Why mid round "safe picks"?

Hockey5djh

So I wanted to challenge a generally accepted drafting concept and see what people think about it. Most drafts consist of the top third of starters or high performing players from previous years, the middle third consists of "safe picks" high floor established players, and the bottom third that is generally high upside lottery tickets.

My question: Why is "safe picks" so widely accepted among drafters?

Personally, after I get past the starters I go right to higher upside players. My main requirement is that they have a clear path to a starting role (#2/#3 WR, #2 RB behind any older/oft injured players). You'll never catch me drafting "supplemental" guys like Bilal Powell, Duke Johnson Jr, Theo Riddick or older WRs that are taking on lesser roles (Brandon Marshall, DeSean Jackson, Eric Decker). I feel like hitting on that lottery ticket is much more beneficial than the guy you grimace at when you put him in the starting lineup.

Thoughts?

I personally like to go "safe" rounds 1-3. If one of your top picks bust you're screwed. Then 4-7 I take guys I think are more high risk/high reward. The last third of the draft is mixing zero upside, solid, fill-in vets, and complete 100% upside players. 

9 minutes ago, ajdodge09 said:

The last third of the draft is mixing zero upside, solid, fill-in vets, and complete 100% upside players. 

Overall strategy aside, why would you ever take a zero upside player?

I'm trying to understand taking a player whose ceiling is something like 600 yards and 3 TDs. Averaged over 16 weeks thats under 40 yards per game with a "oh look what I found" chance at a TD. On most given weeks you'd be disappointed if someone you started gets 4 points.

1 hour ago, ajdodge09 said:

I personally like to go "safe" rounds 1-3. If one of your top picks bust you're screwed. Then 4-7 I take guys I think are more high risk/high reward. The last third of the draft is mixing zero upside, solid, fill-in vets, and complete 100% upside players. 

This is what I do as well. Rounds 1 and 2 specifically, I want the "safest" guys available. I won't ever be drafting gronk. My middle rounds see a lot of reaches on guys who disappointed the year before (Melvin Gordon was on every team I owned last year), young player in good positions, and gut breakout candidates. 

1 hour ago, ajdodge09 said:

The last third of all of my drafts are soley IMMENSE upside

Feel like Brandon Marshall has pretty high upside on the Giants, so thats not a great example but having those "safe" guys like Powell who will get you 6-12 points a week usually is pretty clutch to have on your bench. An injury, or last minute lineup change and you have a guy you can plug in.

3 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

Nothing is safe in fantasy. I say go risky but have a backup plan

Pretty much this. Yes I used to roll with safer guys but i have taken more risks with my picks once 1-4 are established rounds but if everyone you take has a low floor/high ceiling after round 4, you just might not hit on anyone. I tend to think guys with no ceiling but a high floor still tend to average 7-8 ppg which isn't horrible if your 1st 4 picks were really good

Like with anything, it's important to have balance. Those mid-round guys you should target are the players who you believe have a high floor and at least a RB2/WR2 ceiling. I will grab more of those types if I took some risks early on (zeke, gronk, QB/TE early)

At the end of drafts it's all about upside.

15 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

Well if you get a low ceiling, high floor guy he still has the lowest floor possible: injury.

So if you get a guy who's potential is ten points a game but he gets put on IR, you played yourself 

All players get injured you can remove that common denominator lol.

15 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

All players get injured you can remove that common denominator lol.

That's my point. No one is a safe player because they can all get injured. Better to go after the guy with the upside because eliminating risk in fantasy is a fool's errand.

Most leagues have just as many or even more bench spots than active roster spots.

If you take all risky guys, and only half of them work out, that is fine. Because that's all you need to start.

And in ten man leagues or less especially there is always safe, low upside guys on waivers.

Archived