GDT "Let's Move On" Edition: Bears & Broncos 9/15/19

beardown3231

19 hours ago, soulman said:

Au contraire mon frere.......ranked #14 out of 33.

https://purpleptsd.com/how-good-is-your-teams-punter-all-33-nfl-punters-ranked/

How Good Is Your Team’s Punter? All 33 NFL Punters, Ranked

By LBVikings -
February 18, 2018
Hekk.png
Use Discount Code TCTWINS for a Free ONE YEAR Premium Membership!

Punters simply cannot be evaluated by simple distance alone. We’ve known this for a while, but national media still cites net yards or touchbacks (as a positive?!) constantly. For the third year in a row, I’ve taken the punting data from 2017 and parsed it in a more useful way. Here’s last year’s, with 2015’s results embedded into it. For more on the methodology and why things are the way they are, check that out. But very briefly:

Short field punts (from your own 40 and closer) are measured as a percentage of the field they cover. So a punt from the 50 that’s fielded at the 10 is an 80% punt, as it covered 80% of the available field. Long field punts (everything behind your own 40) are simply measured as average distance, since those are the times you’re trying to boot it as far as possible. Touchbacks are a -20 yard penalty for obvious reasons, and blocked punts are removed.

Punters are ranked by a combination of these measures, weighted toward long-field punts since they’re more common.

Name Team Long Field Avg Short Field Avg
Shance Lechler Texans 52.22 76.59%
Marquette King Raiders 50.56 77.82%
Britton Colquitt Browns 50.40 77.55%
Thomas Morstead Saints 49.74 77.90%
Lac Edwards Jets 49.67 77.08%
Johnny Hekker Rams 50.88 74.93%
Andy Lee Cardinals 50.05 75.38%
Chris Jones Cowboys 48.36 77.74%
Riley Dixon Broncos 45.04 83.01%
Rigoberto Sanchez Colts 47.54 76.92%
Drew Kaser Chargers 52.66 69.27%
Kevin Huber Bengals 48.38 74.95%
Jeff Locke Lions 47.33 76.59%
Pat O’Donnell Bears 49.71 72.59%
Michael Palardy Panthers 49.10 73.43%
Sam Koch Ravens 47.91 74.53%
Tress Way Redskins 48.45 73.42%
Brett Kern Titans 50.98 69.65%
Bryan Anger Buccaneers 48.67 72.15%
Colton Schmidt Bills 46.65 75.07%
Donnie Jones Eagles 46.38 75.23%
Jon Ryan Seahawks 46.71 74.71%
Bradley Pinion 49ers 46.61 74.74%
Ryan Allen Patriots 47.30 73.07%
Jordan Berry Steelers 47.13 72.90%
Matt Haack Dolphins 46.78 72.92%
Dustin Colquitt Chiefs 50.65 67.08%
Matt Bosher Falcons 46.88 72.16%
Ryan Quigley Vikings 45.45 74.06%
Justin Vogel Packers 45.73 71.53%
Brad Nortman Jaguars 46.06 70.22%
Brad Wing Giants 44.95 69.74%
Sam Martin Lions 46.86 66.73%

I’ll stick by what I said. Last year has been his best year and he was ranked 14th, but by the same people the previous year he was ranked in the bottom 10. Thanks for providing stats that backed me up. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

This is a good breakdown of 10 bad misses.

Would agree with a lot of this breakdown except a few points:

The one he highlighted Miller being open would have been a bad decision bc he was surrounded by 3 DBs.  And Tru absolutely had to escape pressure on that play.  He can say take the hit and throw the ball but he would have had no chance to get the ball off had he had not rolled left.  Recvs have to see that and come back to the QB to make themselves available.  And the wheel route to Mike Davis was open, it would have been a TD had Tru not gotten hit when he threw.  

On to Denver:

#1 Nagy has to play ball control here.  You have a 3 headed stable of RBs, their strengths are pass rush and coverage.  Give them a heavy dose of RunDMC.  If you dont, you will see dime coverage all game until you show you are willing to adjust.  

#2 OL has to bounce back.  Last week was the worst OL performance I have seen this team since the infamous 9 sacks in a half game several years ago.  Nobody played well.  It was embarrassing, everyone must be better.

#3 Bring back the fly/jet motions.  A staple of this offense last year was used ONCE against GB.  Force the defense to declare and commit.  Dont let Miller and Chubb pin their ears back all game.  

#4 Change tempo.  It's not a coincidence that the offense finally showed some life when you started running quick game.  Get the play in quick and let your QB decide how fast or slow to set the pace

• Like 1

What I want to see is our WRs get YAC. I complained about the lack of broken tackles last year and didnt see anything last week. Tru does best when he gets the ball out with timing. To do that he needs to get some help.

From Nagy I want to see less predictable playcalling. Use rollouts, move the pocket, run the ball in, out, counter, etc. Quit running 3 WRs to the same level, quit doing so many stop routes. Get big guys like ARob to do more slants, use Gabriel/Cohen/Patterson's speed to move the safeties back and use ARob and Miller to attack in the intermediate. Then Montgomery can be a safety net. 

Ok, end rant. Lol

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I’ll stick by what I said. Last year has been his best year and he was ranked 14th, but by the same people the previous year he was ranked in the bottom 10. Thanks for providing stats that backed me up. 

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

For the third year in a row, I’ve taken the punting data from 2017 and parsed it in a more useful way. Here’s last year’s, with 2015’s results embedded into it.

If I read this correctly it includes 2015-2018 so it doesn't back you up at all.  You can choose to believe whatever you like. It's a still a free country as of today.  But that still doesn't make you correct.

AND if O'Donnell is truly a bottom 10 Punter what logic would you use to explain why Pace re-signed him.  I'll wait.

Man, what a phuc'n week.  Debating with some of you is like mad0228.gif.

I think the Broncos were stupid for hiring Fangio as a HC. In today's NFL you need an offensive minded HC to win unless you are the Patriots. I'm mad because they probably made both teams worse with that move. It seems like whenever the Bears have an elite defense, there's always some team ready to scoop up our defensive coordinator.

I'm expecting a tough, gritty game between two good defenses. Denver is going to try to control the clock with their running game, but I hope Nagy comes up with a better gameplan and put up more points.

I like the Denver defense with their two great pass rushers but I think their offensive system is antiquated, the only thing I'm worried about is the home field advantage with the elevation. It might be a good thing that we got beat on the first game because our team will play harder the rest of the season.

-- I'm a firm believer that Mitch's confidence is rattled based on his unusual body language in the presser's but I don't think it's completely shot like some seem to think. So I wanna see how he responds. 
One of the best traits of a true QB is how they are able fare when their backs are against the wall and Mitch's back couldn't be any closer to a stone wall right now with all of the pressure on his shoulders.

-- Nagy needs to stick to his word and run the ball more to take the pressure off of Mitch. That said, I didn't watch the game, but I've heard about OAK's success on the ground against DEN last week and we all know how good Fangio is at making adjustments, so I expect him to make stopping the run a top priority in this game. He's a hard nose by all accounts, so God help them if they don't tighten up. 

-- This game could very well come down to a FG and Mile high is the easiest place in the NFL to kick a field goal from long distances in normal temperatures. If Piniero is put in this situation and nails a 50 yarder, that could be a major confidence booster for him, and the fans, moving forward.

-- The OL was horrendous against the Packers as Pettine was able to disguise his packages well and come at us with something the offense was not prepared for and had never seen and it caught 'em off guard.  Helfrich and the OL are too damn good to let this happen again. Right?

Daniels is still learning Helfrich's system but he should already be well accustomed to the Cneter position by now and understand his assignments. I'll def be watching him.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

If I read this correctly it includes 2015-2018 so it doesn't back you up at all.  You can choose to believe whatever you like. It's a still a free country as of today.  But that still doesn't make you correct.

AND if O'Donnell is truly a bottom 10 Punter what logic would you use to explain why Pace re-signed him.  I'll wait.

Man, what a phuc'n week.  Debating with some of you is like mad0228.gif.

Well it's obvious that you aren't reading it right because in what you just linked again it list him as a bottom 10 punter, that's from 2015 thru 2017. In 2018 which was his best year they ranked him at 14th. Here is the chart in your link, I bolded O'Donnell for you. Seems YOUR links that YOU posted back me up, and I guess you could call it debating but you would have to be able to read and understand your own links.

Player Team Short Field Long Field
Andy Lee Panthers 80.03% 53.22
Shane Lechler Texans 78.24% 49.68
Johnny Hekker Rams 75.25% 51.51
Matthew Bosher Falcons 76.46% 50.29
Marquette King Raiders 76.69% 49.89
Bryan Anger Buccaneers 77.82% 49.02
Thomas Morstead Saints 76.62% 49.54
Sam Martin Lions 72.43% 50.63
Sam Koch Ravens 73.67% 49.75
Chris Jones Cowboys 76.33% 47.39
Kevin Huber Bengals 75.83% 47.57
Drew Kaser Chargers 74.06% 48.12
Brett Kern Titans 74.01% 48.07
Brad Wing Giants 74.54% 47.72
Tress Way Redskins 73.58% 48.27
Riley Dixon Broncos 75.06% 47.25
Donnie Jones Eagles 75.87% 46.50
Matt Darr Dolphins 75.64% 46.58
Pat McAfee Colts 69.18% 50.86
Jon Ryan Seahawks 73.25% 47.81
Dustin Colquitt Chiefs 72.91% 47.56
Michael Palardy Panthers 73.26% 47.27
Brad Nortman Jaguars 71.15% 48.63
Jordan Berry Steelers 73.02% 47.33
Ryan Allen Patriots 73.57% 46.92
Pat O’Donnell Bears 72.14% 47.36
Jeff Locke Vikings 73.53% 46.09
Matt Wile Multiple 68.73% 49.20
Britton Colquitt Browns 72.13% 46.78
Bradley Pinion 49ers 73.08% 45.85
Jake Schum Packers 74.22% 44.80
Lac Edwards Jets 70.21% 46.17
Donald Butler Cardinals 73.76% 43.92
Ryan Quigley Cardinals 73.63% 43.89
Colton Schmidt Bills 72.16% 43.90

• Like 1

This negativity tends to snow ball.

It is important that Mitch come out and play a clean game, not a great game, but a nice clean game like he did against the Packers to clinch the division or against the Vikings in week 17.

If he does that and the Bears win the avalanche stops for a week and everyone can get their feet back under them.

9 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I think the Broncos were stupid for hiring Fangio as a HC. In today's NFL you need an offensive minded HC to win unless you are the Patriots. I'm mad because they probably made both teams worse with that move. It seems like whenever the Bears have an elite defense, there's always some team ready to scoop up our defensive coordinator.

I'm expecting a tough, gritty game between two good defenses. Denver is going to try to control the clock with their running game, but I hope Nagy comes up with a better gameplan and put up more points.

I like the Denver defense with their two great pass rushers but I think their offensive system is antiquated, the only thing I'm worried about is the home field advantage with the elevation. It might be a good thing that we got beat on the first game because our team will play harder the rest of the season.

I may like Pagano better than Fangio.  

• Like 1

I think if Bears lose this game Bears fans and media will absolutely lose their minds and crush the teams spirit in the process.

This is an important game.  Opening the whole NFL slate with GB and a ton of hype then laying a tremendous egg and giving everyone and their brother a week and half to talk about it and dissect it was about worse thing that could have happened to the Bears.  

They can still recover from that tailspin because talent will eventually show and they have talent, but it gets a lot harder.

Such is life.  Que sera sera.  Eat at Arby's.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think if Bears lose this game Bears fans and media will absolutely lose their minds and crush the teams spirit in the process.

This is an important game.  Opening the whole NFL slate with GB and a ton of hype then laying a tremendous egg and giving everyone and their brother a week and half to talk about it and dissect it was about worse thing that could have happened to the Bears.  

They can still recover from that tailspin because talent will eventually show and they have talent, but it gets a lot harder.

Such is life.  Que sera sera.  Eat at Arby's.

I did predict an 0-2 start but it wouldn't be any less easy to swallow :(