Never Ever Forget

brooks1957

13 minutes ago, Dome said:

I was in 5th grade and saw the second plane hit right as I came downstairs for breakfast. I’ll never forget the look on my dads face. 

I was walking to my first class of the day at the University of Houston, I was maybe a Sophomore back then - some random guy in the parking lot walks by me and says "a plane just hit the World Trade Center." I figured it was an accident, so I went to the library to read about it. I tried to pull up CNN, and nothing. Tried Fox - nothing. Tried the BBC and Reuters - nothing. 

Then I heard a shriek in the main area, just a blood curdling scream. A TV was up, and we saw - in real time - the 2nd tower get hit. Right then, we all knew this wasn't normal.

I ran to meet my friends at the UC, and the adminstration was setting up TVs everywhere, and announced that classes were cancelled. We all say by the TVs and watched it unfold. It was the most surreal moment I've ever experienced in my life, with no real 2nd place (maybe the Challenger disaster in 1986).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Right then, we all knew this wasn't normal.

My dad said “that’s not a ******* accident.” right after we saw the second plane hit. My dad doesn’t swear and he doesn’t lose his temper. As a kid that didn’t understand the magnitude of what was happening, that was way scarier than what I had seen on the TV.

• Like 2

Was at work --- fitness center getting ready to teach a class.  Walking past some of the cardio equipment and there was a crowd of people just in shock staring at the TVs.  Watched most of the events from the 2nd plane hitting the WTC to both towers collapsing and the chaos that followed.  Crazy that it was about 4+ weeks before my wedding and it changed a lot of stuff for those events for many people.

• Like 1

I was a 5th graders and still will never forget the exact moment. 

Small town yet in Minnesota before we moved, we were having our “morning blast off” 33 of my classmates along with our rest of our k-6th grade classes were really in shock, not exactly understanding what was going on while our teachers were in solid tears. The morning of this our high school band class had just landed in New York, many of the teachers had children that were on that trip. 

I had one girl in my class that actually moved to our home town from New York that had a family member that worked in the World Trade Center but her parents moved to work in Sioux Falls. She was in tears. 

The whole day consisted of us staring at the news while our teachers were trying to explain to us kids what was going on. Many of us that had parents at home were just allowed to go home. 

It was a crazy day for a young kid, while I still believe I didn’t understand what was happening at the time, it’s still a day I will never forget. 

God Bless America.

• Like 3

I was in 8th grade, walked in and saw the TV was on so I thought we were watching one of the science videos she liked to use, then we all realized what was going on. No one really said anything for the entire hour. Principal called for everyone to go to the gym an hour or two later so she could talk with us all about it, and answer whatever questions we had. Parents were allowed to pick up kids without any issues, but school stayed open just to make sure everyone was watched. Classes after that were all just talking and watching the news.