GDT Week 1: Raiders @ Titans

CaliforniaKid7

Couldn't wait any longer, it's time for RAIDER FOOTBALL!!!

Date: Sunday, Sept. 10

Time: 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET

TV: CBS

What to Watch For:

Offense

-New Offensive Pieces: How do we incorporate Lynch and Cook into what was already a very successful offense?

-Return of Derek Carr: will there be any rust to shake off after the way last season ended?

-Two TE sets: With Cook, Walford, and Lee I have a feeling we'll see a lot more 2 TE sets than last year.

Defense

-Interior Pressure: Can we get any? MEJ, Vanderdoes, anyone?

-CB Play: Amerson is cleared, does Smith take all the reps at #2? Conley?

-LB Play: Who plays where? Does Morrow see some run as a hybrid LB in obvious passing downs?

Will spice this up a little more after work, Go Raiders!

-

I was concerned about my mental health as I was not getting up for Raider football during the preseason.  In an effort to participate I heard prognosticators on one of the networks say the Titan's will run all over us.  Well, we know our weakness lies in our defense.  I know nothing about the Titan's.  Do they have a strong running game and O Line?  I don't want to start bleeding this early.   

59 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

I was concerned about my mental health as I was not getting up for Raider football during the preseason.  In an effort to participate I heard prognosticators on one of the networks say the Titan's will run all over us.  Well, we know our weakness lies in our defense.  I know nothing about the Titan's.  Do they have a strong running game and O Line?  I don't want to start bleeding this early.   

IMO Titans have a top 4 OL in the league, and a very good 1-2 punch at RBs add in Mariota can be a threat on the ground and yes I can see us giving up a lot of ground yards.
I also think Delanie Walker will eat us alive, and Cory Davis could have an impact on this game as, he is a deep threat and can see him getting behind us. Hopefully game 1 of his career he is a bit of a deer in the headlights.

That said, I think our O will be able to put up points against there D. 
Itll come down too, clock managment, and whoever plays smarter / mistake free football.

Tough game to start out with especially going across country

Unfortunately, our top two WRs have both been injured almost all of preseason. Davis hasn't seen a snap and Decker rolled his ankle in practice before game 2 and hasn't played since. Be interested to see how healthy they are for the opening game. 

It'll be key for us to take some long drives to keep Carr off the field and Cooper and Crabtree from eating up Sims and Ryan. 

My uneducated, totally unbiased guess: 

Titans 31-Raiders 28

1 hour ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

All this negative energy lately can only mean one thing! A Raider blow out!

yeah who am I kidding, if we win it'll probably be something similar to that Saints game last year, and I may finally have a heart attack 

Dude, it'll be just like the Titans game last year.  But worse because I'm not convinced our current defense is better than that one.  And that one was historically bad lmao.

The Titans are to the AFC this year as to what the Raiders were last year. While I think we are better on paper, this game will depend on how well Mariota has matured. Their RB tandem of DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry is impressive, but is Henry really that good. Delanie Walker is an underrated TE and we know how suspect our D is to TEs (Grab Walker in your daily fantasy leagues). I think our Offense will carry us through the game, and though their offense will get plenty of yards, Mariota makes enough mistakes that they can't overcome.

We played the Titans in 2015 (W 24-21) and 2016 (W 17-10) both in Tennessee. Tennessee likes to take advantage of the heat by making us wear our black jersey's, it will be interesting to see if they go this rout again. A lot is often made of west coast teams traveling to the East coast. Judging by last years performance, I don't think that will be an issue.

If there is a trap game on our schedule I believe this would be it, but as I've said I think the Titans will turn heads this year in the AFC and wouldn't be surprised if the pull out the W.

Prediction, Raiders 28 Titans 24

11 minutes ago, R8DR8five said:

Tennessee likes to take advantage of the heat by making us wear our black jersey's, it will be interesting to see if they go this rout again.

Yeah, Titans announced today that we'll be wearing our white jerseys on Sunday. Not that it should be a big deal, looks like a high of only 77.

So this game will not be shown in LA eventhough the Chargers are playing Monday and the Rams are playing a late game.  The best part is when I tried to watch a Raiders game on GamePass it said some local teams are blackedout.  The Chargers, Rams, and you guessed it the Raiders.  No mention of the 49ers.  There must be some thing going on here.  Instead I get to watch Eagles vs Redskins?  They could at least have some logic and show the Cardinals game.  The Cards and Lions even had better combined records last year than the Redskins and Eagles.  How about the the Stations pull their heads out of their @$$*$ and put the Rams on the late Fox game and show the Raiders as an early CBS game.  I know there is a stupid rule why but the rule is exactly that stupid.  Why would the visiting conference get the telecast?  Especialy when it is a local team.  They can atleast listen to their own analysts.  This is my opening rant that will happen a couple more times as the true #1 team in LA (Not implying that this is the only region they are the #1 team) is screwed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Titans will rout us in this one. I'm expecting something like 35-28 with the Titans kneeling it out after running for another first down.

This defense has looked pretty shaky.

My biggest hope is that the team saved all their special stuff for the reg season and only played vanilla coverage schemes in the preseason.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Titans will rout us in this one. I'm expecting something like 35-28 with the Titans kneeling it out after running for another first down.

This defense has looked pretty shaky.

My biggest hope is that the team saved all their special stuff for the reg season and only played vanilla coverage schemes in the preseason.

I also been kind of nervous all week, but once Carr throws a TD on the opening drive or We get a 3 and out on defense on their first drive I'm pretty sure all the jitters will go away!

Surprising enough our defense stepped up a lot last year. I remember some games us getting 3 and outs and our offense falling flat in the first half. I have a little faith our defense will bend, but not break like last year.

I hope for a close well fought high scoring game, where anything can happen at the end. I have faith in Carr&Mack to pull it in at the end.

Realistically it can be an ugly game if the Titans can dominate us with their run game...

I think everyone is getting the jitters here.  I'll be the optimist, our offense will dictate the game.  It will be unstoppable!  I would not be surprised if we put up over 40 points this game.  Carr will start the season with 5 touchdowns.  Cooper will finish the game with over 140 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns.  Lynch will smash the defense into submission and J. Richard/D. Washington will carve them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.  The Titans will make the mistake of relying on the passing game to keep up and that will be their downfall, because K. Mack and R. Nelson will cause turnovers.  Final score 42-21.  It'll be glorious.  So freaking glorious.

Archived