Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

For what it's worth: 

I think we all agree it's time to move on but Winters always seemed to have a warrior mentality. Wish him nothing but the best going forward. 

Yeah he was an infuriatingly frustrating guard considering there were times he played dominate ball. Time to move on but I appreciate a bada** no nonsense tough MF like this. I wish him the best. He may have been frustrating but he obviously always had heart. That I will never question. Unlike another guard we had who I still think mailed it in. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah he was an infuriatingly frustrating guard considering there were times he played dominate ball. Time to move on but I appreciate a bada** no nonsense tough MF like this. I wish him the best. He may have been frustrating but he obviously always had heart. That I will never question. Unlike another guard we had who I still think mailed it in. Just my opinion though. 

In fairness, he may have only played dominate ball when he was healthy... since his best years; he tore his rotator cuff at the end of the 2016 season, then played through a torn abdomen in 2017, played through it; this year the shoulder. 

Upon knowing this I’d say I’d be happy to see him back, but as a backup. Respect the hell out of him, but if he’s constantly getting hurt leaves us in a tough spot. Maybe they’ll entertain what they intended to do with Spencer Long (cut him, see how FA pans out and revisit), but can’t go into the offseason projecting him as the starter.

12 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Took the 49ers a while to get back to this. York made a couple bad decisions but gave Lynch and Shanahan time to build this thing up and they’re benefitting. Those 6 year deals were unprecedented at the time. 

Seahawks were laughed at for hiring NFL failure Pete Carroll and look at them since. 

They also fired Chip Kelly after a year to get the right guy. So we need to fire our Chip Kelly to get our Shanahan. 

The Seahawks were built with the legion of boom and beast mode. Lost both of them. The 49ers had that Patrick Willis defense & Kaepernick/Gore. They lost all of them and it only took a few seasons to become contenders again. Two tough teams. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

They also fired Chip Kelly after a year to get the right guy. So we need to fire our Chip Kelly to get our Shanahan. 

The Seahawks were built with the legion of boom and beast mode. Lost both of them. The 49ers had that Patrick Willis defense & Kaepernick/Gore. They lost all of them and it only took a few seasons to become contenders again. Two tough teams. 

I’m not gonna go there. 

Shanahan’s record his first 2 years is abysmal. He would have been ran out of New York. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I’m not gonna go there. 

Shanahan’s record his first 2 years is abysmal. He would have been ran out of New York. 

Probably not because he took over a 1 win team from chip kelly. He came in and brought in 6 wins off the bat + players started to look better under him. He also made the Falcons offense look better. So fans probably would have been fine with him. 

I will be honest. I don’t  think anyone should be back but maybe Alex Lewis. We need a completely new room if we can really swing it in the offseason with both draft and FA. Edoga can come to camp. Maybe he even makes the team, but I would bring in as many options as possible and not be married to anyone. That’s how incredibly bad this unit is. Getting the LT and C is imperative this offseason. That’s the glue. 

Edited by ekill08x

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Probably not because he took over a 1 win team from chip kelly. He came in and brought in 6 wins off the bat + players started to look better under him. He also made the Falcons offense look better. So fans probably would have been fine with him. 

He started 1-11 and got a QB then things got better for him. 

Next year he starts 2-10.

I know he’s been successful this year but the narrative would have been “who can’t coach Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman and Julio Jones”

Regardless of which he and Lynch were given time, York could have pulled the plug early as he did with Kelly and Tomsula but he was patient and it paid off. 

Darnold coming back to the same offense next year will help him tremendously. He’ll be able to play faster because he will already know certain things. Him learning another new offense? Not ideal for his development as it will slow him down. As most know he plays his best uptempo and year 2 in a system will do him a great deal of benefit. 

Build him a wall, grab another weapon via the draft and get Herndon and Q(is his injury career threatening?) back in as well. 

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He started 1-11 and got a QB then things got better for him. 

Next year he starts 2-10.

I know he’s been successful this year but the narrative would have been “who can’t coach Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman and Julio Jones”

Regardless of which he and Lynch were given time, York could have pulled the plug early as he did with Kelly and Tomsula but he was patient and it paid off. 

It's literally been proven that they are not the same without him. Julio is still great but that offense is not the same. Freeman isn't even a threat anymore. Now go look up what people are saying about Ryan. 

Of course, he started bad because he lost Jimmy G by the end of game #3 for the year. This is where him and Gase really separate, he had to play his 2nd and 3rd string QB and still got solid numbers from them. With Mullens starting, his offense still averaged 18ppg. Kittle was the only player on that offense defenses had to plan for. Can't point at their oline because they gave up 48 sacks that year. They were worse than ours under Bowles.  I don't think any of his WRs got over 500yds. But with Bell, Crowder, and Anderson we only averaged 11ppg. With our starters back, we're still only averaging 14ppg. 

You can't compare these coaches. Falcons are currently ranked 20th in points per game right now with the same players. With no Julio or Freeman, the 49ers are 4th. Shan has a system that makes players better. It's being shown with how bad the Falcons has looked without him and how much better the 49ers are with him. Gase has never made an offense look better than they actually were. Moore & Tannehill are performing without him. Chip Kelly got the 49ers job after he failed and killed the roster in Philly. He was fired after a year. Gase got the job after doing the same thing in Miami and got this job. Then he loses to the Miami team that dumped their best players to tank. He's not Shan, he's our Chip Kelly. 

52 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

It's literally been proven that they are not the same without him. Julio is still great but that offense is not the same. Freeman isn't even a threat anymore. Now go look up what people are saying about Ryan. 

Of course, he started bad because he lost Jimmy G by the end of game #3 for the year. This is where him and Gase really separate, he had to play his 2nd and 3rd string QB and still got solid numbers from them. With Mullens starting, his offense still averaged 18ppg. Kittle was the only player on that offense defenses had to plan for. Can't point at their oline because they gave up 48 sacks that year. They were worse than ours under Bowles.  I don't think any of his WRs got over 500yds. But with Bell, Crowder, and Anderson we only averaged 11ppg. With our starters back, we're still only averaging 14ppg. 

You can't compare these coaches. Falcons are currently ranked 20th in points per game right now with the same players. With no Julio or Freeman, the 49ers are 4th. Shan has a system that makes players better. It's being shown with how bad the Falcons has looked without him and how much better the 49ers are with him. Gase has never made an offense look better than they actually were. Moore & Tannehill are performing without him. Chip Kelly got the 49ers job after he failed and killed the roster in Philly. He was fired after a year. Gase got the job after doing the same thing in Miami and got this job. Then he loses to the Miami team that dumped their best players to tank. He's not Shan, he's our Chip Kelly. 

Follow me. 

If Shanahan came here and started with the record he did then the narrative would have been who can’t coach Ryan, Freeman and Julio. 

He didn’t have Jimmy G to start, he was a mid season acquisition so again things weren’t looking good at all until he got competent QB play. 

It’s easy to see the success a coach has and think hey he can just copy and paste that over here but circumstances are different. The 49ers gave him and Lynch time to build. 

You said you can’t compare coaches but then compared Kelly to Gase. So which one is it? 

Either way Shanahan would have been run out of New York starting one season 1-11 and following that up with a 2-10 start. I mean look at the hand Gase was dealt and the start we’ve had and guys want him gone. This city lacks patience, I think that’s very evident.