Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

7 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Listen to Damien Woody, what he said is 100% truth.

Jamal Adams needs to grow up, its a business and hes a luxury at this point. Great talent, but a luxury. 

Woody was a part of us when we had a good team, he knows that those teams were built around having a great OL, DL, and CB play. 

Right now this roster is built to lose football games. We have a amazingly bad OL, we have no edge pass rush, and we have bad CB play. 

Besides QB, those are the 3 most important areas of a team.  But Darnold has NO CHANCE with the team we have, he is 22 yrs old asked to do a lot and to be hit every play. He doesn't have anyone to lean on or a decent OL to protect him.

If we can't get Chase Young, we should trade down. We need picks, we have too many holes.  Chase Young is a dynamic pass rusher that you only get with a top pick, so hes the exception, I'd take him and run with it if possible. Maccagan screwed us by not taking Josh Allen, imagine right now if we had him? We would at least be set at EDGE. Quinnen Williams I didn't want, just because we always go IDL. 

Mac literally had no idea on how to construct a winning team. He was clueless. 

I have faith that Joe Douglas is gonna be better and not ignore the OL, EDGE, and CB. He has a better understanding of what it takes. He didn't give guys away, he fielded calls and made a good move by trading Leo for a 3rd and 4th if he re-signs. We were never going to keep him. That 3rd could go to a starting OL or someone who can help.

I have little faith in Adam Gase though, I have a feeling hes gonna be fired though. 

Good post here, agree with a lot except the last part. You can’t say this team is constructed to lose games and then think Gase won’t get a chance to win with a team Built to you know, win. 

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Good post here, agree with a lot except the last part. You can’t say this team is constructed to lose games and then think Gase won’t get a chance to win with a team Built to you know, win. 

I understand that part, I just don't believe in Gase because of his track record with the Dolphins. He has to prove that he isn't a offense killer right now or a guy who ruins teams. 

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

I understand that part, I just don't believe in Gase because of his track record with the Dolphins. He has to prove that he isn't a offense killer right now or a guy who ruins teams. 

Would you say he over or underachieved with those Dolphins rosters? 

As for the second part that’s something that has to be built upon, you referenced a major issue with this team and that OL play. How many great offenses have poor OL play?

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Would you say he over or underachieved with those Dolphins rosters? 

As for the second part that’s something that has to be built upon, you referenced a major issue with this team and that OL play. How many great offenses have poor OL play?

I’ll start by saying I 100% think that we need to remake this OL. But there are plenty of high scoring offenses that have not good talent across the OL. But those teams have great QBs. And Darnold is no where near that yet. 

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll start by saying I 100% think that we need to remake this OL. But there are plenty of high scoring offenses that have not good talent across the OL. But those teams have great QBs. And Darnold is no where near that yet. 

It doesn't have to be prime PIT or DAL OL's but it need to be competent and right now it's nowhere near that.  I'd much rather have the DAL OL and no weapons then our OL and KC weapons.

We need to address at minimum LT, C, and RG.  If you want to keep Lewis in there and the coaches think Edoga can hold the RT spot while both play at an average level that fine assuming we are getting above average play from the other spots.  You can win with that and our weapons as currently constructed.

I like seeing how other team have went from awful teams to good teams. And I love what the 49ers have done this last offseason. Good OL that they drafted and got in FA. Got 2 star edges in Ford and Bosa along with good DTs they already had. Nothing great in the secondary bc they get to the QB and teams cant run against them enough to win that way. And they were smart at the deadline and got their only weakness in a WR in Sanders to make them a win now team. But I do feel address this position in the draft this next year. Kittle obviously is ahuge weapon as well.

Compare that to us and lets see what we have in common... a good young QB that will show how good he is if protected. Good RBs. Maybe Herndon can be Kittle lite, our WRs are on par with theirs. Where we lack on offense in just the OL as a whole. We need darn near 4 new OLineman.

On defense. We actually have the edge up on ILBs than them and even at safety. They have better CB play, but certainly aren't great at CB. The interior DL is good on both teams. The glaring difference is at Edge. They have 2 star edges when we have 0. Jenkins isn't bad... but far from the level of that of Ford and Bosa.

Summary being we need to remake the OL (no secret there). With what should be high draft picks and a good amount of money in FA... we should be able to do this. What else on offense? 2 WRs bc Robby and DT are FAs after this season. We should be set on offense if we do this.

On defense the glaring thing is 2 edges. We could even get a great edge and see how Jenkins does with a star opposite him commanding attention to make him better. But 2 edges should be needed. After that upgrade at CB, which should be that hard to get a guy or 2. We don't need stars out there. Just guys that can hold their own if we can rush the passer.

How do we get to this? Throw out this BPA approach that we've done the last however many years. Draft what we need as long as the value is there. Prioritize OL, Edge and WR. CB can be solved quite a bit by a good pass rush. Overall this can mostly be done in 1 offseason if done right. But could be totally fixed in 2 offseasons. Hopefully JD shares this same plan.

• Like 2

For the 49ers, I think it's a great combination of developing the team in the right positions and coaching. When he was here in Atlanta, the offense was sharp. Freeman got his nice contract because of him and the team was one of the best. He left, the team has been pretty bad since. I can see JD developing this team the way the 49ers + Ravens build their teams. We've watched the 49ers build themselves to contenders twice since we've made the playoffs and they seem to use the same formula every time. Build the team that can run the ball (Frank Gore/Breida&coleman), A QB they can get production from (Smith & Kaep / Jimmy G.) , Pass rushers (Bosa/Aldon Smith) and so on. 

BPA works only if you know how to scout. It's opinionated. Macc thought Williams was better than Josh Allen when most of us thought differently. So if JD is a really good scout, his form of BPA picking could be much better. 

I agree with @Bobby816 about most of this being done in one offseason only because we didn't trade Bell and we can resign Anderson if the price is right. If not, we would be looking for 2 WR's, RB, and a whole Oline on top of the defensive needs. Hopefully, JD knows this from his time in Philly and Baltimore. I think we have what we need to follow their blueprint this offseason. 

Watching the 49ers and Cardinals.

You see Jimmy in a perfect situation, great coaching, good OL play, run game, and some playmakers. Jimmy has a MUCH more ideal situation for a QB than Darnold does.

Kyler Murray has a coach who moves the pocket and does different things to help him succeed. 

Adam Gase is a turd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Watching the 49ers and Cardinals.

You see Jimmy in a perfect situation, great coaching, good OL play, run game, and some playmakers. Jimmy has a MUCH more ideal situation for a QB than Darnold does.

Kyler Murray has a coach who moves the pocket and does different things to help him succeed. 

Adam Gase is a turd. 

Both of those team GMs gave their coaches the pieces they need. 

Our GM have our coach, well you see it.

Edited by KingOfTheDot

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Both of those team GMs have their coaches the pieces they need. 

Our GM have our coach, well you see it.

Our GM has is coach? Or when he has is coach?

And those teams really come down to the HC. I think Kyle Shanahan is the best offensive coach in the league, so no use comparing Gase to him. Kliff though is working with nobodies and a rookie a QB, and he held his own against the vaunted 49ers defense. It's clear they are better coaches than Gase.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Our GM has is coach? Or when he has is coach?

And those teams really come down to the HC. I think Kyle Shanahan is the best offensive coach in the league, so no use comparing Gase to him. Kliff though is working with nobodies and a rookie a QB, and he held his own against the vaunted 49ers defense. It's clear they are better coaches than Gase.

You clearly know that was a typo. 

Anyway, would you say both of those coaches have better or worse personnel for their schemes than Gase?

Jamal Adams still “not ready” to talk to Douglas or Gase lmao. 80% of Jets fans on Twitter are done with this guy. I personally am one of them.Just screams of an exit strategy and I for one am all for it. Was glad we didn’t take the trade at first...now I wish we had. Furthest thing from leadership.

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Jamal Adams still “not ready” to talk to Douglas or Gase lmao. 80% of Jets fans on Twitter are done with this guy. I personally am one of them.Just screams of an exit strategy and I for one am all for it. Was glad we didn’t take the trade at first...now I wish we had. Furthest thing from leadership.

Exit strategy for sure. He’ll be moved in the offseason for a 1 and 3 probably.