Eric Berry time?

armsteeld

Why not? Is Sean Davis ready to go? Steelers like running 3 Safety grouping and that was shelved (?) during the Patriots game. Eric Berry should be signed as Big Ben doesn't have much time left. Steelers should be in a win now mode and Berry is someone that is be targeting. Berry is more SS than FS but he has the ability and experience to play deep. What are your thoughts?

Eric Berry is more SS in the box. How much does that really help our defense?  No doubt Berry is savvy, intelligent and will knock a guy into next week, but he is injury prone and his style of play is not what this defense needs.  I have been saying long before he was signed that the Steelers sign a player like Tre' Boston. He was there for the signing through some of training camp. 

I do not believe that safety is such a weakness right now.  Davis was out and Kelly was playing in his first NFL start along with going against one of the most intelligent and savvy QB's of all time.  No pass rush and the lack of offensive consistency hurt the defensive play. The defense was on the field too long and the offense shot themselves in the foot more often than not (execution, poor play calling, mental mistakes and lacks of concentration).

A healthy Davis helps this secondary.  Kelly looks like a guy who has some talent, but would be best served as a back-up a la Jordan Dangerfield. You don't want these guys starting, but they can make a few plays with the right pieces around them and in the right role (not as a starter).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Why not? Is Sean Davis ready to go? Steelers like running 3 Safety grouping and that was shelved (?) during the Patriots game. Eric Berry should be signed as Big Ben doesn't have much time left. Steelers should be in a win now mode and Berry is someone that is be targeting. Berry is more SS than FS but he has the ability and experience to play deep. What are your thoughts?

Another one. It's like where was I when I hacked your account and posted this. This would be a Mark Barron replacement/upgrade IMO. Someone that can cover the tight end. Good chess work. He can cover the tight end. Including Kelce. I'm down - If I can also get Patrick Peterson to play safety or CB. Because then I'm actually fighting for somin - and not just draft position. You might be more inclined to trade some 2nd's when you pick up a 5th for Dobbs.

Considering, we don't have a CB on the roster that can tackle. Gordon TD. I still like Sean Davis at CB. But, what do I know. I'm not painting the barn red. 

Haden, Nelson, Davis, Hilton, Peterson, Edmunds w/Berry, Barron, and Bush as a nickel rotation is quite stellar. Now, you only need to sit Dupree and go with Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, and Watt. 

That's a #1 defense on paper. Ohhhh, but you still got Butler calling the shots. 

Coach LeBeau? His handicap has probably dropped a few strokes by now.

Edited by Money
Barn work...

"While recovering from the torn Achilles, he had been dealing with a sore heel, which was later diagnosed as a Haglund's deformity, which is a bone spur that digs into the Achilles causing extreme pain"

... just kidding unless we can shave the bone down

Earl Thomas could have helped.  Another player in UFA they never tried to sign but could have been a good signing.  None of our safeties should be on an NFL legit top half of the league D.  

when was the last time the steelers had such a bad pair of starting safeties? Shell/Edwards,   Lake/Perry, Troy/Clark ... that is the standard.  This team needs safety help in a major way if Edmunds doesn't  turn into a the player they expected. 

I thought the Berry signing would be a good idea, then I remembered the injuries as pointed out here.

Edited by 3rivers