Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

8 minutes ago, TheChad said:

In the event, however unlikely, that Brady ends up playing elsewhere next season... where do you think he might go?

It's a bit of an interesting situation because the team would have to be good, but not have a great QB already. A difficult combination these days.

Rivalries aside I'm thinking:

• Steelers if Ben leaves. They almost made the playoffs with Rudolph and Hodges all season.
  • Bills. McDermott is a great coach and they have a great D. He could potentially do enough to get them to go far. Maybe he'd love to play Belichick twice a year? I'd actually love to see it.
  • Bears?
  • Colts? I'm not that familiar with their roster but they were in good shape with Luck.

I think there’s a 90% chance he plays for NE next season. I think there’s a 9.99% chance he retires. And I think there’s a .01% chance he plays elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheChad said:

In the event, however unlikely, that Brady ends up playing elsewhere next season... where do you think he might go?

It's a bit of an interesting situation because the team would have to be good, but not have a great QB already. A difficult combination these days.

• Steelers if Ben leaves. They almost made the playoffs with Rudolph and Hodges all season.
  • Bills. McDermott is a great coach and they have a great D. He could potentially do enough to get them to go far. Maybe he'd love to play Belichick twice a year? I'd actually love to see it.
  • Bears?
  • Colts? I'm not that familiar with their roster but they were in good shape with Luck.

Tennessee, Vegas, or LA(chargers). 

Vegas and LA would likely offer a cousin's esc contract(multi year fully GTD) as they both are in huge need of a ticket seller and Brady will certainly excite fan bases.

The titans have the Vrabel brady connection, plus Tannehill isnt that good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheChad said:

• Bears?

I know that many are dismissing the Chargers due to some preconceived notion that they'll be loyal to Rivers, but I'm not so sure. They're the one team where it can make sense for all sides, reason being: money. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/10/11/los-angeles-chargers-revenue-could-take-hit-from-low-psl-sales/#6f0c1aa2665a

If there's one player that can help them close that $300 million PSL gap, it's Brady/a new QB. LA is not loyal to Rivers, and they're an unloyal group of fans - they want the big name, the iconic brand, and when they have it, they'll pony up the money for the seats. Who can better do that than Brady? He would become the center of attraction, and the Chargers could still draft a young QB to begin developing as his heir apparent, considering that he has been fairly open that 2 years is the (likely) max he'll pay. 

With some tinkering, the Chargers will have north of $70 million in cap with 50 players under contract. They can offer Brady a 2 year, $60 million "fully guaranteed" deal (with conditions). Now, I know the Spanos family is cheap, but from a business prospective, they probably would rather pay that money to Brady rather than Rivers - even if the later is better right now - only because the amount of money they can make from landing Brady... PSL sales, merchandise sales, new sponsors... opportunities are endless. 

The second part: why would Brady do it? First, the offensive weapons are superior than what he had in NE and tailormade for his style of play - the combo of Henry/Allen/Ekler is very comparable Gronk/Edelman/White (if not better)... oh and don't forget about Mike Williams. As for the offensive line: they have the resources to make improvements in key areas, especially considering that they don't have glaring holes on defense when healthy. Second, LA. LA gives Brady the opportunity to end his career back home in California, to be in the literal spotlight of the NFL in a new stadium where he's "the man" - not in the shadow of Belichick - with an opportunity to have a louder voice (may be able to pick his own QB coach, have a say in playbook, etc.). Also, don't discount his life away from football: LA would be the perfect place for him to catapult his TB12 brand and really grow it into something big, while also "meeting in the middle" with his wife; she has wanted him to retire, but living in LA full time would be a nice compromise. Third? The Patriots and Chargers play each other in LA next season, which could become the highest profile/most watched NFL regular season game of all-time, and it would absolutely be slated for early in the season on SNF/MNF. 

The only other team I would think is the Colts, but that carries less appeal. LVR don't make very much sense as their talent isn't as good, but they're similar to the LAC in a lot of ways given the new stadium/new market/etc. 

Personally, I think it's really only the Chargers or the Patriots, and I think it's a real 50/50 proposition. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I know that many are dismissing the Chargers due to some preconceived notion that they'll be loyal to Rivers, but I'm not so sure. They're the one team where it can make sense for all sides, reason being: money. 

By the way, regardless whether the Pats move on from Brady or not, I fully intend on them signing Marcus Mariota to be the potential replacement. Very funny feeling that Bill will feel he knows how to use him. 

11 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

By the way, regardless whether the Pats move on from Brady or not, I fully intend on them signing Marcus Mariota to be the potential replacement. Very funny feeling that Bill will feel he knows how to use him. 

I could see that. I see them Maybe drafting a guy though. For some reason I think they draft Frohm in Round 1 or 2. And why do I say that? Bc NE continuously gets players I like. Ever since Frohm was on that Netflix show QB1... I’ve liked him (kid is humble and has a very likebale personality, think the opposite of Mayfield 😉). I think Brady continues playing in NE and they draft a guy in Round 1 or 2 this year.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I could see that. I see them Maybe drafting a guy though. For some reason I think they draft Frohm in Round 1. And why do I say that? Bc NE continuously gets players I like. Ever since Frohm was on that Netflix show QB1... I’ve liked him (kid is humble and has a very likebale personality, think the opposite of Mayfield 😉). I think Brady continues playing in NE and they draft a guy in around 1 or 2 this year.

Please no. Fromm is also a favorite of mine, and I think he's easily one of the best decision makers in the draft - he's just not super flashy. He'd be perfect for NE's passing system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Really happy for Vrabel because the recent hype for offensive-minded coaches really got annoying to me. 

Game planning has been great. They don’t have this incredible defense. But they do have a great OL and RB. Running them to keep the ball out of the opposing offenses hands (Brady and Jackson). Keeping the defense fresh as well.

Geeez I swear I’ve said we should beef up the OL and add offensive talent since I’ve been on this board. Rather than keep drafting defense. That just by moving the chains, scoring and resting our defense they will be better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Game planning has been great. They don’t have this incredible defense. But they do have a great OL and RB. Running them to keep the ball out of the opposing offenses hands (Brady and Jackson). Keeping the defense fresh as well.

Geeez I swear I’ve said we should beef up the OL and add offensive talent since I’ve been on this board. Rather than keep drafting defense. That just by moving the chains, scoring and resting our defense they will be better.

I value coaches like Vrabel who instill an identity and culture of toughness. There was a lot that went wrong in the Rex Ryan era from his handling of relationships in the building to the lack of discipline on the players conduct to inability to develop players on offense, but that coaching mentality works in this league, especially with young teams. 

What I love about Vrabel is that he's clearly got the respect and love from his players, doesn't take ****, but he's also "one of the guys"... extremely hard to find that and he has largely due to such a long and decorated career in the NFL. There offense is working perfectly because their OL is elite, they have a 6'3, 250 explosive bruiser who is in his peak athletic prime and is of the best pure runners in the league right now, and a veteran mobile QB who is thriving off play-action - routinely hitting the open target. It's been fun to watch; I feel nostalgic as if I'm reliving the 2009-2010 Jets era. 

That said, as we saw with our Jets, this recipe won't last forever- inevitably their offensive line play will regress and Derrick Henry's talent will diminish, so for Vrabel's sake I hope Tannehill can be more than an athletic game manager in the future. Everyone is pointing to his success being because he's not with Gase, but clearly missing that it's a derivative for being allowed to play in such a simply crafted role within the offense (just like Sanchez played during our playoff runs). That's not to discredit him at all, as I've always loved Tannehill as a prospect, but if he and the Titans are going to be sustainably good over the next 3-5 years, Tannehill will have to be the complete QB Gase was asking him to be to keep that team in contention year in and year out.  

Going to be tough for me to root next week either way. Love Vrabel, went to PSU during the Billy O years/respect the hell out of that psychopath, and really feel Andy Reid deserves to win a title. Good news is that I get to root for the AFC this year for the first time in forever. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Really happy for Vrabel because the recent hype for offensive-minded coaches really got annoying to me. 

Derrick Henry is having one of the best postseason runs I've seen at rb.

Lamar it's you want to limit his running and easy passes. Hes a guy who really benefits from his great ol, plenty of times he looked confused and slow to make a throw but had all day. Most of his stats came in garbage time. If you take away his run game and make him throw, usually you win on defense.

All these teams with great ol and dl make me hope the jets get back to that. 

46 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Adams been throwing hella shade at the organization this weekend.

I understand wanting to be in the playoffs but once again the kid bringing unnecessary attention to our team. 

Dude was first team All-Pro under GW and is throwing shade at how he was used. 

He really never shuts the **** up and its becoming more than mildly annoying.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

He really never shuts the **** up and its becoming more than mildly annoying.

Love the player but he’s a ME guy. Look at ME, look what I did. 

And all it does is help push negative narratives surrounding the team. His energy could be beneficial in so many other areas.