The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Week 1 MNF v. Denver Broncos

Trojan

The Good:
- Winning the game
- Tyrell Williams looks like a WR1
- Derek Carr's efficiency and apparent comfort in the system year 2
- The Offensive Line with two back ups in the game, gave up no sacks against both Von Miller and Bradley Chubb and Kolton Millers athleticism on that Tyrell Williams screen
- Josh Jacobs kept the chains moving drive after drive, then had an explosive reception with great balance and looked driven in the red zone.
- Darren Waller keeps the TE position rolling at a potentially pro-bowl level
- The defense with 3 sacks against a line that paid big money (JuWuan James) and high draft picks (Dalton Risner) on OL upgrades
- Coverage! The Clelin Ferrell sack looked like perfect coverage and until the very last few drives Emmanuel Sanders was shut down

The Bad:
- A couple false starts.

The Ugly:
- Gareon Conley''s injury and wish for the best possible news and if necessary speedy and full recovery.

• Like 1

Waller was awesome! Backed up his great training camp with an eye-opening game.

Tyrell Showed he can be a number one WR. Was able to stretch the field and showed great hands.

Hands down the best game Kolton Miller has ever played in his LIFE!! Dude was amazing! Trent Brown was amazing as well. Didn't notice Von or Chubb. 

Just feed Josh Jacobs. 

• Like 1

Carr, Jacobs, Tyrell might get all the credit but the real MVP here was the O Line. Was that 2016 shades right there? We’ll find out next week. Kolton and Trent looked terrific and our G depth looked amazing. Don’t have to mention Hudson, he’s a superstar. 

I hope Doss can prove big things in practice. We don’t really have a true #2 atm. Renfrow is a good slot guy and Nelson/Grant are good gadget guys. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr, Jacobs, Tyrell might get all the credit but the real MVP here was the O Line. Was that 2016 shades right there? We’ll find out next week. Kolton and Trent looked terrific and our G depth looked amazing. Don’t have to mention Hudson, he’s a superstar. 

I hope Doss can prove big things in practice. We don’t really have a true #2 atm. Renfrow is a good slot guy and Nelson/Grant are good gadget guys. 

Dude the OL was unreal. Stonewalling Chubb and Von? I love that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Can you imagine what that unit is going to look like when Incognito/Jackson return?  

Tbh I'm wondering if Good can be a starter for us. He's been solid since he joined the team and won't be too expensive. Obviously, start the 2 you mentioned, but just a thought. 

Imagine Jacobs running behind that. That's one concern I have btw, he got 23 carries. That can't last.

2 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Tbh I'm wondering if Good can be a starter for us. He's been solid since he joined the team and won't be too expensive. Obviously, start the 2 you mentioned, but just a thought. 

Imagine Jacobs running behind that. That's one concern I have btw, he got 23 carries. That can't last.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not even sure those two are much of an upgrade. Gabe has always been a below average run blocker and above average pass protector. Questions marks about Incognito.

Devey and Good both looked like complete studs tonight.

The good:

What everyone else has said about everyone. 

The bad:

The only thing that got on my nerves was that we let up off the gas. Should have tried to throw for first downs instead of running 3 straight plays the second to last drive. That’s it though. Everything else was perfect. 

Hats off to the coaching team, they had us well prepared and after all the hooha in the week it wasn't an easy task. I've been very critical of Gruden and Cable in particular and it's time to give them some due credit, both should be applauded and the OL playing at a very high level bodes very well for the offence as a whole.

Conley is a Pro Bowler in waiting, really sticky man cover guy and hope he's OK after a nasty looking injury. 

• Like 2

-If the Oline plays like that all season, man, Carr has a chance to return back to form. Absolutely unreal the way they played. I didn't notice not one pressure. Gotta give credit to the much maligned Tom Cable for having those two backup guards ready to go.

- Carr was sharp all game long. I think he played this game a little pissed off/something to prove, and i like that. Took some shots downfield, didnt just check down. I think he even scrambled for a few yards once. His last four games against Denver defense have all been extremely efficient. I remember when he used to just crap the bed everytime we played them.

- Josh Jacobs, Tyrel Williams and Waller. All came to play and balled out. I am really excited for Jacobs he is the real deal. He churned out those late tough yards and wanted more. 

-Gruden called a good game and I think he had the team prepared well after all the BS all week. That screen call to Rel to end it was a thing of beauty. 

- Defense was solid. I saw Vontaze and Joyner fly around making plays. Wont be the last personal foul penalty Abram draws this year, but man he's going to be good. We got bailed out by the fact we we're playing FlacLol, and the dropped TD and missed FG. But I thought the defense was really solid all around. 

• Like 1