The Gardner Minshew Thread: All Hail the Stache

.Buzz

4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

For those who think we should take Lawrence. 

Biggest weaknesses per the same guy: physical limitations and ball security.  Seemed to fix the ball security issue after the bench.  

If mishew was a 1st u wouldn't be clamoring to take lawrence at 1. 

The beauty of it all...is that we now have an entire season to evaluate what Minshew can do.  For better or worse.  Before we even come to the Lawrence question.

Though...bringing back our cruddy OLine basically intact, is going to ensure that there's always a halfway built-in excuse for Minshew if he falls flat.  Which is troublesome.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The beauty of it all...is that we now have an entire season to evaluate what Minshew can do.  For better or worse.  Before we even come to the Lawrence question.

Though...bringing back our cruddy OLine basically intact, is going to ensure that there's always a halfway built-in excuse for Minshew if he falls flat.  Which is troublesome.

We have two first round picks. If he falls flat they're not rolling with him next year. Fairly certain of that.

Luckily I don't expect that to be the case.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What if he falls...medium flat?

So we're likely a team with 5 wins or less most likely as the defense is way too young to carry a not so great QB?

Yeah, he won't be the guy next year.

35 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

if his play is the same as last year he wont be replaced.  i mean honestly if Minshew wasnt drafted in the 6th round this wouldnt even be a conversation. 

So if Minshew shows no growth we are keeping him with draft capital to go after and get a guy by stay status quo?

Nah.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

if his play is the same as last year he wont be replaced.  i mean honestly if Minshew wasnt drafted in the 6th round this wouldnt even be a conversation. 

whats the lowest round you think he'd be drafted and we dont? I mean if we finish 4-12 again if Marrone even here? Are all the decision makers still here? New coach will take one of the best QB prospects in a decade without thinking twice

I love Minshew, but what he did last year isn't good enough to think he's the guy if he doesn't take considerable steps forward in other areas this year.

Do I feel good about his chances of taking that step? Yes. But if he shows minimal growth they aren't trotting him back out there with no young QB in the wings.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

whats the lowest round you think he'd be drafted and we dont? I mean if we finish 4-12 again if Marrone even here? Are all the decision makers still here? New coach will take one of the best QB prospects in a decade without thinking twice

hmmm  khan doesnt have the balls to move on from either guy.  we saw this last year.    

IF there was nfl Redraft today Minshew goes round 1 no question. 

if Minshew puts up similiar numbers as last year while Cleaning up his 1 Knock(cutting his fumbles down) i wouldnt be suprised to pass on a QB even if the guy is a supposed generational guy but then again people seemed to think Winston and Mariota were generational guys as well and look at how that panned out. 

furthermore i think if by the odd chance we do move on from Marrone/Caldwell i think the team will go more the route of Rhule and how that rebuild is going.  they signed a bridge qb who is likely very much a bottom 3rd starter in the NFL to a decent contract and decided to not start their rebuild by taking a developmental guy(love whom we all can all agree was a developemental qb with a good upside). 

then we also have the what if game of if Lawrence doesnt declare cuz he wants to win a championship/get his degree?  just remember Andrew Luck(the last true generational QB Prospect stayed in school after being draft eligible for a season.)

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So if Minshew shows no growth we are keeping him with draft capital to go after and get a guy by stay status quo?

Nah.

or maybe a new regime Comes recognizes the hotmess supporting cast they gave Minshew and decide to use the draft capital to surround him with better talent. 

So by that logic as long as Khan is the owner Marrone never gets fired

When has a new regime ever looked at a QB prospect at pick 1 on Lawrences level and said nah we’re good. Our team is terrible so we’ll pass on the elite talent at the most important position in sports 

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

11 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

or maybe a new regime Comes recognizes the hotmess supporting cast they gave Minshew and decide to use the draft capital to surround him with better talent. 

If you have to continuously throw talent around your QB to get good play he's not the guy.

I commend Minshew for what he did last year. Was impressive and why I think he has a solid shot. But there's no excuses this year... especially now with Gruden being in the fold.

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So by that logic as long as Khan is the owner Marrone never gets fired

When has a new regime ever looked at a QB prospect at pick 1 on Lawrences level and said nah we’re good. Our team is terrible so we’ll pass on the elite talent at the most important position in sports 

We're not going to be picking first overall imo.

Even if Lawrence is out of range, Fields/Lance are both intriguing guys. Too far out to know how the QB spot will shake out draft wise but it's not Lawrence or status quo imo unless there's literally no one worth taking a shot on.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We're not going to be picking first overall imo.

Even if Lawrence is out of range, Fields/Lance are both intriguing guys. Too far out to know how the QB spot will shake out draft wise but it's not Lawrence or status quo imo unless there's literally no one worth taking a shot on.

Agreed. In classic Jaguars fashion they'll finish just above the basement level but not rise up high enough to make it into the house. They'll be stuck on the basement stairs as usual. Fields would be a nice consolation prize if for some reason they don't like what they see out of Minshew in year two. 

Personally I think they'll finish 6-10 / 7 - 9 again this year. I like Jay Gruden here. I think he'll get a lot more out of this offense than what Flip did last year. I think Minshew will take a solid step forward. Most of this is based upon whether or not this offensive line can hold itself together physically and cut back on holding our opponents in the trenches. 

Between Linder, Robinson and Taylor last year they finished inside the top ten in penalties counted against us. Something we've grown not so fond of with Dough Marrone in charge. There's a few players I like though in next year's draft. Unless the Rams fail on an epic level in 2020 I don't see us holding that number one overall pick. 

But landing a prospect like Cosmi at LT, Rousseau at DE or Lance at QB is ideal. 

Edited by Drachma
  • Like 1