Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

30 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Lamar probably wouldn't be doing that here, he has a elite ol, elite run game and scheme.

Most of his td passes are pretty basic throws that are open due to teams not being able to stop the run. 

Lamar and the ravens are playing great right now.

Yeah I would have never believe this at the start of the season. They beat up the Pats & Rams real bad. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah I would have never believe this at the start of the season. They beat up the Pats & Rams real bad. 

The Ravens are the NFL's most interesting team. They have gone all in on analytics, Lamar is playing insane, and their team as a whole is rallying. That said, you won't find me in the Lamar > Darnold/Baker bandwagon. 

Lamar is a phenomenal talent. He's doing things we've never seen before, and while his single-season ceiling is higher because of what he can do on the ground, what he's doing is not sustainable over the course of a 15-20 year career (the "new" career length for a franchise QB). Why?

1. Injury is bound to be a factor, and whether or not it will diminish his running ability is TBD. 
  2. Defenses will adjust over time. He gets a lot of open passing lanes because defenses are playing on their heals, but once someone "cracks the code", we'll see more realistic play out of him. 
  3. QBs in the ilk of Sam Darnold and even Baker Mayfield will develop into "recession-proof" players. Sam's gift is that he's a thoroughbred - he can do things inside-and-outside of structure as a passer regardless what offensive scheme he's in and regardless what the defense is throwing at him. Will he experience bad games or slumps? Of course. He's obviously made a lot of mistakes this year and last, but when he gets into his "prime" - age 27-34 - you'll see consistently great play. I feel the same for Baker, but to a lesser extent. 

Once there is a blueprint on how to defend this offense, I think we'll see a player who will come a little bit back to earth, but still be very good (think Kaepernick/Vick/Cunningham in their best years). Question is whether he can be that player for the next 10+ years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The Ravens are the NFL's most interesting team. They have gone all in on analytics, Lamar is playing insane, and their team as a whole is rallying. That said, you won't find me in the Lamar > Darnold/Baker bandwagon. 

Lamar is a phenomenal talent. He's doing things we've never seen before, and while his single-season ceiling is higher because of what he can do on the ground, what he's doing is not sustainable over the course of a 15-20 year career (the "new" career length for a franchise QB). Why?

1. Injury is bound to be a factor, and whether or not it will diminish his running ability is TBD. 
  2. Defenses will adjust over time. He gets a lot of open passing lanes because defenses are playing on their heals, but once someone "cracks the code", we'll see more realistic play out of him. 
  3. QBs in the ilk of Sam Darnold and even Baker Mayfield will develop into "recession-proof" players. Sam's gift is that he's a thoroughbred - he can do things inside-and-outside of structure as a passer regardless what offensive scheme he's in and regardless what the defense is throwing at him. Will he experience bad games or slumps? Of course. He's obviously made a lot of mistakes this year and last, but when he gets into his "prime" - age 27-34 - you'll see consistently great play. I feel the same for Baker, but to a lesser extent. 

Once there is a blueprint on how to defend this offense, I think we'll see a player who will come a little bit back to earth, but still be very good (think Kaepernick/Vick/Cunningham in their best years). Question is whether he can be that player for the next 10+ years.

I hope someone cracks the code before December 12th so we don't get blown out. 

I will consider Lamar Jackson as a solid NFL qb if he can morph into a legitimate passer when running is no longer an easy option.  Today, winning is important in sports world and Jackson makes it possible for Ravens. That is something we can't deny but it doesn't mean he is the one we will hungrily seek for; Kirk Cousins for example.

Edited by JetsandI

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Good point, the Ravens are a interesting team, they came to Baltimore form Cleveland twenty years ago, and have won a SB and have been a very competitive team every year. They are like the St Louis Cards in baseball. I wonder how some teams can rebuild over night

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

If Lamar can play the way he has for 10-12 years and can win a super bowl or 2, you take that and run with it. 

It might happen. But Cam won MVP doing some really dynamic things and he was built for it. Now look. 

Ravens are playing to Jackson’s strengths but they’re not a team where I would say they’re versatile. Everything they do is based off his ability to be you with his legs. If that option is taken away then what happens? It’s going to be interesting to watch. 

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Trying not to look ahead here, but I can't help wondering if Jamaal will be asked to spy Jackson all game. 

We all know he loves the spotlight, what bigger stage/opportunity could you ask for right now? 

We aren’t winning that game but Adams hopefully can slow him down. I just want to look respectable and not get blown out. They are scoring TDs on 90% of their drives right now and their D is very very good.

Realistically I want to win the next two, take a respectable L in Baltimore and beat Pitt at home. If somehow BUF loses to DAL, BAL, and NE...I want the chance to go 8-8 and hopefully beating them knocks them out of playoff hopes. I’m done thinking about the Miami game or the first BUF game. We are what we are, but rallying and finishing .500 and getting revenge for week one makes that 8-8 look pretty solid. Like we said in August, not all 7-9s 8-8s and 9-7s are created equal...our 8-8 would likely feel better than their 9-7. That’s what I am rooting for. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Trying not to look ahead here, but I can't help wondering if Jamaal will be asked to spy Jackson all game. 

We all know he loves the spotlight, what bigger stage/opportunity could you ask for right now? 

I think I remember reading somewhere that was the game plan LSU used against Louisville in their 2016 bowl match-up and LSU dominated 29-9.  Heisman winner Lamar Jackson was 10/27 for 153 yards passing and 26 carries for 33 yards rushing.