Texans release Aaron Colvin after horrific game vs Saints; signed by Skins

Matts4313

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This is absolutely my interpretation of the situation as well. I've known managers in other professions like this. The guy who screwed up one day in his career, but that screw up came right before a big meeting or review or something, gets fired on the spot because the manager is pissed off or trying to save face or whatever. Never makes sense to cut a high depth chart guy when it doesn't save money. Like, if he was worse than the guys below him, he at least should've been benched first, presumably.

That Colvin deal was kinda goofy from the start.  As a Jaguars fan, i was sad to see him go, because he was a great NB in that particular system...but he was never going to be the sort of boundary corner who would live up to that contract.  Was always bound for failure with those sort of expectations.

Honestly, i'd be curious about bringing him back to Jacksonville right now to work in at FS.  Now that the Texans have poached the Jags quality starting FS in Gipson.  I think Colvin could potentially fit there in the right scheme.  Though really...he just seems like a solid NB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Runaway Jim said:

Nobody’s going to want that GM job after BOB finishes destroying the team. 

You're going to have a franchise QB throwing to a top 3 WR, and a TON of cap space at your disposal. You'll have a gig with a franchise that is notorious for giving people a long leash - save for Brian Gaine, every coach/GM here has been given a 6-8 year period to prove their incompetence, and given season after season to prove said incompetence. You're not getting fired quickly in Houston, for better or worse. People have jumped for worse situations, this is one of 32 GM gigs in the NFL - someone is salivating for the opportunity.

Now, if BOB the HC is still here... you may have a problem.

• Like 2

I am in Houston and I listen to 610 Texans radio most days.

Colvin has been a horrible CB as a Texan and they were just hoping he would not be awful this year. No one was surprised when he had a bad game.

• PFF gave him as 52.2 for last year and a 28.9 for this game. (both on merit)
  • His Pro Football Reference AV last year was a 2

They should fire the GM who paid him... they did.

Here is what Football Outsiders said about his signing:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2018-free-agency-cost-benefit-analysis

The argument in defense of the Aaron Colvin signing is that it's only $18 million in guarantees, but even that feels too high. Colvin benefited from being surrounded by excellent athletes in Jacksonville. He's not good in man coverage and is not good at playing the ball. He's a zone defender and a good run stopper, but it feels like he got over-paid for his association with a top defense last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Wasn’t he a beat with Jax? 

He was a terrific slot corner with the Jags.  But they only really asked him to fill a pretty specific niche role that suited his skillset really well.  Lots of zone, lots of run support.  Plus, it helped to have arguably the best CB in the game on one side and another arguable Top-10ish CB on the other...with a really good FS behind him and pretty decent SS support as well.  ie. He was "a beast" as probably the 4 or 5th best DB in a very niche role in an absolutely stacked secondary.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

5-11, here they come ...

That's the sad part. We're gonna beat up a few teams we should beat up, get lucky a few times and stumble into a 9-7 record. We'll lose in the first round of the playoffs, and BOB will get an extension. 

I'd honestly hope for a 5-11 record, just to fire OB.