Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We are starring at a top 5 pick right now. We 100% can’t trade a 1st away!!!

I mean have you guys not seen how stacked the DT class is this next draft?!?!

I think this is a major overreaction.  Top 5 pick?  Once Darnold gets back and the schedule softens you know we will have 6-7 wins when the season ends especially if the defense keeps playing like last night.  We'll be in the 9-13 range probably.

I still wouldn't trade it for Ramsey but I seriously doubt we are picking top 5.

Could we have something in Hairston?  Glad we benched that bum Johnson because we may have a decent CB in Hariston.  Totally worth developing this year and yes I still 100% would trade Leo straight up for Rasul Douglas.  I think a feisty CB duo of Douglas and Hairston could be good enough moving forward assuming we can get any sort of pass rush.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think this is a major overreaction.  Top 5 pick?  Once Darnold gets back and the schedule softens you know we will have 6-7 wins when the season ends especially if the defense keeps playing like last night.  We'll be in the 9-13 range probably.

I still wouldn't trade it for Ramsey but I seriously doubt we are picking top 5.

I love the optimism, but when we are 0-6 guys will start going on IR like they always do in seasons. 7 wins if everyone is healthy and so far that looks like a long shot. Not to mention we have the worst offensive line we have had in quite some time. Aside from Miami, there’s not another team you can pencil in and say that’s a win right now. 

Ugh, talking with this dolphins fan this morning. He makes a good point, unless Darnold turns out to be VERY good we might be in the worst shape of any team in the league. The amount of draft picks the Fish have the next 2 drafts is disgusting. We would be salivating over it. If they do land the first overall pick and take their guy, I have to say he’s right.

The Jets are not a team on the rise 

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Ugh, talking with this dolphins fan this morning. He makes a good point, unless Darnold turns out to be VERY good we might be in the worst shape of any team in the league. The amount of draft picks the Fish have the next 2 drafts is disgusting. We would be salivating over it. If they do land the first overall pick and take their guy, I have to say he’s right.

We won’t be good again next year. We just need to keep draft picks and let Douglas build his team. Unfortunately I feel like Gase is already a waste of Darnolds development. 

In terms of dolphins yes they have picks but they literally have the worst roster in football by far. They are starting with nothing. Jets definitely need to start over and bring in young athletes. The skill positions and offensive line is pathetic 

^ The Mac effect. Too many draft misses. I have high hopes for Douglas to right the ship. We need him, Gase, and Darnold to work out so badly. In my time watching, the Jets have been relevant 5 times: 2002, 2004, 2008 until we hit 8-3, 2009, 2010. It's been too long.

I'm going to give myself a gift next week and watch Ravens-Chiefs instead of our game. Should be a great one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I love the optimism, but when we are 0-6 guys will start going on IR like they always do in seasons. 7 wins if everyone is healthy and so far that looks like a long shot. Not to mention we have the worst offensive line we have had in quite some time. Aside from Miami, there’s not another team you can pencil in and say that’s a win right now. 

I know what you mean but I'm not being homer honestly.  I seriously doubt we pick top 5.  Unless we start dropping like flies as you say no way we roll over and die.  We still have MIA twice, WAS, CIN, BUF, NYG, OAK, JAC, PIT.  All winnable games.  Not saying we'll win them all but if we win about half that's like 5-6 wins which is unlikely to be a top 5 pick.  Maybe 9-13 is too high because BUF had 6 wins adn picked 7th last year.  I guess 6-10 range is more likely.

I hope we can just trade down no matter where we pick unless a stud LT is there for us to draft.  There is no glaring issue more then OL at the moment. 

Edited by Rockice_8

13 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Darnold will be fine.  That never crossed my mind.  We seriously need to repair this OL in a major way though because in two week our QB's have been running for their lives.

Outside of KO this OL needs a complete rebuild at LT, C, RG, and RT (hopefully we see Edoga eventually to get him some RT reps this year to see if he's the answer).

MIA is in terrible shape even with all those picks since you have to hit on them for them to be worth anything and until they do they are not worth anything.

Edited by Rockice_8

41 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Darnold will be fine.  That never crossed my mind.  We seriously need to repair this OL in a major way though because in two week our QB's have been running for their lives.

Outside of KO this OL needs a complete rebuild at LT, C, RG, and RT (hopefully we see Edoga eventually to get him some RT reps this year to see if he's the answer).

MIA is in terrible shape even with all those picks since you have to hit on them for them to be worth anything and until they do they are not worth anything.

KO can go too. He was horrible week 1 and still nothing special week 2 plus he makes a premium. PURGE!!!

I don’t want to overreact but for the first time I’m willing to acknowledge that it’s probably best to build around Quinnen and see what we can get for Leo. Douglas has his ties to Philly, who lost both Malik Jackson and Timmy Jernigan for the season. We all need a change of scenery, and Leo isn’t going to alter our win total at all in 2019. He’s a FA after the season and the Jets have a lot of young DL who deserve to be evaluated in a “rebuild” season.

I won’t be shocked to see us end the year 7-9 despite a poor start (which is right around where many of us expected), but it’s becoming apparent to me that Leo is not living up to his ability and is unlikely part of our future plans unless he takes a massive discount, which he won’t do given how much the market overpays for potential. With or without him we have a talented DL rotation, so might as well see what we can get for him while we still can.

• Like 2

Guess we were in a no win situation during the Leo draft because the other guy we wanted has been downright terrible in Beasley.  I was all for trading Leo last year for a 2nd or 3rd and nothing has changed my mind other then the asking price which is dropping by the day.  Hope his PFF rating is still decent so someone is tricked into thinking he's good.

I'm gonna bang the table for Rasul Douglas until Joe makes it happen.

And for the love of God keep Johnson benched.

I mean how much worse can it get now with Jenkins going down.  He was the only decent pass rusher we had even though Basham got one last night.  Hope it's not serious.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t want to overreact but for the first time I’m willing to acknowledge that it’s probably best to build around Quinnen and see what we can get for Leo. Douglas has his ties to Philly, who lost both Malik Jackson and Timmy Jernigan for the season. We all need a change of scenery, and Leo isn’t going to alter our win total at all in 2019. He’s a FA after the season and the Jets have a lot of young DL who deserve to be evaluated in a “rebuild” season.

I won’t be shocked to see us end the year 7-9 despite a poor start (which is right around where many of us expected), but it’s becoming apparent to me that Leo is not living up to his ability and is unlikely part of our future plans unless he takes a massive discount, which he won’t do given how much the market overpays for potential. With or without him we have a talented DL rotation, so might as well see what we can get for him while we still can.

About time you came around to this idea ;)

He doesn't alter games at all. And we have over valued him bc of his draft position. Fact is we are pretty much screwed with his situation.

No team is giving us a good draft pick for him. After all he's just not that good. So trading him for what a 3rd at best? Just is awful.

But keeping him is just as pointless. Bc we certainly shouldn't pay him. He's not worth his current salary, never mind a new deal paying him more or equal.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

About time you came around to this idea ;)

He doesn't alter games at all. And we have over valued him bc of his draft position. Fact is we are pretty much screwed with his situation.

No team is giving us a good draft pick for him. After all he's just not that good. So trading him for what a 3rd at best? Just is awful.

But keeping him is just as pointless. Bc we certainly shouldn't pay him. He's not worth his current salary, never mind a new deal paying him more or equal.

What sucks is that he'll be a good player for a team that doesn't have such high expectations for him. His talent is undeniable, but with Quinnen/Anderson under contract and Leo being a free agent, you might as well trade him if you don't plan on franchise tagging him. At this point, I can't see JD using the tag when you factor in the amount of DL depth available in FA that'll cost 1/4 of the price that the franchise tag would, while providing solid production. Timmy Jernigan is a perfect example of someone who they can replace Leo with on the cheap (coming off back-to-back injuries, but only 27-28 and could be had on a salary about 15% of what Williams will get, but a lot closer in terms of ability). 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

What sucks is that he'll be a good player for a team that doesn't have such high expectations for him. His talent is undeniable, but with Quinnen/Anderson under contract and Leo being a free agent, you might as well trade him if you don't plan on franchise tagging him. At this point, I can't see JD using the tag when you factor in the amount of DL depth available in FA that'll cost 1/4 of the price that the franchise tag would, while providing solid production. Timmy Jernigan is a perfect example of someone who they can replace Leo with on the cheap (coming off back-to-back injuries, but only 27-28 and could be had on a salary about 15% of what Williams will get, but a lot closer in terms of ability). 

I'd dump Anderson for a late pick too.  Waste of money. 

By the trade deadline I'd be looking to dump Leo, Anderson, KO and Shell for picks because we'll need them. 

The good news is with some minor tweaks by cutting some dead weight (Winters, Johnson, Roberts, KO if we can't move him) we'll have 100M in cap space.  Bad news is we'll have no OL and only 27 players under contract.

Starting players in place:
QB: Darnold
RB: Bell
TE: Herndon
WR: Anderson, Crowder
OL: Edoga (RT maybe?)

Assuming a 4-3 look
DT: Q/Fatukasi/Phillips/Shepard/Kaufusi are enough depth there
DE: Jenkins
ILB: Mosley/Cashman
CB: Hairston (maybe?)
SS: Adams
FS: Maye

Right now I'm seeing new starting players at 
WR - 1 at least
LT
LG
C
RG
DE/OLB
CB

That's quite a lot to fill even with 100M which doesn't include getting actually depth.  I'd say Douglas has his work cut out for him but at least we appear to flexible and able to turn it around quick with some smart moves.