Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

Hyperbolic title aside, this is a really good video taking a look at Lamar's progress as a passer. I thought his conclusion on what Lamar has to work on - pinpointing that he needs to slow down and be willing to float his deep balls to lead his receivers when they have a step on their corner rather than trying to drive the ball at them in a way that sometimes prevents them from catching the ball in stride - was interesting because I think one of the popular criticisms of Lamar has been that he floats too many of his throws and potentially lacked the arm talent to drive those balls into the deep sideline windows - Kollman basically takes the opposite view. 

• Like 1

How are folks feeling about Lamar at the quarter pole? 

I am really glad to see him make throws like the one to start the 3rd quarter (14:52). A deep out for 18 yards to Boykin. If he can hit precision passes for intermediate distance on the sideline like that consistently, it opens up the entire field.

I was a bit mixed out the throw to C. Moore in the 2nd quarter (8:32) which would have been for 26 yards. Ruled complete but obviously out of bounds upon replay. I wasn't sure if Moore was tightroping down the sideline and lost his feet, or Lamar threw him out of bounds. I felt that a lot of WRs would stay in bounds on that play, but at the same time Lamar did not have to throw it so close to the sideline.  

If you told me before the season that after 4 games Lamar was at:

65%

10 TD / 2 INT

1110 passing yards

8.3 Y/A

238 rushing yards

I would be thrilled. But because he had an insanely great first game, it feels like the past two games are a regression. When I see him hit a deep out on the sideline though, I get optimistic. 

Also even though Hollywood and Boykin are looking like great prospects, we have to factor that there are going to be growing pains with them. The passing offense may struggle at times.  

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

How are folks feeling about Lamar at the quarter pole? 

Pleased to see that he has indeed progressed as a passer, but his footwork is still pretty inconsistent.  Also pleased that the fumbles seem to have been cut down

I think it's hard to judge how he's done by statistics because that first game distorts them so much.

I think he has outperformed expectations. I somewhat feel that his play against the Browns were better than against the Dolphins. He was a one-man army against the Browns, and with the Chris Moore gaffe and the WR/TE drops could have given us a completely different outcome. Had he not tripped, I think he would have had his first long running TD.

He passes the ball better, the decision making is better and he is aggressive downfield.

What he has to improve on is his sideline passing and getting more receivers involved in the passing game. I fear he will develop Matthew Stafford syndrome and always looking for his favorite guy (Mandrews) just as Stafford did with Johnson.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't disagree.  He was clearly rattled by the pressure. He's not trusting his teammates/eyes and his confidence seems to be lacking.

Hurst has done a good job getting open all year but Lamar hasn't found him often.

Need to see a big bounce back this week vs a poor defense.

Those are the kinds of breakdowns I was looking to see. From what I can see here there's two problems:

1. Lamar is tucking to run without keeping his eyes downfield, which was something he was good at not doing last year.

2. Our route combinations suck. Like...really suck. We have like ONE crossing route on each play and everyone else runs to a spot and stands still.

The third clip is the worst, and Lamar should have made that throw. The second clip he has to either stay or begin to roll right and throw right.

The first clip I don't agree with though. If he passes to Ingram that is certainly either a short gain or a loss of yards. If Ingram had gotten a block on the cornerback Lamar could have gained more yards on the outside, OR Ingram could have released up field and either left some wide open space for Lamar to win a one-on-one or hit Ingram down field.

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

Hurst has done a good job getting open all year but Lamar hasn't found him often.

Need to see a big bounce back this week vs a poor defense.

I don't know if it's just a case of a couple of examples being magnified but I definitely agree on this and it's a little surprising. He and Hurst seemed to have a pretty good connection last year but it seems like Lamar's hesitant throwing the ball his way this season and often seems too locked in on Andrews and Hollywood. 

9 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don't know if it's just a case of a couple of examples being magnified but I definitely agree on this and it's a little surprising. He and Hurst seemed to have a pretty good connection last year but it seems like Lamar's hesitant throwing the ball his way this season and often seems too locked in on Andrews and Hollywood. 

Yeah not sure if it's specifically an Andrews thing, but he's 100% locked in on Hollywood and Andrews, which is probably because most of the time we're not rolling 2 TE sets so the only other options out there are Snead (who doesn't get open) and Roberts (who doesn't get open).

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don't know if it's just a case of a couple of examples being magnified but I definitely agree on this and it's a little surprising.

Hayden only averages 8 routes run per game, so what we've seen is the whole story. Lamar keyed in on him during garbage time against Cle to great effect, and the past 3 Weeks Hurst's target rate has been 50% or higher. So I think what you can draw from it all is that Hayden is consistently open(targeted or not), as well as consistently under utilized in the passing game by Roman.

I'm hoping it's an issue that will resolve itself. Lamar is good at going through his progressions and he knows Hayden is a big time weapon. Every week the All-22 reveals big yardage and even TDs left on the field- by failure of not finding an open Hurst. And Hayden has literally never dropped a ball for us, so I don't think it's in anyway a trust issue on Lamar or Roman/Culley's part either. 

Hopefully everything comes together. And on the bright side at least we have multiple players capable of getting open now. Far cry from previous seasons.

Edited by DreamKid

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Hayden only averages 8 routes run per game, so what we've seen is the whole story. Lamar keyed in on him during garbage time against Cle to great effect, and the past 3 Weeks Hurst's target rate has been 50% or higher. So I think what you can draw from it all is that Hayden is consistently open(targeted or not), as well as consistently under utilized in the passing game by Roman.

I'm hoping it's an issue that will resolve itself. Lamar is good at going through his progressions and he knows Hayden is a big time weapon. Every week the All-22 reveals big yardage and even TDs left on the field- by failure of not finding an open Hurst. And Hayden has literally never dropped a ball for us, so I don't think it's in anyway trust issue on Lamar or Roman/Culley's part either. 

Hopefully everything comes together. And on the bright side at least we have multiple players capable of getting open now. Far cry from previous seasons.

I believe that Lamar has such confidence in Andrews, that he sometimes hold onto the ball just a second longer, because he knows Andrews will break free from coverage. This could mean that he is zoned in on Andrews and doesn't recognize that Hurst is already open.

It is Lamars first season in this offense, so he does get the benefit of doubt that he needs the experience from both on field experience as well as film review. Back when I played we watched just as much film of our previous game as well as the upcoming game, because we could learn a lot from watching ourselves fail.

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZdY6Rx-qSI

Breakdown of Lamar vs Steelers.

To put it short: he looked extremely gun-shy.

Hopefully it's not a trend going forward but being in his first road divisional game ever as a starter against a really good defense may have contributed to the gun shyness. I'm confident it will work itself out...may have not wanted to make too many mistakes with the stakes in that environment.