Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

Derrick Henry, Brett Kern, and Mike Vrabel are my gods now. What a fantastic effort by the Titans. They're the kind of team I wish we were.

Some great games to open the playoffs. I thought McDermott's "go for it on 4th and forever" decision was going to lose them the game, but props to them for managing to still send the game to OT. The Texans have all the talent and none of the coaching, while the Bills have usually great coaching and still need some more offensive talent/growth. And for Josh Allen to not randomly lateral with a full minute left in the game (though they didn't end up paying for it).

Edited by TheChad
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever won a game bet in my entire life. If I give bets to people, they always hit, but if I bet it myself - I lose. So this weekend I decided to treat myself and put $25 on the Pats win it all (+1200) and $5 on a decent prop bet (Pats by 6+, Brady 260+ passing, and Henry 75+ yard rushing for +880).

As usual, I lost both my bets. Best $30 I ever spent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets need to see what a ol and edge pressure does for a team.

Btw Quinnen williams was ranked 10th in win percentage on pass rushes.

He had a low-key good year. Reminds me of Gerald McCoy's rookie year. I just hope that we're not in a position in 4 years from now counting a bunch of "all most" sacks. Pressures do matter a lot, but he needs to be getting 5-8 sacks a season. That said, I do see a huge leap for him next year. Can't teach the traits he has, and with his character, I see him making big strides in the offseason program. Big baby needed to get his feet wet, just like he did at Alabama. 

10 hours ago, TheChad said:

Derrick Henry, Brett Kern, and Mike Vrabel are my gods now. What a fantastic effort by the Titans. They're the kind of team I wish we were.

Some great games to open the playoffs. I thought McDermott's "go for it on 4th and forever" decision was going to lose them the game, but props to them for managing to still send the game to OT. The Texans have all the talent and none of the coaching, while the Bills have usually great coaching and still need some more offensive talent/growth. And for Josh Allen to not randomly lateral with a full minute left in the game (though they didn't end up paying for it).

I love Mike Vrabel. He's my favorite coach in the NFL right now

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He had a low-key good year. Reminds me of Gerald McCoy's rookie year. I just hope that we're not in a position in 4 years from now counting a bunch of "all most" sacks. Pressures do matter a lot, but he needs to be getting 5-8 sacks a season. That said, I do see a huge leap for him next year. Can't teach the traits he has, and with his character, I see him making big strides in the offseason program. Big baby needed to get his feet wet, just like he did at Alabama. 

I think we see a jump,  he needs a offseason of nfl training and to get his body in better shape

23 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I love Mike Vrabel. He's my favorite coach in the NFL right now

I really like him as well. It's why if we move on from Gase, I'd really like Dan Campbell to get serious consideration. I see similarities between the two of them. 

34 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Giants hire Judge, get laughed at.

Cowboys hire McCarthy, get laughed at.

Redskins hire Rivera, 6 of 9 seasons under .500 and get applauded

Sometimes the perception of the man Trumps all.

It's this and something called media bias. Hate to acknowledge the elephant in the room, but it's not all that popular to be a conformist white male these days whether it's in the NFL or any other "brand" exposed to the public and covered by the media at large (i.e. Hollywood or politics). Personally, I don't care if you're white, black, green, blue, red, or yellow... just want you to be a good coach. However, it's not always how things are reported these days... the social media society seems to locks arms with whatever is the anti-conformity flavor of the month is for the sake of pushing their ideological agenda, which usually means a minority candidate, non-traditional philosophy (i.e. analytics driven) candidate, or eccentric player-friendly candidate that is willing to scrap traditions of what has worked for the sake of trying something new. I used to love Josina Anderson as a reporter, but now I feel like if she doesn't personally agree with something, all her takes regarding that topic are an attempt at "race-bating"... I've had to unfollow her because of it. Unfortunately it's a very frustrating world we live in today, but I guess in some ways it is necessary for long-term progression. 

Anyway, where the media gets it wrong: balance. Everything in life requires balance to succeed, especially football. There shouldn't be a fine line one way or another. Need to implement a blend of established principles to create a foundation with progressive techniques and methods to help you gain a competitive advantage (i.e. analytics and sports science). Unfortunately, everything is politicized these days - including coaching hires - hence the product you read on twitter and out of the major media outlets. Best to just form your own opinion, cite evidence for why you believe what you do, be patient, and let things play out... chances are, if you have a sound, justified opinion that you can back up with data, you'll get the last laugh when all the reporters flip-flopping their narrative because, well, that becomes the "hot" item of discussion and they need their clicks (i.e. Daniel Jones). 

*end social ideology rant*

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

It's this and something called media bias. Hate to acknowledge the elephant in the room, but it's not all that popular to be a conformist white male these days whether it's in the NFL or any other "brand" exposed to the public and covered by the media at large (i.e. Hollywood or politics). Personally, I don't care if you're white, black, green, blue, red, or yellow... just want you to be a good coach. However, it's not always how things are reported these days... the social media society seems to locks arms with whatever is the anti-conformity flavor of the month is for the sake of pushing their ideological agenda, which usually means a minority candidate, non-traditional philosophy (i.e. analytics driven) candidate, or eccentric player-friendly candidate that is willing to scrap traditions of what has worked for the sake of trying something new. I used to love Josina Anderson as a reporter, but now I feel like if she doesn't personally agree with something, all her takes regarding that topic are an attempt at "race-bating"... I've had to unfollow her because of it. Unfortunately it's a very frustrating world we live in today, but I guess in some ways it is necessary for long-term progression. 

Anyway, where the media gets it wrong: balance. Everything in life requires balance to succeed, especially football. There shouldn't be a fine line one way or another. Need to implement a blend of established principles to create a foundation with progressive techniques and methods to help you gain a competitive advantage (i.e. analytics and sports science). Unfortunately, everything is politicized these days - including coaching hires - hence the product you read on twitter and out of the major media outlets. Best to just form your own opinion, cite evidence for why you believe what you do, be patient, and let things play out... chances are, if you have a sound, justified opinion that you can back up with data, you'll get the last laugh when all the reporters flip-flopping their narrative because, well, that becomes the "hot" item of discussion and they need their clicks (i.e. Daniel Jones). 

*end social ideology rant*

Best thing I’ve read on here in a while, thanks for sharing. 

In the event, however unlikely, that Brady ends up playing elsewhere next season... where do you think he might go?

It's a bit of an interesting situation because the team would have to be good, but not have a great QB already. A difficult combination these days.

Rivalries aside I'm thinking:

• Steelers if Ben leaves. They almost made the playoffs with Rudolph and Hodges all season.
  • Bills. McDermott is a great coach and they have a great D. He could potentially do enough to get them to go far. Maybe he'd love to play Belichick twice a year? I'd actually love to see it.
  • Bears?
  • Colts? I'm not that familiar with their roster but they were in good shape with Luck.