Things to look forward to

lavar703

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And why didn’t we have the cap space to re-sign our own guys? 

Because $24 million (29 mil this year) + $8 million + $8 million + $8 million + $5 million + $6 million = $59 million and we don’t have that much cap space.

Also, we did replace those guys with cheaper draft picks. We replaced Kirk with Haskins, Long with Roullier, Breeland with Dunbar - who we re-signed - Crowder with Quinn, PSmith with Sweat, Murphy with Ryan Anderson and I guess Harmon = Ryan Grant’s replacement.

We saved what? $25 million by doing that?

I don’t like Bruce Allen, I hate him just like the rest of us, but he made the correct decisions here and we got some comp picks out of it and will probably get a comp pick for Crowder and PSmith next year.

I find it very hard to thread a needle and complain about any of these decisions except letting Kirk go which was idiotic and if they weren’t going to keep him they should have traded him in 2016 before the season.

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Another dumb move Trading Fuller and a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith. Than you gave him 70 million guranteed. 

I definitely agree with that but I do admit at the time of the trade I wasn’t against it. I was kind of neutral.  I wanted Kirk signed long term and thought Allen screwed up royally by not getting it done, but another reason why it didn’t get done was bc Snyder didn’t want to make Kirk the highest paid QB in the NFL and guarantee his salary either.

I understood why they wanted to get a veteran to replace Kirk instead of just rolling with Colt McCoy and a rookie or another journeyman like Sam Bradford or Ryan Fitzpatrick too.

I nor anyone could have foreseen Alex Smith breaking his leg like Joe Theisman last November and yes, it sucked to lose Fuller and a 3rd round pick but we thought we were gaining a QB who was at the worst just a step below Kirk Cousins for cheaper than Cousins cost. 

And our team was 6-3 when Alex broke his leg. After he broke his leg they finished  they season 1-6. 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because he pissed it away on a crappy aging QB that will never play football again.  

While true, the players who left other than maybe Crowder and Smith aren’t living up to their bloated contracts either. 

Not sure why my main point is flying over peoples heads, but it is.

If we had given those contracts out the last two offseasons, I know almost everyone in this forum would be complaining about it. Especially you bc you think PSmith is only mediocre, well, he got a $52 million contract, he’s making $6 million this year and $13.5 million next year. 

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Sure, but what did I miss with Fuller?

I’d definitely take Bree & Fuller over Norman. I hated giving Norman the QB equivalent deal when we did - honestly could have hurt our ability to re-sign Kirk bc of Norman’s cap number - the deal hasn’t been the worst deal we’ve given out in FA but it’s gotta be top 5.