Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

I’m fine if we sign Spence or pick up Charlton off waivers. Maybe a change of scenery will ignite something. However,, when they came out, I didn’t like Charlton at all (too slow) and although I liked Spence, he disappointed me a little with his combine.   I liked Willis. He had a strong senior year with 11.5 sacks and according to PFF 80 QB pressures. His combine was exceptional. All three of these guys have underperformed in the NFL. However, as an edge rusher, I think Willis has the most potential of the three.

6 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I’m fine if we sign Spence or pick up Charlton off waivers. Maybe a change of scenery will ignite something. However,, when they came out, I didn’t like Charlton at all (too slow) and although I liked Spence, he disappointed me a little with his combine.   I liked Willis. He had a strong senior year with 11.5 sacks and according to PFF 80 QB pressures. His combine was exceptional. All three of these guys have underperformed in the NFL. However, as an edge rusher, I think Willis has the most potential of the three.

I wasn't a Taco fan either. Wasn't a speed edge rusher that we need. More in the mold of a Calvin Pace/ Coples type. At this point we just need young talent. Also adding him on waivers should open the door to be open to trading Leo for a player or a draft pick.

The only issue I see with Taco is that he's may be best inside (where he played at Michigan) at the 3-tech.  I guess we can try him at both 5-tech DE and 3-tech inside and see if he sticks but we have plenty of interior players already.

He could step in next to Q playing the 1-tech in rotation with Fatukasi/Phillips assuming we smarten up and dump Leo soon.  We really need Jenkins back but also one of Basham or Willis to step up on the edge.

23 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Something crazy must be happening. Unless he's a jerk, we need to pick him up. 

Ya I was a big fan of him in that loaded draft class (like I was with all the WRs that draft early). He is a weird situation bc he hasn’t had any big injuries. He broke his thumb years ago that shouldn’t have affected anything. And he had a hamstring a couple years ago that had him miss games.

I’d take a shot on him. He need talent period.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya I was a big fan of him in that loaded draft class (like I was with all the WRs that draft early). He is a weird situation bc he hasn’t had any big injuries. He broke his thumb years ago that shouldn’t have affected anything. And he had a hamstring a couple years ago that had him miss games.

I’d take a shot on him. He need talent period.

I mean on this team he’d be on the field 90% of the snaps considering DT seems like a waste already. 

I echo the sentiment of most of you: take a shot on Taco Charlton. Guy has talent, he's young, and he's a pass rusher. What do you have to lose? If you bring him in and he doesn't buy-in, cut him. That simple. 

Anyway, we're looking at an 0-3 start and it feels like the coaching staff is preparing for it. With the week 4 bye, we're likely not going to force any injured players to play. I hope we can enter week 5 with a healthy team, find a way to win, and see where our season goes from there. This season is an evaluation year where we want to see the guys grow together and player's reach their potential. I was extremely bummed to see Jordan Jenkins go down; he had a fantastic game 1 and was good early in game 2... AND contrary to popular belief he's been utilized as a designated pass rusher. 

Hoping he gets healthy by week 5 so we can see if he's for real or not. If he can develop into that 1b pass rusher, he's a priority re-sign for us. 

We REALLY REALLY need to win 1 out of the next 3 after the bye.  It's PHI/DAL/NE.  At 1-5 there's still a glimmer of hope to get hot once the schedule weakens where we could possibly be 8-7 entering week 17 with BUF.  Not sure if we'd still be eliminated at 8-7 but with that stretch no reason we can't run off like 7 of 9.

I mean most likely we'll drop one we should win to JAC, OAK, WAS type team and be out of it but INDY did it just last year after a 1-5 start so it's possible.

The OL really needs to stop blowing assignments though.  If they get beat that's one thing but to leave guys unblocked is unacceptable.  The defense appears to be decent enough to keep us in games which is totally the opposite of what we thought that the offense would have to score a ton to win.  

36 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We REALLY REALLY need to win 1 out of the next 3 after the bye.  It's PHI/DAL/NE.  At 1-5 there's still a glimmer of hope to get hot once the schedule weakens where we could possibly be 8-7 entering week 17 with BUF.  Not sure if we'd still be eliminated at 8-7 but with that stretch no reason we can't run off like 7 of 9.

I mean most likely we'll drop one we should win to JAC, OAK, WAS type team and be out of it but INDY did it just last year after a 1-5 start so it's possible.

The OL really needs to stop blowing assignments though.  If they get beat that's one thing but to leave guys unblocked is unacceptable.  The defense appears to be decent enough to keep us in games which is totally the opposite of what we thought that the offense would have to score a ton to win.  

I’m not concerned about the playoffs really. It’s about growing, giving the players something to play hard for, maybe find a few more starters, etc.