The Gardner Minshew Thread: All Hail the Stache

.Buzz

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Still just a 2nd year QB, but I don't have much confidence when we put the game in Gardner's hands and he has to do it all.

That's usually an indication that the guy isn't "the guy"...

Yeah, there’s exceptions to be made for guys like Alex Smith or David Garrard where their efficiency numbers are just insanely good, and you can trust them to be facilitators within a structured offense. Those can work to at least bring stability to a franchise, even if they may not be title winner types. But if a guy isn’t highly efficient, and it doesn’t feel like he can win games when he’s asked to carry an offense, he’s probably not the guy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, there’s exceptions to be made for guys like Alex Smith or David Garrard where their efficiency numbers are just insanely good, and you can trust them to be facilitators within a structured offense. Those can work to at least bring stability to a franchise, even if they may not be title winner types. But if a guy isn’t highly efficient, and it doesn’t feel like he can win games when he’s asked to carry an offense, he’s probably not the guy. 

I've tried to hitch my wagon to Minshew because even with his ups and downs this year, he's easily the best QB we've had since Garrard and we're desperate for even adequate QB play.

But with the way this season is shaping up, idk how you can't be on the QB train for one of the top guys (even taking Lawrence out of the equation). If we're in the top 8-10 (and it looks like top 5 is likely, we may win a game or two coming up but the second half schedule is rough to say the least), were going to be in range and this is the year we have all the capital to move up a spot or two if need be and not mortgage the future. If we're lucky enough to land a guy while sitting still, you have a ton of capital to build around him AND have a solid setup for a young QB (surely better than most come into) as is.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I've tried to hitch my wagon to Minshew because even with his ups and downs this year, he's easily the best QB we've had since Garrard and we're desperate for adequate QB play even.

But with the way this season is shaping up, idk how you can't be on the QB train for one of the top guys (even taking Lawrence out of the equation). If we're in the top 8-10 (and it looks like top 5 is likely, we may win a game or two coming up but the second half schedule is rough to say the least), were going to be in range and this is the year we have all the capital to move up a spot or two if need be and still be in a good spot.

I certainly get all the reasons that someone would want to believe that he’s the guy; he’s highly charismatic with a larger than life persona that would actually be great for a small market team to have to get some national exposure, he has a great underdog story, he kinda embodies the *Florida man* gimmick that Jacksonville loves, and he’s shown glimpses of brilliance as a QB. And really, outside of random Chad Henne games, late in games in 2015, and the second half of 2017, we haven’t had anything resembling good QB play for almost a decade now. So I get it. 

But from what I’ve seen, and admittedly I have tried to see as little of this team as possible, he’s been a mediocre at best QB most of the time, who has had some spectacular plays that primarily have shown their faces when plays break down. And having the ability to extend plays and make things happen when things break down is huge, and it’d a big part of what makes guys like Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers future Hall of Famers, but those guys don’t play as poorly as Minshew seems to when inside of the structure, or when asked to make play after play after play in succession because the offense needs them to give a spark.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, Chops013 said:

Hope he sticks around as the backup. I’m going to miss him when he goes.

I'm pretty torn on this.

On the one hand, he's no shortage of laughs as a fan.  It'd be sad to lose that for a grey and faceless generic "backup".

But at the same time, as much as Minshew Mania and all that was hilarious while it lasted...i feel like it might be the better part of wisdom to just deal him somewhere and completely and fully turn the page on that era.  I mean, i don't really see it being any sort of problem or significant distraction...but at the same time, why even risk it?  What's the upside to it?

A clean break from that whole circus sounds good to me.  Let some other fanbase enjoy the ride for a while.  Get a draft pick for him, and turn that into another piece to try to support the future at QB.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'm pretty torn on this.

On the one hand, he's no shortage of laughs as a fan.  It'd be sad to lose that for a grey and faceless generic "backup".

But at the same time, as much as Minshew Mania and all that was hilarious while it lasted...i feel like it might be the better part of wisdom to just deal him somewhere and completely and fully turn the page on that era.  I mean, i don't really see it being any sort of problem or significant distraction...but at the same time, why even risk it?  What's the upside to it?

A clean break from that whole circus sounds good to me.  Let some other fanbase enjoy the ride for a while.  Get a draft pick for him, and turn that into another piece to try to support the future at QB.

I’d probably be against bringing back Gardner if we didn’t have a clear replacement at QB. Because Gardner is so beloved, the Gardner chants usually come out whenever our meh starting QB starts stinking. That definitely won’t be the case with Trevor at QB.

I would feel very comfortable with Gardner coming in or spot starting if God-forbid Trevor gets injured. I always envisioned Minshew being our version of the Philly Nick Foles. Think I’d rather keep him for the remainder of his rookie contract rather than trade him for a 5th pick. 

Im also a Minshew Stan so take it for what it’s worth lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The thing that makes me want to keep him is he's super cheap compared to vet backup QB. I know we have loads of money but wasting it on a backup QB isnt ideal

If finances are the only concern, Luton is under contract. He was an absolute disaster statistically this season, but I'm not really sure the roster will be in any kind of position that if Lawrence goes down that we'd care to be putting a competent QB on the field to fight for a playoff spot or whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

If finances are the only concern, Luton is under contract. He was an absolute disaster statistically this season, but I'm not really sure the roster will be in any kind of position that if Lawrence goes down that we'd care to be putting a competent QB on the field to fight for a playoff spot or whatever. 

Yea we probably want the premium spot in the draft if we lose TLaw, no reason to win a few meaningless games with Luton other than build the youngsters. which is suppose isnt meaningless at all

It also really depends on what the market is for him.

Like if you can get a 4th for him, I’m fairly confident that a 4th round Guard or whatever taken with his pick has a higher chance of playing in games that matter for us over the course of their 4 year contract than Minshew does over the remaining two years he has. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pwny said:

It also really depends on what the market is for him.

Like if you can get a 4th for him, I’m fairly confident that a 4th round Guard or whatever taken with his pick has a higher chance of playing in games that matter for us over the course of their 4 year contract than Minshew does over the remaining two years he has. 

Biggest thing working against Minshew's value, is that we kinda ran that horse out to see if it could make it as a starter, and he couldn't.  So teams pretty much have a bead on exactly what Minshew can offer (solid backup, fun character, acceptable spot starter)...and nothing more.  There's no real "mystery box" element left there of "upside".

But i still think that for a team with a potentially unreliable starter (due to injury, inconsistency, etc.) and running a tight cap situation...a guy like Minshew should hold some decent, if unspectacular value.  Maybe even for a team drafting a project QB and looking for a guy to trot out and keep the fans busy for a handful of weeks until the rookie is ready to start.

And like you said...even if it's just a sorta mid-round pick, i feel like there's a better likelihood of that contributing something to meaningful games for this franchise in the next few years, than Minshew.  Odds aren't great that the pick turns into anything particularly special, or even sticks as an NFL roster player period.  But more picks is better.  Even if that just ends up being ammunition to pile onto another pick to move up ahead of somebody and grab "our guy" somewhere else in the draft.  It's all capital.