Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

14 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

We'll find out in week 9

After Harbaugh comes off of a bye week and we’re playing at home?

I’m not convinced that’s the week. Maybe if THEY were coming off of their bye week. Honestly with Suggs in tow within that meeting room, I thought the Cardinals had about as good of a defensive plan you could conjure against Lamar. I’m sure the Patriots will copy it, but simply have more talent to execute it effectively.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Honestly with Suggs in tow within that meeting room, I thought the Cardinals had about as good of a defensive plan you could conjure against Lamar.

Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs both have rings. Big time vets that know how to take coaching and stay disciplined, which is key against Lamar. They also had talented safeties who could really tackle in DJ Swearinger and Budda Baker. We'll face a ton of teams that don't have the same caliber of personnel in those position groups. And when you get EDGE players playing wild against us and safeties missing tackles/blowing assignments- you'll see versions of what happened to Miami.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not convinced that’s the week. Maybe if THEY were coming off of their bye week. Honestly with Suggs in tow within that meeting room, I thought the Cardinals had about as good of a defensive plan you could conjure against Lamar. I’m sure the Patriots will copy it, but simply have more talent to execute it effectively.

I'll never in my entire life underestimate Bill Belichick.

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think you're outsmarting yourself/overthinking it on this one if you really think in a million years that the Pats and Belichek aren't a huge test or that they can't gameplan against us any better than Kliff Kingsbury and Vance Joseph did. 

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

I'll never in my entire life underestimate Bill Belichick.

I think there is a firm difference in not underestimating him and simply not believing that there is a true solution to “solving” the Ravens offense. It’s like asking which pill is better, the red pill or the blue pill.

I mean Lamar has proven he can hit other receivers outside of Brown/Andrews but simply leaned on them in this game heavily. Last year he loved to lean on Willie Snead down the stretch. Which means he can at anytime divert back to that. But if Hollywood and Andrews are more reliable (I can’t remember either dropping a pass that touched their hands) whereas Boykin has dropped passes, Snead typically catches his passes but had the drop against Miami that could’ve meant 6 TDs for Lamar, and Hurst while he doesn’t drop passes showed last season to not be completely reliable at boxing out his man or getting down low if the ball isn't 100% accurate. Brown and Andrews have proven an great catch radius and great hands. Can’t fault him for that. But if he needs to he can and will go elsewhere, I’m more concerned over if those other players step up when he does NEED to go their way (not so concerned with Snead, but moreso Boykin and Hurst).

I think we'll see pretty quickly how good this offense adjusts. To me the optimal way to defend us in the passing game isn't really that complicated: its to get some interior pressure on Lamar (which KC is set up to do) and to double up Andrews and take away Lamar's safety blanket. That creates opportunities deeper downfield if it gets Hollywood in single coverage but pressure on the QB can disrupt the timing and stop those longer developing plays from happening under the right circumstances. We still have options when the play breaks down because of Lamar's legs but collapsing the play early makes those scrambles more difficult because the room to run hasn't necessarily been vacated yet by defenders turning to defend downfield. 

Snead and Hurst are the guys that are gonna need to step up if/when teams decide to dare Lamar to beat them in the air without leaning on Andrews - they'll need to win their matchups and Lamar will have to show consistency throwing towards the sidelines as opposed to up the seams where he's more comfortable. We're set up to deal with those issues for sure but we absolutely have bigger challenges coming up on that front. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

13 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think you're outsmarting yourself/overthinking it on this one if you really think in a million years that the Pats and Belichek aren't a huge test or that they can't gameplan against us any better than Kliff Kingsbury and Vance Joseph did. 

I never said that they can’t create a great gameplan. As they have superior players to put in position to stop Lamar, which I said. But beyond that, schematically, having Terrell Suggs on that defense who practiced against Lamar all last season and is one of the greatest defensive minds of any player in the league AS WELL AS Vance Joseph, that gives them an advantage. Similar to with Gregg Williams vs Baker Mayfield on Monday. 

So while BB is the greatest mind in the game, how do you stop a player that you can’t blitz up field or he can damage you for yards. Who has proven to escape pressure up the middle, by running up the vacated middle of the field if he escapes. That his passing strength is against zone coverage so running a bunch of zone looks isn't necessarily going to work, even if it’s the best way to keep an eye on him. That has great weapons along the outside for going deep as well as bubble screens.

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think we'll see pretty quickly how good this offense adjusts. To me the potential solution in the passing game isn't really that complicated: its to get some interior pressure on Lamar (which KC is set up to do) and to double up Andrews and take away Lamar's safety blanket. That creates opportunities deeper downfield if it gets Hollywood in single coverage but pressure on the QB can disrupt the timing and stop those longer developing plays from happening under the right circumstances.

Snead and Hurst are the guys that are gonna need to step up if/when teams decide to dare Lamar to beat them in the air without leaning on Andrews - they'll need to win their matchups and Lamar will have to show consistency throwing towards the sidelines as opposed to up the seams where he's more comfortable. We're set up to deal with those issues for sure but we absolutely have bigger challenges coming up on that front. 

In addition to that they can hold their defensive looks to the last second, which he hasn’t really seen as much of yet as well. But I’m simply saying, the Cardinals are going to be one of the teams to best put together a gameplan considering how familiar they are with both a mobile QB as well as having Suggs on staff.

44 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Speaking of James Urban, I sometimes think he gets undersold some. He was one of the best WR coaches with the Bengals and constantly developed players into studs.

He comes over here and works with Lamar Jackson and we’ve seen Jackson past anywhere Flacco has ever shown in passing fundamentals.

I think Urban deserves a lot of credit for his work alongside Lamar’s personal QB coach.

Great thread below, I recommend it. Something positive to note from the game is that despite the largely inaccurate day from Lamar, he had players open. This offense has a young core of play makers surrounding him, and the unit's ceiling will be historic for us as a franchise. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Reports are Lamar was cussing up a storm when reviewing the Chiefs film. He knows this is unacceptable and that he's capable of more. I'm expecting a really dialed in Jackson on Sunday. He'll bounce back.

I saw this on twitter as well. There are some who points out, that the math doesn't add up, and that Lamar shouldn't be on this list or that high on the list.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Danand said:

I saw this on twitter as well. There are some who points out, that the math doesn't add up, and that Lamar shouldn't be on this list or that high on the list.

Yea, I know guys like Ken and Yoshi were talking about it. Doesn't surprise me. PFF always needs the "FWIW" label attached to their postings. 

Bottom line is Lamar doesn't want to even be in the conversation for a list like that. I don't think it likely that he'll have another day like he did in KC. 

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Reports are Lamar was cussing up a storm when reviewing the Chiefs film. He knows this is unacceptable and that he's capable of more. I'm expecting a really dialed in Jackson on Sunday. He'll bounce back.

6 hours ago, Danand said:

Yea, considering his completion percentage is 63%, I find this hard to believe. We don’t throw a ton of screens relative to other teams.