Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

23 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

So far Lamar Jackson is on pace for “only” 792 rushing yards on the season. Do you guys think he ultimately gets 1000 yds rushing on the season?

20 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Not necessarily. If teams keep playing our run tough, Lamar will shred them through the air. I think teams will continue to try to contain the run game, and do it better than they did last year. Teams will rather lose by Lamar passing, and I think Lamar has pretty good weapons now to beat them. 

17 hours ago, Danand said:

I doubt it, but it is a combination of us wanting him to pass the ball more/hand it off to 3-4 good players, and a combination of defenses being more sound in their defense of him. I think teams have chosen to let him get "easy" 5 yards and prevent the long dashes, so I think we should expect more 4-5 yards on runs towards the sideline.

I actually think he has a pretty chance at it (over 1,000 again). These past two games, the team hasn't seemed to really want to run the read option and he still wound up with ~50 yards a game. Seems like that's near his weekly floor.  Could see them go heavy read option against a team like KC and him up the average / pace quite a bit. He's also a block or two away from having a much higher average now, so a long run or two could really change things. 

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I actually think he has a pretty chance at it (over 1,000 again). These past two games, the team hasn't seemed to really want to run the read option and he still wound up with ~50 yards a game. Seems like that's near his weekly floor.  Could see them go heavy read option against a team like KC and him up the average / pace quite a bit. He's also a block or two away from having a much higher average now, so a long run or two could really change things. 

Yea I remember, maybe early 4th quarter, he didn’t read a block well and got tripped up by a blocked defender. If he hadn’t he had Stanley leading the way to a possible td and 50 more yards

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

The read option isn't really working that well so far, though. I don't think the offensive line is in sync yet. Maybe in the second half of the season it will improve. As of now, our best offensive is dropping back to pass on 1st down, and passing to set up the run. Then we can run out the clock to end the game. I don't see the offense being run first, anymore.  

Yup. I figured I just wanted to get other people’s thoughts on what people felt Lamar’s rushing prospects looked like.

I, myself am in camp 1000 yds rushing. I think especially with the unique circumstances of this season it makes sense to use less QB designed runs, especially not on that terrible turf there.

With games against the NFCE, where no team has seen this offense yet and those defenses don’t particularly look the most capable right now, it’ll be difficult for me to see them keeping Lamar under 100 yds. Throw in the Bengals defense 2x and I think those are all games where Lamar can average 80 yds or so. That means if against the rest of the schedule, he averages just over 50 yds/game... then he’d reach that milestone again.

Like said above Lamar was one shoe string tackle away from a 100 yd rushing performance. A play like that can happen at anytime and while it hasn’t happened yet, it’s only a matter of time considering the Law of Averages.

Will be interesting to see who ends up with more rushing yards between Lamar and Kyler this season.

Edited by diamondbull424

I'm thinking Kyler will have more rushing yards this year. LJ8, to me, looks like he's just trying to play the pocket game this year. Last year, I felt he took off quicker with decisive action whereas the two games thus far he seems hesitant. That boy Kyler just on go with the Nikes this year. He gets outta there fast, quick and in a hurry.

58 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

lol Look at PFF doing the whole "NOt BaD fOR a ruNnING BAck" thing. All the detractors trying to jump on the ship now.

Perhaps they’re still detractors and just want to make it known that it certainly isn’t bad for a RB, as in they still believe he’s a RB masquerading as a QB. 😆

But hey, detractors becoming your attractors is better than your idols becoming your rivals I suppose. Have no idea what any of that has to do with anything, I guess I just wanted something to rhyme.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Depending on how much emphasis people put into analytics. The runs could help set up the passing game. We don't know for sure, but those who favor analytics don't think that running the ball is what sets up the pass.

It would be fun to know how our coaching staff sees that philosophy.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Depending on how much emphasis people put into analytics. The runs could help set up the passing game. We don't know for sure, but those who favor analytics don't think that running the ball is what sets up the pass.

Running should set up deep shots, which we don't take, so I don't really see it. The way we structure our passing game right now is we use the run to make linebackers move a certain way, then we throw it to the spot they vacated for a 10 yard gain and start over again.

15 minutes ago, Danand said:

Other teams find ways to use short passes as an extension of their run game however. Jackson would benefit greatly from just having Hollywood, Duvernay, or Bryant running quick hitch routes or bubble screens and getting a quick 5 yards from it. The defense can’t just tee off on him on such plays, it gets them from also packing the middle quite so hard. Then if they run press then audible to Hollywood and Duvernay running 9 and comeback routes to take advantage. Eventually the defense will have to stop packing the middle and that gets Andrews more space to operate as well as give our run game more space to make big plays happen.

Roman did a great job last game. But running on first down so often tips the defense’s hand. It’s why our RBs are getting blown up in the backfield so much on 1st down. And it’s putting us in 2nd and longer than 7 situations consistently. This offense needs to diversify and use more short passes that are running game extensions, particularly against the teams that struggle to cover them. It’s a pattern at this point that defenses are wise to. When a tendency becomes known to the fans, opposing teams of some quality have probably come to realize it well before hand with how detailed they can get in their tape analysis. Teams have been playing the run on 1st down all season long, Roman makes great half time adjustments, but he needs to do better at making scheme adjustments in season. Because how we beat teams last season by running for 5-6 yards on 1st down and being in 2nd and short situations, isn’t viable. Lamar has enough ability to have him getting the ball to his WR weapons in space as an extension of our run game and getting the offense into more 2nd and short scenarios. We have enough offensive talent to be a top 10 offense, so the fact that we’re not and the fact that 2nd and 3rd and long scenarios is a large part in why the offense isn’t operating at that expected level is a big deal that needs to change. It means if Lamar goes even 60% completions on 2nd and 3rd down we’re having more drives end in punts. The analytics only back it up if you’re run game can pickup 4-5 yards for 2nd and medium to short scenarios.

I just want Lamar to light the Patriots and/or the Titans defense up for 400 passing yards just to see how they change the narrative. LOL. Apparently we want the game because we “got back to running the football.” I don’t think a single one actually watched the game, we won because the passing attack opened things up for the run game... and then we could do both to extend drives and put points on the board.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:29 AM, drd23 said:

Not passing on 1st down is asinine 

Passing on 1 down if you play against a light box with Boyle and Ricard on the field - that is playing bad situational football.

I have a danish guy working on it. He is trying to dig up some stuff when it makes sense analytics wise to run the ball. His work has been the basis of some of the analytics articles that have circulated on twitter and this forum @bendixenNFL on twitter