2019 Week 2 PACKERS vs vikings GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

On 9/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, Shanedorf said:

MLF is not a very good liar just yet.
When asked about Bahk missing practice, his prognosis etc MLF has several pantomimes that suggest he's being less than truthful
Its at the very beginning of the video

https://www.packers.com/video/lafleur-collective-unit-will-help-wide-receivers-get-open

Clearly not a Sicilian World Champion Liar just yet

One of the greatest five minute conversations on the silver screen.  Very underrated movie.

The biggest question going into this game is our defense legitimate? The Bears have one of the worst starting QB's in the league. He's no better than bottom five in the league. Cousins isn't elite but he's top 16 I would say. Can we do it against him and can we shut down a great runner in Cook. 

If the answer to those two questions turns out to be a yes, we roll not only this week but this year. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The biggest question going into this game is our defense legitimate? The Bears have one of the worst starting QB's in the league. He's no better than bottom five in the league. Cousins isn't elite but he's top 16 I would say. Can we do it against him and can we shut down a great runner in Cook. If the answer to those two questions turns out to be a yes, we roll not only this week but this year. 

MN's certainly no CHI on offense....and that comparison can start and stop with the QB. Cousins (for all his perceived faults) can get it done. Might throw the inopportune INT (or two....) - but he's far better than Trubisky IMO and I expect them to move the ball and score. I also expect our D will give them a run for the money. (Will Fitzpatrick be starting? :) )

The wild card for me is our offense.

For the first time (that I can recall at least......) ARs going to wear a wrist band. We'll see if it helps with overall tempo and execution. 

From 538 sports

"The Minnesota Vikings said this offseason that they were going to get Kirk Cousins, their $84 million quarterback, “to that next level to do the things he does best.” Based on the game plans the team has run since overhauling its offense December — especially in Sunday’s 28-12 victory over the Falcons
— the thing he does best is apparently handing the ball off to a running back."

GettyImages-1166828882-1-e1568133250262.

Cousins threw only 10 passes all game, completing eight, good for 98 yards and a touchdown. That’s the fewest passes a Vikings quarterback has attempted in a regular-season win since 1977, in a game at Green Bay where the wind chill made it feel like it was minus 3 degrees.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-vikings-are-running-like-its-1972/

Edited by Shanedorf

Interesting thing to watch tomorrow. The Vikings nickle CB is out and their dime CB is doubtful. That leaves them with three rookie CBs left on the roster. Our 3rd WR should be able to exploit that when they play man to man. 

I think we'll see three safeties with Kearse as the third rather than a 3rd CB. Also an advantage to us. LaFleur has to exploit that this week. 

• Like 1

From The Athletic

"Paul Hornung and Dave Robinson will both be there on Sunday, back at Lambeau Field, celebrating their friend and former teammate. They had no choice. In their hearts, they knew they owed it to Bart Starr because he would have done the same for them.

What a great man. He was our great friend and a great teammate. I don’t think Bart Starr made five mistakes in his whole life,” Hornung said of Starr, who died at age 85 on May 26. “He was just a cut above the rest. He really was.

“He was class personified – the type of guy who, if you were his friend, you were very proud of that. It was a great friendship and a great pleasure for me to have had the opportunity to play with him as our quarterback.”

GettyImages-83214695-e1568476850873-1024

“When Bart Starr spoke, everybody listened. Everybody got quiet and absorbed it – and they knew he was sincere, and it was coming from the heart,” recalled Dave Robinson. “And when Vince spoke, everybody listened too – but it might have been more out of fear. Vince got your attention, but so did Bart – in a different way. He was just a great teammate.”

Added Hornung: “He had a way with Coach Lombardi that was perfect. He was the perfect match as a quarterback for Lombardi. Because Lombardi needed somebody who would not make mistakes – and Bart made very few. He was smart and he knew how to play quarterback in the National Football League. He deserved every accolade he received.”

“If it wasn’t Bart Starr, Lombardi would have called every play. But Coach was very smart as far as that was concerned. He knew Bart could handle the job,” Hornung said. “I played alongside Bart for 10 years. I don’t think Lombardi called more than five plays for him.

“He was the perfect guy for Lombardi.