The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Week 1 MNF v. Denver Broncos

Trojan

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Packers I think are just starting out slow.  It does not matter what team we play in London.  We do not travel well.  

It's ok, I recruited some locals up here in Scotland to go and be loud. 

A few vids of Burfict, Romanowski, and Hendricks were enough to convince them that it's scrum worthy. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Abram not getting all the snap is not alarming week1. If it continues to happen in 5 weeks then yes, that's alarming. Obvious the Raiders don't want to give him to much and one time. He needs to be smarter, but I rather have a guy who you have to tell them take it down a notch then someone you doesn't play with that type of mentality. 

I would also like to eat crow on Josh Mauro. I now see what the Raiders saw. He was really good made some good plays on the defensive line. 

Abram was questionable in coverage at Mississippi State though, we knew what he was when we drafted him. He's more of a small LB than a true safety at this point, he'll need to be much better in coverage to be an every-down player. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's ok, I recruited some locals up here in Scotland to go and be loud. 

A few vids of Burfict, Romanowski, and Hendricks were enough to convince them that it's scrum worthy. 

Make some extra noise for those of us from the Tamar valley who didn't manage to get tickets.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's pretty concerning that they're already benching him on passing downs in favor of Curtis Riley. Mahomeboy is going to abuse Abram and Mullen next week. 

He was basically playing with one hand/wrist... shouldn’t have played imo cause it limited his tackling /coverage ability but you not gonna keep him off the field unless he’s dead

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Abram was questionable in coverage at Mississippi State though, we knew what he was when we drafted him. He's more of a small LB than a true safety at this point, he'll need to be much better in coverage to be an every-down player. 

Lol you’re wild man

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lol you’re wild man

From NFL.com

Blunt force-striker with the measurables and play demeanor teams look for from a down safety with nickel linebacker qualities. Abrams did an admirable job in coverage in Mississippi State's scheme but might not have the anticipation and ball skills to hold up in extended coverage duties. Abrams shines as a physical run defender with pursuit speed and energy to play sideline to sideline. He grades out as one of the better options for teams looking to deploy an effective "big nickel" defender near the box.

From the draft network

Johnathan Abram fits the mold of a traditional strong safety, he's a booming hitter with an impressive resume as a run defender in the box. In today's NFL, Abram will struggle to see the field on an every down basis. There are reps of Abram playing off man coverage, but he lacks the spring and burst to play reliable one on one coverage in passing situations. Abram could transition successfully to a nickel LB and a strong piece of a rotation based on personnel groupings.

Bleacher Report

Allows a high number of receptions when in man or zone coverage; instincts and awareness are low when tracking the ball.

This game was certainly encouraging, although the Broncos are not a good team and it seemed like the Raiders had a lot of frustration to take out. If they go 3-2 or 2-3 over the next few games I’ll be a believer. There was a lot of emotion going into this game and the Broncos has to change their strategy once they cut Brown. The Oline and Dline will be the keys moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The whole fan base thinks Abram is an elite player because he hits hard and had a funny moment on Hard Knocks. Gunther trusts Curtis Riley in coverage more than he trusts Abram. 

Social media Raider nation love him he’s saying the right things he’s all in but on field I’m skeptical overall

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How does a hurt wrist affect his covering ability? 

Have you ever tried to cover someone with boxing gloves (a drill I use for my dbs)?

also try wrapping up for a tackle with a bad hand/wrist....

seems like you’re still salty about ab and the fact that we’re succeeding without him i know you were one of his biggest fans 

• Like 1