Things to look forward to

lavar703

To put it plainly, yesterday sucked. We jump out to the big lead only to see it crumble like we have so many times before. However, there were positives and I think it bodes well for this franchises future. 

-Terry McLaurin- I’ll admit, I didn’t expect this. I don’t believe this was just a flash in the pan deal either as he was catching everything and had completely roasted the defense on another deep ball that Keenum missed. He looked the part of a true top-flight receiver. 

-Cole Holcomb- Lets just get to the point here, he was an animal. In my opinion, outside of Daron Payne he was the best defender on the field. I think this team was truly robbed of a dynamic ILBer duo when Foster went down in spring practices. His instincts and ability to be everywhere he needed to be were very exciting. Rarely, if at all caught out of position, he appears to have the goods. Very impressive start.

-Ereck Flowers- Now maybe this is just me seeing what I want to see and maybe someone who goes through the all-22 will come up with a better breakdown of his play but considering who he was up against I thought he played quite well. He’s not going to be an all-pro but he finally looked like a pro for once. With Callahan, he has a chance to unlike his talents. 

-Daron Payne, Allen and Ioannidis- I don’t think it was shocking the way the defense played once Allen went out. Heck, I almost expected it. His talent is that much that it will be felt big time when he’s not on the field. These three are the heart and soul of the team. They can be absolutely dominant and with better coaching you’ll see them really come alive. 

-Kyle Smith- I’m not sure why he hasn’t been named GM yet or if they’ll let him escape the way they did with McVay but he has a really good eye for talent. Holcomb, McLaurin, Moreland and Harmon are all mid to late round picks that have shined and if/when Sweat turns it on this will be one of our best draft classes that I can remember. Now, it all lies on the arm of Haskins but I’m not sure how instrumental he was in that pick and honestly I think he preferred Burns at that pick. I suspect this time next year he’ll be fully entrenched as the teams GM and he’ll make the decision on our next head coach. I simply cannot imagine a scenario where Snyder allows another young talent like this to walk away. 

With this in mind, I think we need a thread to track our young talent and highlight the positives we see from them and how well it bodes for our future. Just something to keep us from constant negativity. So please, add the positives you saw from players we expect to be around for a long time.

• Like 4

Ereck Flowers wouldn't be the first bust OT to turn his career around at guard.  I'm pretty sure I brought that up earlier.  Robert Gallery is a good example of that.  I think if Flowers can be a guard similar to Gallery- who was good, but not great- I think the investment probably pays off.  

I'm not sure that I subscribe to the "defense was great until Allen went out" statements that are being made.  What I saw was an Eagles team that looked like they were having their pre-season reps when I went back and watched the game in the first half.  It does coincide with Allen leaving sure, but I think the Eagles players needed those reps to get everything together.  And as I said in other places, I don't think you can blame the pass-rush for their performance against arguably the best offensive line in the NFL.  The Eagles have a great group, and they're going to win the trench battles week in and week out.  

Holcomb is another guy who stood out when watching again.  Let's see if it continues.  

Thanks for doing another write up, I enjoy things like this.  

We have a foundation at the DL and a few spots on the OL, TBD are the young WRs, Guice, Bryce Love, Sweat and our Younge DBs. We really have a lot of youth on our team but it has to develop, we’ll add more youth in the coming drafts.

If we get rid of Allen, promote Kyle Smith, fire Gruden and find a real HC, keep our good young players if/when they develop and continue to have a few more good drafts we could be a perennial playoff team by 2022.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We have a foundation at the DL and a few spots on the OL, TBD are the young WRs, Guice, Bryce Love, Sweat and our Younge DBs. We really have a lot of youth on our team but it has to develop, we’ll add more youth in the coming drafts. If we get rid of Allen, promote Kyle Smith, fire Gruden and find a real HC, keep our good young players if/when they develop and continue to have a few more good drafts we could be a perennial playoff team by 2022.

yeah im starting to leaning towards firing gruden, he doesnt seem to be growing and the same issues are lingering year after year.

Just now, mar29020 said:

yeah im starting to leaning towards firing gruden, he doesnt seem to be growing and the same issues are lingering year after year.

I’m with Lavar, I like the guy a lot, he’s very likable but it’s clear that he just doesn’t have “IT,” whatever that is to lead men to victories in the biggest games. He makes questionable decisions in his defensive hirings, he make awful decisions in clock management and while his passing offense is great, whoever designs our run schemes - whether that’s Gruden or Callahan - needs to be fired. 

We haven’t been able to run the ball consistently on offense since we switched from the ZBS to this current system in 2015. It’s been a disaster.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’m with Lavar, I like the guy a lot, he’s very likable but it’s clear that he just doesn’t have “IT,” whatever that is to lead men to victories in the biggest games. He makes questionable decisions in his defensive hirings, he make awful decisions in clock management and while his passing offense is great, whoever designs our run schemes - whether that’s Gruden or Callahan - needs to be fired. 

We haven’t been able to run the ball consistently on offense since we switched from the ZBS to this current system in 2015. It’s been a disaster.

agree 100%. He also isn't disciplined in sticking with the run at all. I think he is fantastic in the passing game department.

• Like 1