Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I 100% think Darnold is the better QB and will be the better QB long term... but fact is Allen is on par with him stat wise and is winning games. Therefor I put him at this stage in progressing ahead or Darnold.

Everything just looks bleak right now. I’m hoping after the BYE we are healthier and start to see the potential we thought we would. Playoffs aren’t happening but let’s rattle off some wins and get this program headed on the upswing and maybe more free agents will look to come here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I was being sarcastic. in my predictions. But I'm not sarcastic at all in that I think we made the wrong pick. And you stated in your post exactly why. HE BARELY PLAYED. The #3 pick in the draft should pretty much ALWAYS start right away and produce.

And I care about results and atm Q has produced 0. So until he proves me wrong I'll say we messed up big time. We drafted Leo in the same situation pretty much and he's been average (an awful pick bc of where he was chosen). So based on the past I wouldn't bet on Q changing my mind. He literally has to be Aaron Donald and JJ Watt good for me to think he was a good pick with what we already had on the DL.

This is wildly dramatic. To compare the results of someone who's played 3 games as opposed to about 20 snaps seems premature, no? You emphasize Q barely playing as if it was performance driven, not the result of an injury. 

Also, you seem to always use Leo as an example of being an awful pick, were you not pounding the table for Beasley at the time? Leo's been a disappointment but considering the players who were chosen around him, we could have done worse. 

I wish we would've drafted Allen, but to say that we messed up big time 2 weeks into the season is incredibly irrational logic. Give it some time before you start comparing "results", your mental health will thank you. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

This is wildly dramatic. To compare the results of someone who's played 3 games as opposed to about 20 snaps seems premature, no? You emphasize Q barely playing as if it was performance driven, not the result of an injury. 

Also, you seem to always use Leo as an example of being an awful pick, were you not pounding the table for Beasley at the time? Leo's been a disappointment but considering the players who were chosen around him, we could have done worse. 

I wish we would've drafted Allen, but to say that we messed up big time 2 weeks into the season is incredibly irrational logic. Give it some time before you start comparing "results", your mental health will thank you. 

I’d take Beasley on this team over Leo even now

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d take Beasley on this team over Leo even now

So let me get this straight: 
Q v. Allen (3 weeks)  - You only care about results. 
Leo v. Beasley (4 years) - Despite favorable "results" for Leo, you prefer Beasley? 

Can't help but to question your bias, but I can at least appreciate where your coming from; we're obviously desperate for an edge rusher. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

So let me get this straight: 
Q v. Allen (3 weeks)  - You only care about results. 
Leo v. Beasley (4 years) - Despite favorable "results" for Leo, you prefer Beasley? 

Can't help but to question your bias, but I can at least appreciate where your coming from; we're obviously desperate for an edge rusher. 

I’m against not addressing what we need. We didn’t need a DLineman either of those drafts. We had Sheldon, Snacks and Mo when we drafted Leo and had to play Sheldon as a LB at times. We drafted Q when we have Leo, Anderson and others already. It’s wasting draft picks. And hugely valuable ones at that. It’s awful. So 100% I’d rather draft a guy at a position of need and take a risk. Keep in mind neither Beasley or Allen would have been reaches at our spots. They were right there in terms of valuable.

I’ll also like to add that you're completely taking out how a player would do in a different environment. It’s purely a guess... but I think Beasley’s career would have panned out a lot better if he was here and we actually kept that DL group together. I think our pass rush would be.a lot better if Allen was here period instead of Q. Repeatedly drafting a position we have good players at already is a waste. It honestly is no different than us drafting a safety with a top pick this next draft.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This ain’t college where you can keep bringing in guys at the same spot.

We are already limited in resources between picks and a cap. To keep drafting interior linemen and nothing else has put us in a terrible position. 

Been saying the same thing for the best part of a decade. What really annoys me is all these resources were spent and yet somehow our BEST D-LINEMAN was actually an UDFA. At that time though we had Wilk, Sheldon, Coples and Snacks. That was probably one too many anyway. 

Throw in Leo and Q and it’s clear we’ve not learnt our lesson. There’s a very good probability we will be left with only Q to start next year. It’s just terrible. 

Thats four first round picks (all of which who should be hitting their prime now!) Also a former all pro NT and also throw in two extra third rounders (Ellis and Shepherd) who were waste of picks also. 

I hope Douglas doesn’t follow this stupid trend come next year 🤞🏻

9 hours ago, Dr.O said:

As of now I’d take Allen or Oliver over Williams atm but I wouldn’t  touch Beasly, 1 trick pony who got figured out

I also would have taken Allen or Oliver over Q. On the other hand I think you’re missing @Bobby816‘s point about if we kept our “sons” together, a pass rushing OLB could have become a force. Macs biggest mistake , imo, was putting a 2nd round tender on Snacks instead of signing him to something like 5 years for 30 m. 

Personally I wasn’t a fan of Beasley and would have preferred Fowler,  Scherff, Cooper or Lael Collins. Since 3 of them were already drafted and Collins had that fall from grace so to speak, I thought our choices narrowed down to trading back or Beasley. With our DL being the best unit of the team, I could never computed our taking Williams. 

Funny thing is the best edge rusher in the draft, Hunter, was there for us in the 3rd, but we took Mauldin. 

Edited by Rich51

JD is taking the right approach by only trading late-round picks to fill in some of the holes he didn't create and trying out players in positions we actually need. The challenge is that we could possibly go into the draft with WR, OT, OLB, and CB being a top priority. Before you jump in with the "We have to go oline" comments, you don't want to be like the rams when they selected Greg Robinson because of need and missed out Khalil Mack. So it will be interesting to see how JD handle this offseason. I think the next move he'll make will be to acquire a pick. 

Does anyone know what type of conditional pick we could land if Leo walked? If Falk performs well, he'll be worth a draft pick. We still have to find a center. 

I don't want to watch another team like the steelers rebuild their team and become contenders before we even make the playoffs.