GDT "Let's Move On" Edition: Bears & Broncos 9/15/19

beardown3231

1 minute ago, malak1 said:

Sure. It tells me he isn’t confident with Mitch. Doesn’t matter though. Mitch is the starting quarterback, we need to see if he’s a franchise quarterback. Otherwise, he needs to be jettisoned. I’m ok with sticking with Mitch this season and giving him 14 more games to prove he’s worth a damn. The only way, however, we’ll get to see this is if Nagy takes off the training wheels.

Nagy's in a tough position where he needs to both win games and develop a QB. It's going to be an interesting balance. This defense is absolutely elite but I'm worried that this team is the 2005 Bears or the 2000 Ravens.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

Nagy's in a tough position where he needs to both win games and develop a QB. It's going to be an interesting balance. This defense is absolutely elite but I'm worried that this team is the 2005 Bears or the 2000 Ravens.

I’d be more than ok with being the 2000 ravens lol

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This is 100% spot on. His job isn’t to develop a QB first, his job is to win games first and foremost.

I feel like after the Rams game he felt he needed to dink and dunk because it gave him the best chance of winning.

Well done on the win, guys. Gut wrencher for us but in truth, only one of those teams has playoff aspirations and it isn't us.

You have some really nice pieces on all tiers of the Defense; I know all about Khalil Mack during his Bronco killing days as a Raider, but I haven't seen much of players like Eddie Jackson and Leonard Floyd who were both excellent.

I do fear you may be a bit like the 2016/17 Broncos whereby an excellent defense is held back by a struggling QB. I'm just not impressed with the way he sees the field or the accuracy in a muddied pocket I am afraid, but that's just my opinion. Good teams will eventually score points on you and you've got to find a way to go toe to toe. I'm sure you lot have seen enough to correct me.

Best of luck the rest of the way.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Believe it or not Gruden was openly pounding the table for Houston to take Manziel #1. There's also an article out there where he criticized Oakland taking Mack

I believe it  completely.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Anyone catch Piniero's presser? I like his energy. He's just oozing with confidence right now. You can tell how good he's feeling and rightfully so.

I love Eddy. Dude never lacks confidence and will talk smack at any point. If there is an alpha mentality for kickers then that kid has it. 

40 minutes ago, malak1 said:

I swear, it seems like when we need to move the ball down field quickly at the end of games, Mitch is really good in the vertical game. When we do this horizontal stuff all game we’re stagnant.

Because we condensed our offense FOR the defense. Nagy wants to run curls, outs, and drags and hope for YAC but we don't get many YAC. We joked that only Cohen, Miller and Tru could actually break a tackle on the team.

Since no one respects the deep ball the safeties sit tight and if we break on tackle then there is someone right there to clean up. It is the same crap Trestman did his 2nd year. 

You don't throw bombs constantly but you have to attack each level and side to side. When you attack only a few zones coverages become incredibly easy to defend. Nagy and Tru seem to have forgotten that. Nagy's playcalling has been Tice/Ron Turner bad this season. 

42 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Well he is failing at both. His offense put up 1 TD in 8 quarters and Pagano is more responsible for the win and not getting dominated last week.  

He literally was bailed out by the QB at the end this week, he didn't help the QB win the game. Last week he hoped it would be the same by calling 30+ pass plays consecutively. You don't do that with Brady, Peyton, or Brees, why the hell would he do that with Tru? Ridiculously poor job so far, I'm hoping he cleans it up. He made a substantial improvement by remembering Montgomery this week at least. 

A win is nice.

But Mitch isn’t good enough. He made 1 throw to cover up for how pathetic the offense was all day.

Nagy needs to stop riding the coat tails of the defense and get this offense going.

I am not sure how I am suppose to be more confident about the season outlook after that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

It’s only 83 degrees. You’re a professional athlete, I can’t stand that cop out.

We hit a high of 90 today but even if it was only 83 at some point during the game the field temps would be at least 10 degrees above that.

The air is thin and even partial sun will heat it up and on a hot dry day even 90 will feel like your in an oven.  Due to the way that stadium is constructed you're down in a bowl surrounded but the seating structure and the heat can get very focused.  It's often 100 degrees plus on the playing surface even when the ambient temps outside the stadium are far lower.  Sun and altitude are major factors in that.

6 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

I live at 6k feet. It’s not that bad.

But you're not playing football in full uniform.  Like I posted even if the ambient air temp is only 83 degrees down on the field it's 90-100 degrees with little air movement and just like at your place that air is mighty thin for guys who play at home at 600 feet in a stadium on a windy lakefront.  Denver's home field advantage is about as good as it gets anywhere in the NFL.

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

What about in December when it's 25 and snowing? My point is, altitude has nothing to do with the temperature. Every home game is tough on the opponents

I can answer that.  Once it stops snowing and the sun comes out that snow will be gone quickly.  At 5300 feet not only is the air thinner but the impact of the sun is much greater as well.  Less atmosphere to cut through.  But at 25 degrees breathing will be a little easier than at 90 because the air won't be quite as thin.

6 hours ago, Pool said:

Can we lure Cutler out of retirement? I mean at least those games were interesting. This has been boring as heck.

My exact thought.  Imagine what he might do with these offensive tools and this defense.  Not gonna happen though.  He's a farmer and TV star now, LOL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I know we've had our differences lately but man, I actually don't think he played terrible. It was certainly was NOT good but I think the gameplan was for him to play that way (which could show that Nagy believes he sucks but whatever). Hopefully this is a confidence builder for everyone

BD I'll give him the next three before the bye week to show me he can lead that offense.

That's Wash. on the road on a Monday night on national TV so pressure again, Minny at home where we can't lose another NFCN game at home, and Oakland in London in front of the entire world.  All three of those games can be won or lost depending almost entirely on which Mitch shows up to play.  So far IMHO he's 2-2 as bad Mitch.  Until that pitch to ARob he had less than 100 yards passing.

That's rookie or backup level QB play and there's no avoiding it.  No excuse Nagy can offer can hide Mitch's current issues.

If we lose 2 of those 3 games or God forbid all 3 I would bench him and stater Daniel.  We'd be at least 2 if not 3 games underwater in our own division and any playoff hopes would dangle by a thread at best.  GB is already 2-0 and after the Denver game most likely 3-0.

My strategy isn't based on Daniel being better but rather shocking Mitch into a realization that he has to play like the QB he was drafted to be or he will force Pace and Nagy into looking at other options for 2020.  Either he sucks it up and comes back fierce and ready to take over or he's shamed by it and goes all hang dog.  If it's the latter he's cooked his goose and we do need to find other alternatives.

IMHO this is not something we keep nursing him through week after week.  Eventually we have to do the "fish or cut bait time" with him and IMHO the sooner the better.  His problem appears to be two fold.  He's currently lacking in confidence and his game skills come nowhere near matching his physical skills.  It's a mental/psychological deal for him now and he alone has to break out of that.