Jump to content
DreamKid

Lamar Jackson QB1

Recommended Posts

Nitpicky, but Lamar really needs to tone it down on the whole only throw to Hollywood and Mandrews. I get it they are our best playmakers but there are other guys to throw to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Nitpicky, but Lamar really needs to tone it down on the whole only throw to Hollywood and Mandrews. I get it they are our best playmakers but there are other guys to throw to.

Disagree. I didn't see  him forcing it to those guys. It'd be one thing if the targets to those guys where in to tight double coverage or something. 

Moreso we need Boykin, Snead, Hurst to step up and get open (and catch it) when teams sell out on those two. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Disagree. I didn't see  him forcing it to those guys. It'd be one thing if the targets to those guys where in to tight double coverage or something. 

Moreso we need Boykin, Snead, Hurst to step up and get open (and catch it) when teams sell out on those two. 

This is where I'm at. On one hand, it's not healthy for the long term success to only throw to two guys, but on the other hand those guys are open and making plays so I'm all for it. The other players just need to step up and get open as well, because they're going to see lesser coverage moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree with the above that Lamar needs to be conservative when choosing between running for more yardage and protecting himself.

One a semi-separate note, I don't think Lamar choosing to run inherently means he's taking more hits on a 1:1 basis. A lot of times he scrambles it's because he's under pressure and would otherwise be taking a sack. The biggest reason we saw more runs from Lamar this week was because the Cardinals have a much better pass rush (w/ Chandler Jones, Suggs, Reddick, etc). Playing us they had more people in the box attacking the LoS than normal. Lamar made the read to run instead of taking a hit in the pocket. The Cardinals had 11 "QB hits" tallied on Stafford last week vs 2 on Lamar this week. So if you take out kneel downs and runs out bounds, he didn't take many more collisions than Stafford did.

Again, this is not saying he doesn't need to be smarter about how he runs, but people also need to not freak out when he does. Staying in the pocket and taking a hit isn't necessarily better/safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I totally agree with the above that Lamar needs to be conservative when choosing between running for more yardage and protecting himself.

One a semi-separate note, I don't think Lamar choosing to run inherently means he's taking more hits on a 1:1 basis. A lot of times he scrambles it's because he's under pressure and would otherwise be taking a sack. The biggest reason we saw more runs from Lamar this week was because the Cardinals have a much better pass rush (w/ Chandler Jones, Suggs, Reddick, etc). Playing us they had more people in the box attacking the LoS than normal. Lamar made the read to run instead of taking a hit in the pocket. The Cardinals had 11 "QB hits" tallied on Stafford last week vs 2 on Lamar this week. So if you take out kneel downs and runs out bounds, he didn't take many more collisions than Stafford did.

Again, this is not saying he doesn't need to be smarter about how he runs, but people also need to not freak out when he does. Staying in the pocket and taking a hit isn't necessarily better/safer.

I think we all agree on this. Also, the Cardinals were giving Lamar the run, they sold out on coverage and it burned them on the ground. Teams aren't going to be able to stop all three parts of our offense.

Edited by M.10.E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamar should do whatever he feels is necessary to win games. If he wants an extra 6 yards, instead of a non contact exit out of bounds, so be it. The goal is to win games, and ultimately championships. The goal isn't to keep all of your players healthy for their entire careers. QBs are given the keys to an offense. Just as NE trusts Brady to make decisions behind the wheel, so too must we trust Lamar. 

Even if he does pick up a major injury, so what? He can rehab and return to form. Just as millions of athletes before him have done. The gasping over Lamar getting tackled a couple times a game is getting tiresome. And there's always this mythical injury alluded to that we're supposed to be so afraid of. Like Lamar is destined to have his leg amputated because sometimes he gets lightly tackled outside of the pocket lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Lamar should do whatever he feels is necessary to win games. If he wants an extra 6 yards, instead of a non contact exit out of bounds, so be it. The goal is to win games, and ultimately championships. The goal isn't to keep all of your players healthy for their entire careers. QBs are given the keys to an offense. Just as NE trusts Brady to make decisions behind the wheel, so too must we trust Lamar. 

Even if he does pick up a major injury, so what? He can rehab and return to form. Just as millions of athletes before him have done. The gasping over Lamar getting tackled a couple times a game is getting tiresome. And there's always this mythical injury alluded to that we're supposed to be so afraid of. Like Lamar is destined to have his leg amputated because sometimes he gets lightly tackled outside of the pocket lol.

Risk v reward. If that 6 yards gets us a first down or a TD, we're fine with it. But if it's to get from the 50 to the 45 then it's not worth it.

Edited by M.10.E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Risk v reward. If that 6 yards gets us a first down or a TD, we're fine with it. But if it's to get from the 50 to the 45 then it's not worth it.

If Lamar has proved anything it's that the yardage he can get on any given run isn't predictable. His mindset is score. Sometimes the defenders in front of him can hold to him to modest gains that will bring up questions of "Risk vs Reward", and other times he will make all of them miss and turn what looked to be a 5 yard run- into a massive gain.

Like I said, it's Lamar's decision. Pocket QBs make the determination to take massive hits in order to get off a big throw all the time. You don't see this constant fear spread among fans as a result of it though. 

Plus in many cases "Running Safe" puts you at the mercy of NFL defenders who aren't offering any. Lamar should be in control at all times and distribute his fire as he sees fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, M.10.E said:

Nitpicky, but Lamar really needs to tone it down on the whole only throw to Hollywood and Mandrews. I get it they are our best playmakers but there are other guys to throw to.

Absolutely.  DC's will key in on this very soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly so proud of young LJ8. Regardless of if he can sustain this output, he deserves so much respect for the obvious strides he's taken in Year 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

Absolutely.  DC's will key in on this very soon.  

Just curious as to how you anticipate they will do this. What scheme are they running, who are they using to double? Etc.

I “initially” was concerned by the amount of targets as well. But the defense is only allowed 11 hats. If you double both Andrews and Brown... that means you are a) playing coverage with 1-2 down lineman and everything else are DBs. In this case our RBs feast. b) leaving two receivers wide open on the play and daring Lamar to hit them c) leaving more open WRs and bringing the house allowing outlet passes to the RB/safety receiver, or d) depending on the blitz pickup, Lamar himself to evade the blitz and then cruise 80 yards upfield for the score.

If they double just Andrews (more likely) they’re still daring Lamar to find the open receiver and likely trying to blitz quickly/overload so he doesn’t have time to go through his progressions. If you do that, you still are banking on the fact that you have a) a cover corner fast and elite enough to stick with Hollywood Brown in 1on1 coverage and b) You’re still banking on the fact that your blitz is picked up... or else Lamar potentially has an easy rushing score or some ridiculous 50 yard scamper.

If you try and cover Andrews 1on1 and bracket Hollywood, like we saw against the Cardinals, Browns’ defender typically gives him space and he eats that up and then attacks the comeback/out routes. Or he takes the bubble screen and picks up 7-8 yards at a time and then gets down before the defender can deliver a serious lick. What’s more, Andrews has shown that any normal defender cannot consistently guard him in 1on1. So good luck there.

 

I'm not trying to be smart or dense or anything. But I’m not exactly sure how a defense CAN take that away. Been trying to think about all the scenarios but so far that above is all I’ve got. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...