GDT Week 1: Raiders @ Titans

CaliforniaKid7

This should be a really good matchup - Titans obviously have a strong OL and a very good running game and they've invested in the receiving core to help out Mariota. Matchups I'll be very interested in is Jurrell Casey against our uber interior OL and Conklin and Lewan against Irvin and Mack. Also, very keen to see Mario Edwards at 100% for what seems like the first time in an age and can he and Vanderdoes provide any push against the very good Titans interior.

I'd have to say that at the battle of the OL and DL they probably have the edge but I think we have a few more offensive options and a great running game of our own (very excited to see Lynch in full on action where he's running with intent) and ultimately I think our QB has the edge and is just enough to pull us through. 

We need Carr and the offense to get rolling early in this game, putting up TDs and not FGs. If the preseason is any indication, I think our offense is ready to rock. The Titans have solid defensive personnel and a **** Lebeau defense is never easy to go against, but honestly we should be able to move the ball on them. Need to establish an early lead and make the Titans have to throw it more than they would like. Now we are perfectly capable of getting carved up through the air by anybody, but I would feel better if Tennessee had to throw to win the game, as opposed to Murray and Henry methodically running on us and eating up clock and keeping Carr off the field.

Will be interesting to see which Mariota shows up on Sunday. If he is still turnover prone then I see us winning this game comfortably. But if he has taken that next step, I see this being a shootout.

45 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Will be interesting to see which Mariota shows up on Sunday. If he is still turnover prone then I see us winning this game comfortably. But if he has taken that next step, I see this being a shootout.

What exactly is turnover prone? He threw all of 9 interceptions last year. And ten the year before that.

He had a few back breakers the first 4 weeks last year. Hopefully he doesn't start like that this season. 

16 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

What exactly is turnover prone? He threw all of 9 interceptions last year. And ten the year before that.

He had a few back breakers the first 4 weeks last year. Hopefully he doesn't start like that this season. 

He threw 2 interceptions against us last year with no touchdowns and only completed 17 of 33 passes for 214 yards.  So even though our defense was terrible last year, we still made him look pretty bad.  He also lost a fumble against us.  One last thing on this last edit, he fumbled 7 times last  year.

My predition is it will come down to how it starts.  If they can start fast an get a lead we are dead in the water as they play ball control and we can not stop the run.  If we can weather the storm in the beginning Carr will carve up their D and we win by 10+ points.  

Richard Matthews

Eric Decker

Corey Davis

Taywan Taylor

Delanie Walker

I'm hoping Sean Smith can match up with Decker decent enough, while Davis scares me he hasn't had much run (if any?) this preseason due to injury. Taylor scares me because he's exactly the type of WR that has eaten us up in the past. Either Conley/Carrie are gonna have to stick to him tight if he's manning the slot. It'll be interesting to see if Davis is a full go, he'll get some run but I doubt they over do it on the guys first game as an NFL player. 

Start Delanie Walker in your fantasy leagues everyone. Unless a combo of KJ/Morrow/Lee can somehow stick with him, it's gonna be a long day of Walker over the middle  

I'm guessing we see Smith as strictly a boundary CB early in the season but if Conley can show he can man that spot, that could allow Smith to play that in the box S that covers TEs. We've got a lot to figure out with the nickel packages. Wish we had Obi  

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

I think everyone is getting the jitters here.  I'll be the optimist, our offense will dictate the game.  It will be unstoppable!  I would not be surprised if we put up over 40 points this game.  Carr will start the season with 5 touchdowns.  Cooper will finish the game with over 140 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns.  Lynch will smash the defense into submission and J. Richard/D. Washington will carve them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.  The Titans will make the mistake of relying on the passing game to keep up and that will be their downfall, because K. Mack and R. Nelson will cause turnovers.  Final score 42-21.  It'll be glorious.  So freaking glorious.

Jerry, where did you come from?  You are a true optimist but I'll buy in.

43 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

I really hope we start off the season with a win but our secondary i think is gonna make the Titans look like a bunch of all-stars out there. Linebacker and corner play is gonna have to step up right out of the gate or its gonna be a long season.

Why to they have to step up right out of the gate to dictate what the whole season is gonna be like?

More likely they struggle some in the early games as they did last year with new players, guys coming off little to no camp and preseason getting adjusted and conditioned and learning the new keys for communication that Pagano has brought in. There will be lapses in run fits, mental errors in coverage and slow communication but all of those things are known and being worked on but as the season progresses we should see improvement.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

F it...... going homer. I say the Raiders come out and show an improved defense and what we saw in preseason can be chalked up as learning and playing vanilla schemes. Raiders set the pace and dominate. 

This is rare. B| As pessimistic.... but factual and rational as he often is he's addressing this optimistically.

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I'm guessing we see Smith as strictly a boundary CB early in the season but if Conley can show he can man that spot, that could allow Smith to play that in the box S that covers TEs. We've got a lot to figure out with the nickel packages. Wish we had Obi  

I think that may happen on sunday. Smith shifts and plays that Hybrid S/LB on TEs this sunday on 3rd downs, especially if Conley plays. 

20 hours ago, S&B Bleeder said:

Jerry, where did you come from?  You are a true optimist but I'll buy in.

I've been following this forum for what feels like a decade.  I used a handful of names on the old forum (mainly due to forgetting the emails and/or passwords).  I'm not mentioning any of them because I typically stopped posting around 50 posts (I stop following this forum during the off season because everyone stops posting).  

I just think our offense is going to play lights out all year long and I know people say we shouldn't rely on turnovers to win games, but Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin are going to make them happen almost every week.  Same can be said about our secondary.  Plus our players on offense don't turn the ball over very often, so I don't see why we can't rely on positive turnover ratios to produce wins all season long.  

Lastly, I think K. Mack is going to play one of the greatest seasons ever at the ED position.  I just feel it, like he's going to completely take over a handful of games this season.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I've been following this forum for what feels like a decade.  I used a handful of names on the old forum (mainly due to forgetting the emails and/or passwords).  I'm not mentioning any of them because I typically stopped posting around 50 posts (I stop following this forum during the off season because everyone stops posting).  

I just think our offense is going to play lights out all year long and I know people say we shouldn't rely on turnovers to win games, but Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin are going to make them happen almost every week.  Same can be said about our secondary.  Plus our players on offense don't turn the ball over very often, so I don't see why we can't rely on positive turnover ratios to produce wins all season long.  

Lastly, I think K. Mack is going to play one of the greatest seasons ever at the ED position.  I just feel it, like he's going to completely take over a handful of games this season.

Wishful thinking Jerry.  Will this mean I won't have to sedate myself this year?  In anticipation I've already stocked the liquor cabinet.

Archived