GDT "Let's Move On" Edition: Bears & Broncos 9/15/19

beardown3231

58 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

But again, why is this happening with Mitch? He was solid last year. All of a sudden he looks this bad? What changed?

Honestly, the only logical answer I can come up with is that Nagy was able to scheme around his issues last season and now people have caught on and are exposing them.

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Honestly, the only logical answer I can come up with is that Nagy was able to scheme around his issues last season and now people have caught on and are exposing them.

In looking at this from a micro perspective, I think Nagy was protecting Mitch from Vic Fangio and Denver's environment (fans, fatigue etc). And guess what? We won. Hell of a job by Nagy. 

I think they're going to start opening it up more against weaker defenses. It's not ideal but we have to remember the name of the game right now is stacking W's. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

In looking at this from a micro perspective, I think Nagy was protecting Mitch from Vic Fangio and Denver's environment (fans, fatigue etc). And guess what? We won. Hell of a job by Nagy. 

I think they're going to start opening it up more against weaker defenses. It's not ideal but we have to remember the name of the game right now is stacking W's. 

Of course. It would be nice not to look like a pile of dog**** in one of the 3 phases in the process, however

19 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well done on the win, guys. Gut wrencher for us but in truth, only one of those teams has playoff aspirations and it isn't us.

Don't be so sure of that. They played very well yesterday, and have looked pretty solid, overall, thus far. 

16 hours ago, soulman said:

But you're not playing football in full uniform.  

He's also used to it. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We hope.

It has been 27 NFL games and 17 Nagy games. Are we sure that it is getting fixed?

Lots of QBs have busted out because of that exact thing not improving.

If you look back at his rookie year he had the same issues. Inaccurate deep ball, unable to read coverage. It all makes sense in hindsight at some level. To play devil's advocate he played exceptional for several games last year. I think the Detroit game was his best. Perhaps the answer is he is and maybe always will be terribly inconsistent like a Jamis Winston or Cam Newton.   

3 hours ago, Nads786 said:

If you look back at his rookie year he had the same issues. Inaccurate deep ball, unable to read coverage. It all makes sense in hindsight at some level. To play devil's advocate he played exceptional for several games last year. I think the Detroit game was his best. Perhaps the answer is he is and maybe always will be terribly inconsistent like a Jamis Winston or Cam Newton.   

He had the same issues coming out of UNC. He was known as an accurate passer but a lot of that was the college offense limiting the shots he took downfield and playing to his strengths. I think Nagy is trying to incorporate similar concepts into the Bears' offense to bring MT along.

6 hours ago, G08 said:

This is like your 12 year old kid still using training wheels with you running beside them.

17 hours ago, Tyty said:

Well I have been in bed for two weeks with pneumonia in both lungs but I didn’t know it was that obvious 

Well if you're not just joshing with me then I wish you God speed and get well soon.

I had a bout with pneumonia when I was a child that almost killed me.  Docs told my folks I had less than a 20% chance of making it through my first night in intensive care.

I was referring more to your having little to say. ;)

Edited by soulman

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm willing to give him the rest of the year rather than 3 more games because Daniel for an extended period of time would probably be horrible, although he did score 16 in Detroit and 31 in NY last season.

It isn't that I believe Daniel will do any better it's to shock Mitch into realizing he has to play well every week to keep his job.

Look at MLB.  Top players in slumps get benched regularly and the same happens in the NBA and NHL.  Sometimes you have to shake things up a bit even in the NFL.  He has to play better and if benching him helps accomplish that then bench him.

If we end up 1-4 going into the bye week it won't make much difference whose playing QB then.  We'd be looking at an 8-8 season give or take anyway and it's doubtful Daniel would play more than just a few games before Mitch would return.

11 hours ago, G08 said:

This is what I'm (optimistically) thinking too. Week 1, Mitch was bad. This week, I don't even think he was given the chance to be good or bad, he was given nothing. I can't post a Twitter link as I'm work now, but check out Dan DeYoung on Twitter who put up Mitch's throw map thing from the game, he attempts like three passes longer than ten yards, and nothing over the middle. I think this was the game plan this week. The final play to A-Rob, and that absolute DIME early on to Cohen still give me hope for Mitch. The miss to Gabriel is what worries me.

I'm not giving up on this offense just yet, but Nagy has got to open it up. Just been watching his presser from yesterday and he's saying how the team needs more 10+ yard plays, yeah tell me about it Matthew, but they're pretty hard to come by on 4 yard out routes. To be fair to Fangio as well, he excels at doing that to offenses, his defense is designed to not give up big plays.

Washington's pass defense has been poor weeks 1 and 2, and with the way Nagy was talking yesterday, I'm expecting us to attack them. If we look this awful next Monday, then colour me worried. Just glad this is happening in September...

• Like 1