The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

5 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

1) Win the East. 

2) Attract and sign LeBron. 

3) Simmons, Fultz, Covington, James, Embiid.

4) Profit?

(No way this happens but that would be fun)

The team could be good enough by season's end to poach a top guy in free agency. Right now I'm just happy to see them putting it together.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Fultz has looked terrible.

1.  I'm not buying the injury excuse.  Philly has gone out of their way to sit young guys if they get a bug bite.  All of a sudden he has a significant injury and the Sixers are playing him through it?  They did an MRI and said in a press conference nothing was wrong.

2.  The changing of shooting motion was obviously an idiotic idea.  Without teams consent or trainers he just decided to change it?  Obviously messed with his head but it's also a sign of not great decision making.

3.  Fultz' agent comes out and says he took a shot on the shoulder (after getting ripped in national media for a week, has to protect his guy), and now all of a sudden Fultz' injury is serious and has to sit out.

Is there some soreness?  Probably, but nothing significant.  IMO they're just buying time to 1.  Cool the heat, 2.  Time to fix his form, and 3.  Prevent his confidence being completely crushed.

I was high on Fultz before the draft but everything I've seen has been pretty bad.  His defense was lazy and terrible.  He didn't have the lateral footspeed to keep up, and he would just doze off and get crushed on rotations.  On offense [again even ignoring the shooting woes], he looked like a serviceable ball handler, but getting to the rim didn't look any more impressive than guys like Jrue Holiday did coming into the league.  We'll see how he is as a passer but he never projected to be a great passer or looked like one in college/summer league [before shoulder "injury].   Rebounding is average/below average.   If he can't shoot or score he's worthless.

Bustbustbustbustbust

Don’t quite have the time to respond to everything here but to your first point, the Sixers we’re actively tanking when they were quick to bench players.

It’s pretty ridiculous to label Fultz a bust this early

36 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Don’t quite have the time to respond to everything here but to your first point, the Sixers we’re actively tanking when they were quick to bench players.

It’s pretty ridiculous to label Fultz a bust this early

Don't feed the trolls, man.

EDIT: Especially when an entire paragraph is the inverse of the truth.

Edited by utley4568
  • Like 1

Lol, that's a pretty strong opinion of a guy who has only played a handful of games in the NBA, while injured. Is he a bust? I don't know, but you sure as hell can't jump to that conclusion based on the little we've all seen. I mean, if you want to feel some sort of early validation for Boston trading away the pick, go ahead. However, it's not only premature, but ridiculous to write off  a guy that was universally hyped as the #1 overall pick before we're even 10 games into the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I was high on Fultz before the draft but everything I've seen has been pretty bad.  His defense was lazy and terrible.  He didn't have the lateral footspeed to keep up, and he would just doze off and get crushed on rotations.  On offense [again even ignoring the shooting woes], he looked like a serviceable ball handler, but getting to the rim didn't look any more impressive than guys like Jrue Holiday did coming into the league.  We'll see how he is as a passer but he never projected to be a great passer or looked like one in college/summer league [before shoulder "injury].   Rebounding is average/below average.   If he can't shoot or score he's worthless.

Sigh. If you insist.

His defense was not lazy or terrible. He just looked average, partially because he wasn't up to speed on his rotations, which is expected for a rookie. His footspeed is fine, again it was just his knowledge of his rotations. Unlike most average defenders, he was making the effort, but he's inexperienced. He was more than serviceable as a ball handler, and he was able to get to the rim with ease. Although, his finishing was off. I attribute that to his confidence, as he just wasn't going up with aggression to begin the season. He looked like a good passer and college and projected to be one in the NBA. He has good vision and is able to get the ball where it needs to. He's not Lonzo, but he's a good passer. His rebounding is very good for a guard. And you ignored the biggest part of his game that "benefitted" from his inability to shoot. He played tremendously well off the ball. He was instinctual, making cuts to free himself up when his defender wasn't paying attention or was forced to rotate. He was active off the ball, which is going to be huge since he'll be sharing the floor with Embiid and Simmons.

But tell me more about how I'm unable to provide a counterargument.

5 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Joel Embiid is 3rd in the league in RPM for Centers

Bob Covington is 1st in the league in RPM for SF

Ben Simmons is 10th in the league in RPM for PGs and 1st for Defensive RPM

Embiid still has so much room for growth, it is unreal If he can stay healthy (knock on wood), he can be incredible. 

17 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Joel Embiid is 3rd in the league in RPM for Centers

Bob Covington is 1st in the league in RPM for SF

Ben Simmons is 10th in the league in RPM for PGs and 1st for Defensive RPM

All three of them have bright futures. Hopefully Fultz can do just as good.

Just now, tonyto36 said:

His defense was lazy and terrible.  It wasn't just being up to speed.  He would have his man in the corner and get caught watching the ball and his guy would go back door for a cut and layup.  He's James Harden when Harden isn't engaged, on defense.  It was (in my opinion) absolutely not inexperience, but just pure effort coupled with the inability to handle NBA size and speed.  Tatum came into the league touted as a mediocre defender but his effort on possessions is apparent and in huge contrast to Fultz.  

I'll give you the passing.   I expect him to improve.   His rebounding is very good?  He's played four games and had rebound totals of 2, 1, 3, and 3.  That's average at best.  You didn't mention it, but I also expect his shooting to get sorted out and he'll be a decent, maybe even very good shooter by year 3.  But again I firmly believe he's been awful on defense and will likely continue to be for a long time, if not his whole career.   

You sort of made a counterargument, but mostly just presented a bunch of arbitrary opinions without any reasoning or thought behind them, while completely ignoring all my points about his decision making to change his shot without team approval and coaching, his "injury" and the questionable legitimacy of it.

That's just not true. Yes, he needs to learn to not ball-watch, but that's fixable. Fultz will have no issue with NBA size and speed.

And yeah, in 19 minutes per game. Statlines in a ridiculously small sample are useless. He's a very good rebounder for a guard.

Weren't you just posting arbitrary opinions in the first place? Everything I said came from a place of scouting him for years. I'm not willing to speculate on the shot issue until we see what happens when he gets back.