GDT "Let's Move On" Edition: Bears & Broncos 9/15/19

beardown3231

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People keep talking about Chubb's unfair penalty and how that Broncos were robbed.

I posit that Broncos never get the lead in that game without the same penalty on Goldman. 

Also Fuller's knee never touched the ground on the pick, and the refs blew it dead. That was a TD.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The officiating was beyond horrendous on both sides.

In a lot of games.  Without bad officiating I think MN completes second half comeback agaisnt GB.  A lot of bad calls and no calls. 

A number of other examples too I don't have time to write.  

I have never seen it this bad.  Part of problem is they are being told conflicting things from league office.  

Ruining the quality of the game.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

Also Fuller's knee never touched the ground on the pick, and the refs blew it dead. That was a TD.

I agree.  Sutton touched him but he wasn't down.  The play should have continued then been reviewed.

Far too many quick whistles on plays that don't require one.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

People keep talking about Chubb's unfair penalty and how that Broncos were robbed.

I posit that Broncos never get the lead in that game without the same penalty on Goldman. 

To me those are judgment calls that go both ways throughout the game. Fuller was incorrectly ruled down on a clear pick 6.

The most questionable call was awarding the TO immediately after Robinson’s catch. Glad it worked in the Bears’ favor.

@Superman(DH23) @Golfman

It seems as if the spot on the conversion was correct. This is from Larry Mayer's mailbag on the Bears site: 

After doing some research, I can tell you that the officiating crew made the correct determination. A team can attempt a two-point conversion from the 2 or an extra point from the 15. If there's a penalty, the foul is enforced from only one of those spots. So after the Broncos were penalized five yards for delay of game, they could have attempted the two-point conversion from the 7 or the extra point from the 20. When they chose the 20 and there was a penalty on the Bears, the foul would be enforced from the 20 or the 2. Denver chose the 2 and the ball was moved half the distance to the goal line to the 1. Here's how it's explained in the NFL rulebook (11.20): "Team A always has the option to enforce a Team B foul from the previous spot or the other Try spot. The other Try spot does not change, regardless of any penalty enforced during previous try attempts."

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

@Superman(DH23) @Golfman

It seems as if the spot on the conversion was correct. This is from Larry Mayer's mailbag on the Bears site: 

After doing some research, I can tell you that the officiating crew made the correct determination. A team can attempt a two-point conversion from the 2 or an extra point from the 15. If there's a penalty, the foul is enforced from only one of those spots. So after the Broncos were penalized five yards for delay of game, they could have attempted the two-point conversion from the 7 or the extra point from the 20. When they chose the 20 and there was a penalty on the Bears, the foul would be enforced from the 20 or the 2. Denver chose the 2 and the ball was moved half the distance to the goal line to the 1. Here's how it's explained in the NFL rulebook (11.20): "Team A always has the option to enforce a Team B foul from the previous spot or the other Try spot. The other Try spot does not change, regardless of any penalty enforced during previous try attempts."

This seems really stupid to me but thanks for the clarification. 

10 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Yeah, at real game speed, looked like he didn't touch, but thats pretty definitive.  In addition to that eddie goldman bs rtp call, there was the terrible personal foul on Leonard floyd, which is insane.

He isnt touched in that photo....Should of been reviewed....

Thoughts and Observations

-The run game was better, but there were 2 players that really hurt the run game. They still are way too soft coming off the ball.

-Kyle Long may need glasses because he consistently misses LBs and gets stuck on his double teams. He was also struggling to move Wolfe off the ball at all.

-James Daniels was awful on the 2nd level. He consistently missed the LBs on the 2nd level and it killed the run game. He was a mess and over ran LBs consistently.

-Massie needs to get off the ball and take a much smaller Von Miller off the ball. He was so passive and didn't stretch the defense horizontally, which is important in the zone run game.

-David Montgomery is very good. He makes a lot of stuff happen when the blocking is not very good.

-Way less Mike Davis please.

-I have ragged on Shaheen and this was a solid game for him as a blocker and catching the ball.

-Charles Leno needs to stop with the penalties he is not good enough for his value to the team to overcome all these penalties. He consistently is killing a drive a game by himself. His work on the goal lines was brutal.

-The pass pro was better. They handled the stunts much better than they did against the Packers.

-The Bears are a bad screen team. There are too many screens that are dead before the ball even gets thrown. They do not trick the defense and they do not block them well at all.

-Bradley Sowell is terrible he was the reason that Montgomery got stuffed on the first goal to go run.

-Akiem Hicks was struggling most of the game with the altitude. He was still good, but man did he look tired.

-Eddie Goldman is awesome. His hustle at 330lbs is really impressive.

-Leonard Floyd can play. He was very hard for the Broncos to contain. He is making a straight line rush at the QB more often and forcing the OT to stop him instead of running around the edge and helping the OT out. The play where he jacks up the TE on the screen and flattens Lindey was a different Floyd than we have seen.

-The RRH bull rush is insane. I would start extension talks with him.

-Aaron Lynch is fat and doesn't practice but he consistently makes plays and contributes with limited snaps.

-Eddie Jackson looks a lot more physical than even last season. He is arriving angry and I wonder if it is that he has a little more freedom to come up close to the line with HHCD behind him.

-So far so good for HHCD.

-I think the biggest Fangio advantage was the he knows that Fuller likes to play off and does not like to turn his back to the QB. They attacked Fuller's side of the field over and over with routes underneath him. Outside of the pick not a great game for Fuller, who was dead by the end of the game.

-Too many Buster Skrine blitzes. He is a nice blitzer, but a QB with Flacco's experience is not going to get fooled 3 times.

-Roquan was good, but he was gassed as well. We did not see the same downhill monster that we saw week 1. 
  • Like 1

What’s interesting about your observations windy is the defense still played exceptionally well given the altitude and heat.

I can’t wait to see it in week three against the Redskins. They could legit be the top defense in the league yet again.

I’m so impressed by Floyd so far. He was on the verge of being a bust only two seasons ago.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

What’s interesting about your observations windy is the defense still played exceptionally well given the altitude and heat.

I can’t wait to see it in week three against the Redskins. They could legit be the top defense in the league yet again.

I’m so impressed by Floyd so far. He was on the verge of being a bust only two seasons ago.

Floyd is an example of exactly why you should not give up on a player after 2-3 seasons of up and down and inconsistent play.

Fuller is another guy people wrote off as a 1st round bust after a couple mediocre seasons and now he's considered one of the better corners in the league.

This is why I still have hope for Mitch as our QB.

• Like 2