Skipper

3rivers

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I get it but for MOST of us it's about there being better options to cut. Players with a low ceiling/low floor and offer nothing except ST play. It's not about who Skipper is now but more about what he could be and the cost of finding out were scrubs. But the scrubs were kept instead.  

Again as much as I hate Dunlap he had a good point: Ola is coming back soon.  Ola is better.  At best Skipper would have had 2 more weeks.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Again as much as I hate Dunlap he had a good point: Ola is coming back soon.  Ola is better.  At best Skipper would have had 2 more weeks.

Though it's not realistic, the issue people have is they'd rather see Chick or Red or "insert scrub here" cut.  I'll sacrifice mediocrity for potential. Heck, I'd be fine not even bringing Holton back. But I do understand the numbers game and that they felt there wasn't room for him. I just disagree.

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Though it's not realistic, the issue people have is they'd rather see Chick or Red or "insert scrub here" cut.  I'll sacrifice mediocrity for potential. Heck, I'd be fine not even bringing Holton back. But I do understand the numbers game and that they felt there wasn't room for him. I just disagree.

Eh.  It's like gets said a lot though.  We don't see what happens within the week.  Maybe they like Chick and Red for ST's that much and Ola and Gilbert for development are higher and they played the numbers game.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is genuinely pretty confusing. Why not just leave Skipper on the roster and drop a PS player to make room for Hodges?

My personal no insider info thought:

There was something they saw that they didn't like when the week started.  EDIT - in practice that we didn't see.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My personal no insider info thought:

There was something they saw that they didn't like when the week started.  EDIT - in practice that we didn't see.

I actually agree with this honestly they gave him the spot he earned in at the last minute decided seemingly that this is not going to work out.

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That makes the most sense, I'd say. I'm not super broken up about Skipper as I doubt he'll amount to much. Just seems puzzling.

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about it from a fan perspective is that I feel very strongly that he earned his spot and I don't feel like he ever got an opportunity. As much as I have disliked the things that Kevin Colbert has done in the past though I feel like there has got to be a logical reason that this was done and we might never know what that is by I don't think this was as simple eyes dam we meet another wide receiver I think it was beyond that

21 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

So 1 week of practice is the deciding factor? 

Maybe he went up against Chucks or Banner all TC and did really well, faced Fieler and Big Al and got stonewalled and they saw it was who he was playing more than he was playing. Maybe he didn’t learn the game plan. Maybe he was late. Didn’t do anything outside of being a pass rusher. 

There so much we don’t know and yes 1 week can be the deciding factor. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Maybe he went up against Chucks or Banner all TC and did really well, faced Fieler and Big Al and got stonewalled and they saw it was who he was playing more than he was playing. Maybe he didn’t learn the game plan. Maybe he was late. Didn’t do anything outside of being a pass rusher. 

There so much we don’t know and yes 1 week can be the deciding factor. 

I'm betting Chick gets stonewalled too and that's been for years. I would have given it more time personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is genuinely pretty confusing. Why not just leave Skipper on the roster and drop a PS player to make room for Hodges?

They needed a gunner on punt coverage and that is Holten.  They had a lot of OLB and with Ola coming back quickly that was the area to get trimmed.

• Like 1