags obviously don't trust him.  They wouldn't have spent a 5th round pick on a guy they plan to be their 3rd string QB when Foles returns.  Minshew will have a short leash.  If he struggles over the next couple of games Dobbs will be the starter.

They absolutely would trade a 5th rounder for a guy to be the backup and eventual 3rd stringer when Foles comes back.  You have to remember, this is the team that traded a 4th rounder for Carlos Hyde mid-season last year because they got impatient with Fournette's health...only to turn around and not use Hyde at all.  They're not afraid to do goofy stuff and burn picks on reactionary kneejerks trying to patch up depth after the fact.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to have limited trust in a 6th round rookie as your starting QB for 10 weeks or whatever.  Really have no idea what you have in him...but they obviously trusted Minshew enough to keep him as the default #2QB out of camp.

3 hours ago, Elky said:

Well if Dobbs was as good as you peg hin Pittsburgh wouldn't slot him as third string.

This guy is wrong far more often than he is right.  He pimped Dobbs coming into the league, and doesnt want to admit he was wrong.

Dobbs has never shown starter potential un Pittsburgh.  Has he made a few nice throws here and there?  Sure....but no more than most backups.  He makes excuses for Dobbs, but doesn't mention that the UDFA rookie QB Dalvin Hodges looked better than Dobbs too...but I'm sure he will find a way to dismiss that too.

I'm not even trying to hate on Dobbs.  Should be a fine 3rd stringer and is still young, but this whole notion he showed starter potential in Pittsburgh is laughable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VanS said:

He's got a great opportunity now with the Jags.  Minshew played well yesterday but the Jags obviously don't trust him.  They wouldn't have spent a 5th round pick on a guy they plan to be their 3rd string QB when Foles returns.  Minshew will have a short leash.  If he struggles over the next couple of games Dobbs will be the starter.

Or it's more an indictment on what the Jags think of the current FA QB class.  And I'll give you a hint, it's not appealing.  There's upside with Dobbs.  Not sure there's any upside with any of the FA QBs right now.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frenchie said:

Why not make a play for Tannehill?  He would have cost more than a 5th, but it’s week 1; and your season hangs in the balance....

Tennessee isn't going to give Tannehill to a division rival in need of a QB. The Foles injury just improved Tennessee's opportunity to win the division, they're not going to hand over a guy who can restore that balance.

Jacksonville would be better served monitoring the situation with the Giants - if Eli plays well but NYG is losing, they're bound to go with Daniel Jones sooner rather than later. If they feel like that's going to happen, part ways with a mid round pick and reunite Eli with Coughin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Tennessee isn't going to give Tannehill to a division rival in need of a QB. The Foles injury just improved Tennessee's opportunity to win the division, they're not going to hand over a guy who can restore that balance.

Jacksonville would be better served monitoring the situation with the Giants - if Eli plays well but NYG is losing, they're bound to go with Daniel Jones sooner rather than later. If they feel like that's going to happen, part ways with a mid round pick and reunite Eli with Coughin.

So unfortunate to have an FO who have to be on the hot seat with last year and where this season is heading barring solid play from Minshew (who I hope works out, love the dude). Did a desperation move for Hyde last year too.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So unfortunate to have an FO who have to be on the hot seat with last year and where this season is heading barring solid play from Minshew (who I hope works out, love the dude). Did a desperation move for Hyde last year too.

... I'd do some unspeakable things for an FO on the hot seat. Seriously, unspeakable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frenchie said:

Why not make a play for Tannehill?  He would have cost more than a 5th, but it’s week 1; and your season hangs in the balance....

And why Dobbs? I can name about two dozen better backups they could have proposed a trade for...

A lot of them probably would have returned more, tbh (the niners wouldn't have traded Mullens for a fifth, and they carry three quarterbacks), and honestly, I'm willing to bet very few teams are willing to part with a competent backup.