Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

21 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I do find it interesting that Trey Lance hasn't been subjected to quite the same scrutiny Lamar was. Seems like every other QB with + athleticism and question marks surrounding their ability to mature as a passer that has entered the league since Lamar... has really been met with kid gloves. 

Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have to look at some of these QB prospects and think "I died on the cross for you". MFs were proudly going on TV and proclaiming that Josh & Lamar straight up couldn't play in this league and then the same people are calling Kyle Shanahan a genius for giving up 3 1st Round Picks to secure Trey Lance.

Two things: (1) 1st round QBs in the last four drafts is such a small, selective sample size as to be largely meaningless as a point of comparison here (similarly, did you know that Lamar has the most interceptions thrown in a season of any unanimous MVP season?); and (2) it's not particularly shocking that the guys at the top of that list all played at blue blood schools stocked with blue chippers all across the offense (O-line and skill positions).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

and (2) it's not particularly shocking that the guys at the top of that list all played at blue blood schools stocked with blue chippers all across the offense (O-line and skill positions).

Yea they always like to throw level of competition around, but don't often mention the inherent advantages they played with at those powerhouses in contrast. 

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I do find it interesting that Trey Lance hasn't been subjected to quite the same scrutiny Lamar was. Seems like every other QB with + athleticism and question marks surrounding their ability to mature as a passer that has entered the league since Lamar... has really been met with kid gloves. 

Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have to look at some of these QB prospects and think "I died on the cross for you". MFs were proudly going on TV and proclaiming that Josh & Lamar straight up couldn't play in this league and then the same people are calling Kyle Shanahan a genius for giving up 3 1st Round Picks to secure Trey Lance.

That's a horribly cherry-picked stat for Lance given the one game he played in 2020 was with very little and Lance basically only played so that the guys on his team on partial scholarships would be guaranteed to get maintain them.  If you looked at Lance's 2019 (which is really his only season) I'm sure those numbers would be different.

Lamar and Josh Allen had significantly worse completion %s in college. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm going to just copy/paste this every time someone makes a backhanded "RB" comment.

Doesn't matter you can't convince Lamar haters of anything. A deep post season run and hopefully a Super Bowl championship will put the final nail in their coffins and kill the narrative forever. Maybe...

38 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Doesn't matter you can't convince Lamar haters of anything. A deep post season run and hopefully a Super Bowl championship will put the final nail in their coffins and kill the narrative forever. Maybe...

A unanimous MVP season didn't change their minds, what makes you think that will?

3 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Because a Super Bowl win is the ultimate validation and can't be minimized or taken away. 

People's opinion of Joe Flacco didn't change after winning a SB + MVP and having that run, and people are MUCH more invested in hating Lamar than they were with Flacco.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People's opinion of Joe Flacco didn't change after winning a SB + MVP and having that run, and people are MUCH more invested in hating Lamar than they were with Flacco.

True but Flacco was never an MVP type of player and never led the highest scoring offense in the NFL. I doubt the Ravens even had a top 15 offense any of the years Joe started. I loved Joe but he was never that dynamic or consistent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

True but Flacco was never an MVP type of player and never led the highest scoring offense in the NFL. I doubt the Ravens even had a top 15 offense any of the years Joe started. I loved Joe but he was never that dynamic or consistent.

All I'm saying is that the people who hate Lamar will always hate Lamar.

It used to be "he won't go R1"

then it was "he'll never start"

then it was "he'll never put up passing stats" 

then it was "he'll never win a playoff game / he's already figured out!"

then it was "he'll never win MVP"

now it's...back to "he'll never put up passing stats", or something, idk. My point is these people are completely irrational in their hate for Lamar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

All I'm saying is that the people who hate Lamar will always hate Lamar.

It used to be "he won't go R1"

then it was "he'll never start"

then it was "he'll never put up passing stats" 

then it was "he'll never win a playoff game / he's already figured out!"

then it was "he'll never win MVP"

now it's...back to "he'll never put up passing stats", or something, idk. My point is these people are completely irrational in their hate for Lamar.

Agreed, by my count it was :

”He’s a RB and he needs to change positions.”
“He can’t throw a spiral, he’ll be out of the league within 3 years.”
“He was a gimmick and he’s been figured out.”
“He’s overrated because he might get hurt.”
“He’s peaked, the MVP was a fluke, and he can’t win a playoff game.”
“He’s peaked, can’t improve as a passer, and running QBs don’t win rings.”

The next obvious excuse that will be provided if/when Lamar wins the SB will be going back to the low hanging fruit:
”He’s overrated because he might get hurt.” OR “But he’s not as good as Mahomes.” 😂

• Like 2