Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Now everything appears to be good with Adams after speaking with Douglas/Gase, as expected. 

Still think there’s a 50/50 chance of him getting traded, simply because of the value he can bring back for a rebuilding team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

He definitely has real love for the team. Maybe not so much for the FO, but he's a real Jet.

I honestly don’t believe that for a second. I believe he shows up and always gives 110%. I think he’s a great football player. I just think he’s FOS too. Joe Douglas would be wise to move him and refrain from giving him Landon Collins money. That would be a huge mistake.

A few thoughts... 

• Another layer in the Adam Gase employment decision is Woody Johnson. It sounds like he’s ending his ambassadorship in Nov 2020 regardless who wins the election. If that’s the case, I don’t see Gase being fired this offseason. He’ll either ride it out and get axed by Woody, who will want to have his say in the next HC (even if JD is given that power), or turn it around to the point where he remains with the team past 2020.
  • With that in mind, the Raiders are a team to look at if you want some hope that the team can stabilize the ship by this point next year... 

The Raiders were a team who routinely got blown out in their first season under Gruden. They had schematic issues on offense, poor line play, and talent deficiency on both sides of the ball. They were the laughing stock of the NFL with Gruden getting much of the same treatment that Gase has been receiving, most notably claims of incompetency. 

Fast forward to 2019, where they hired a new GM and were fairly active in acquiring talent via FA and the draft (having 4 picks in the top 40) and were able to rebuild their line over night. Not all the players acquired received much fanfare, but they were “Gruden’s” players - they were guys who fit into his program. 

They don’t have a “signature win” yet, but they’re sitting at 5-4, Derek Carr is playing excellent, the team overall is putting good complementary football on the field, and are poised for a 2nd half run. 

The Jets don’t have the assets the Raiders had, but that’s why I can’t discount the team trading guys like Le’Veon Bell and Jamal Adams in the offseason. Trading Mack/Amari was wildly unpopular when it happened, but it may have been better for all involved in the long-run. Jets can likely get a late 2nd rounder for Bell if they restructure his contract, and I think they can get a 1st and 3rd at minimum for Adams. That would give the Jets two 1s, two 2s, and two 3s for them to expedite this rebuild. 

15 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

A few thoughts... 

• Another layer in the Adam Gase employment decision is Woody Johnson. It sounds like he’s ending his ambassadorship in Nov 2020 regardless who wins the election. If that’s the case, I don’t see Gase being fired this offseason. He’ll either ride it out and get axed by Woody, who will want to have his say in the next HC (even if JD is given that power), or turn it around to the point where he remains with the team past 2020.
  • With that in mind, the Raiders are a team to look at if you want some hope that the team can stabilize the ship by this point next year... 

The Raiders were a team who routinely got blown out in their first season under Gruden. They had schematic issues on offense, poor line play, and talent deficiency on both sides of the ball. They were the laughing stock of the NFL with Gruden getting much of the same treatment that Gase has been receiving, most notably claims of incompetency. 

Fast forward to 2019, where they hired a new GM and were fairly active in acquiring talent via FA and the draft (having 4 picks in the top 40) and were able to rebuild their line over night. Not all the players acquired received much fanfare, but they were “Gruden’s” players - they were guys who fit into his program. 

They don’t have a “signature win” yet, but they’re sitting at 5-4, Derek Carr is playing excellent, the team overall is putting good complementary football on the field, and are poised for a 2nd half run. 

The Jets don’t have the assets the Raiders had, but that’s why I can’t discount the team trading guys like Le’Veon Bell and Jamal Adams in the offseason. Trading Mack/Amari was wildly unpopular when it happened, but it may have been better for all involved in the long-run. Jets can likely get a late 2nd rounder for Bell if they restructure his contract, and I think they can get a 1st and 3rd at minimum for Adams. That would give the Jets two 1s, two 2s, and two 3s for them to expedite this rebuild. 

I like their way of building a team. I do tend to like SF way of building more. They addressed OL, got multiple good RBs added a WR (a stud TE as well) and 2 edges. All things we need to make us a good team.

We are A LONG ways away from a good team. These teams you talk about had go talent on them and a franchise QB. Is Sam a franchise QB? Gruden is a proven coach and won a super bowl. Gase has not even had a winning season let alone a 500 season. These are way different situations.

• Like 1

Woody wanting to select the next coach is exactly the problem. Keeping an atrocious head coach another year for our other idiot owner to select one is a bigger problem. If they continue to operate like this it won’t matter who the GM drafts. We’ll continue to fail to develop players and operate like a winning franchise. It’s going to continue to be brutal for a while here. 

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Woody wanting to select the next coach is exactly the problem. Keeping an atrocious head coach another year for our other idiot owner to select one is a bigger problem. If they continue to operate like this it won’t matter who the GM drafts. We’ll continue to fail to develop players and operate like a winning franchise. It’s going to continue to be brutal for a while here. 

Yup they will lose more and more fan base too. The jets can get Tom Brady next year and I still would be surprised if we won more than 5 games. 

3 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yup they will lose more and more fan base too. The jets can get Tom Brady next year and I still would be surprised if we won more than 5 games. 

Yeah and they deserve it. Until these idiots realize they have a legit football guy now in the drivers seat and they need to be passengers, no progress will ever be sustainable and maybe not even obtainable. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I like their way of building a team. I do tend to like SF way of building more. They addressed OL, got multiple good RBs added a WR (a stud TE as well) and 2 edges. All things we need to make us a good team.

I'm just trying to make a situational comparison. The 2019 NYJ entering week 10 are very similar to the 2018 Oakland Raiders minus the two high-profile trades. It's my opinion that Gase should be fired, but I'd be happy to see him be successful and prove the outsiders/know-it-all media wrong, just as Gruden has.

In regards to team building, I totally agree with you. Focus on building both lines and add speed everywhere else. I think we have a good passing game to build around long-term (Darnold-Herndon-Crowder), but the priority is the line. You have to keep in mind that SF's OL rebuild has been slow and steady. Most of the players on their line have been together since 2017-18, and their line struggled for the better part of both years. It's not like they were a bunch of studs prior, but they're finally gelling well together and the scheme is shining. Laken Tomlinson and Mike Person were not marquee additions, but they have settled into the system and play well within it. Richburg does his job; he's not great, but he's good at what SF asks him to do. The tackle play has been stellar, especially their late round/UDFA backups who have subbed in for 1st round starters. In short: the SF OL has been built patiently, but I don't think the Jets can afford to do such.

Of the 9 OL on the active roster, 4 will be under contract in 2020 (Winters, Harrison, Edoga, McDermott). 5-of-5 opening day starters are unlikely to be with the team next year. Of the current starters, the only one who seems worthy of re-signing is Alex Lewis. Chuma Edoga has talent but he'll need to get much better if he's to be relied on as a starter next year. The Jets can't afford to be as patient as SF was; they started the slow rebuild of their line in 17-18, whereas the Jets will be entering year 2 of their new regime with an empty cupboard. Jets don't have time to let an offensive line "gel"... the only way to expedite that is get studs on the line where talent > scheme. They need to go out and invest heavy resources in the group - both free agents and draft picks - and hopefully find a diamond along the way (Big V being one who I think can go from career backup to above average starter).

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Let me be clear: I'm not saying that Woody will necessarily arrange a marriage, but he'll want to be involved in the process. Every owner is. If he knows he's coming back, I can't see him letting Christopher OK a second coaching hire within a 1 year span, while still paying the other coach for another 3 years.

Unless continuous disaster ensues, the likely outcome will be that Gase returns and begins the 2020 season as coach. If he's awful you can fire him mid-season or after the season. Joe Douglas would vet/recommend the candidates with Hymie Elhai, and Woody will be involved in overseeing the process. Once Joe makes his recommendation the owner signs off. Hymie then negotiates the contract, which would likely be a 4-year deal in order to align the GM/HC together. HC reports to the GM, GM reports to President/Owner. 

I know the Johnson's have failed us many times before, but you don't sign Joe Douglas to a record breaking 6 year contract and make him one of the highest paid GMs in football to be an errand boy. If Gase is not the answer, Douglas is going to become the clear top dog in the football operation. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Let me be clear: I'm not saying that Woody will necessarily arrange a marriage, but he'll want to be involved in the process. Every owner is. If he knows he's coming back, I can't see him letting Christopher OK a second coaching hire within a 1 year span, while still paying the other coach for another 3 years.

Unless continuous disaster ensues, the likely outcome will be that Gase returns and begins the 2020 season as coach. If he's awful you can fire him mid-season or after the season. Joe Douglas would vet/recommend the candidates with Hymie Elhai, and Woody will be involved in overseeing the process. Once Joe makes his recommendation the owner signs off. Hymie then negotiates the contract, which would likely be a 4-year deal in order to align the GM/HC together. HC reports to the GM, GM reports to President/Owner. 

I know the Johnson's have failed us many times before, but you don't sign Joe Douglas to a record breaking 6 year contract and make him one of the highest paid GMs in football to be an errand boy. If Gase is not the answer, Douglas is going to become the clear top dog in the football operation. 

How believable will it be?    I mean I like the way it sound but it is the Johnson.