GDT Week 2: Niners

theJ

56 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The problem with that statement is the 49ers didn't really load the box all that much. They played their safeties more for coverage. I could be wrong as I don't have the stats for this, but I don't recall the box being stacked much. The DL was just able to get off their blocks quick and made stops behind the LOS. The run blocking was the biggest issue, not loaded boxes. 

I agree with this.  A lot of the faults of our run game is just missed blocking assignments or not being able to win one on ones...

43 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What do we have to lose by sticking Germaine Pratt in there and seeing what happens?

Probably more blown tackles and bad defense from being out of position.

I wouldn't necessarily do that quite yet.  But if by midseason this team is 2-6 or something, then yeah it's time to stick him in there and let him get his lumps.

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

Probably more blown tackles and bad defense from being out of position.

I wouldn't necessarily do that quite yet.  But if by midseason this team is 2-6 or something, then yeah it's time to stick him in there and let him get his lumps.

You play Vigil and Brown instead of Evans and Pratt because they can read the offense and be in position.  They did not do that at all against the 49ers.  So while I won't completely make an overhaul based on 1 game, if it happens again I don't see any reason you don't play the athletic LBs more since the cerebral ones are sucking at everything.

And Vigil played worse than Brown...

45 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

You play Vigil and Brown instead of Evans and Pratt because they can read the offense and be in position.  They did not do that at all against the 49ers.  So while I won't completely make an overhaul based on 1 game, if it happens again I don't see any reason you don't play the athletic LBs more since the cerebral ones are sucking at everything.

And Vigil played worse than Brown...

I agree.  If it turns into a trend, you make the switch.  But 1 game doesn't make a trend, and i thought they did a decent job in Seattle.  IMO i'd wait another couple of games, not just one.  But i'm less reactionary than most.

25 minutes ago, theJ said:

I agree.  If it turns into a trend, you make the switch.  But 1 game doesn't make a trend, and i thought they did a decent job in Seattle.  IMO i'd wait another couple of games, not just one.  But i'm less reactionary than most.

Vigil has never been good here.  They bulked him up and he lost speed and agility.  Yes he piles up tackles, but they are usually 5 yards or more downfield.  Maualuga was like that.  So were a ton of other former Bengals' LBs.  I'd let Pratt start a few games over him at some point soon, and if he is even close to Vigil's level or hopefully better, leave him there and develop him for the future by giving him snaps now

6 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Vigil has never been good here.  They bulked him up and he lost speed and agility.  Yes he piles up tackles, but they are usually 5 yards or more downfield.  Maualuga was like that.  So were a ton of other former Bengals' LBs.  I'd let Pratt start a few games over him at some point soon, and if he is even close to Vigil's level or hopefully better, leave him there and develop him for the future by giving him snaps now

They're still trying to develop Vigil though.  He's still young.  Benching him would be a mistake, IMO.

Just now, theJ said:

But we don't know the defense either.

Regardless of the call he should either be in pursuit of the ball carrier. He should be reading the lineman stretching left and flowing towards the runner. Covering the cutback with Williams already in the box to his left makes zero sense.

Low effort, low IQ, sub par athlete. Just terrible.