Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

Random. But wow. So obviously we know that Lamar Jackson was a prolific Louisville QB and is the greatest QB in Baltimore Ravens history (sorry Joe Flacco, he just is).

Well the University of Louisville just decided to retire Lamar’s #8 Jersey, which is absolutely special.

Yet what’s really cool is the connection that I hadn’t ever realized until just now. One other QB who had his jersey retired at Louisville (and who Lamar mentions in this video) was none other than the original GOAT QB and Baltimore legend, Johnny Unitas.

It almost sort of feels like lightning striking twice. We draft Lamar and now he’s got a chance to surpass Johnny U as the GOAT QB in Baltimore sports history.

Meanwhile, I can’t help but now wonder if maybe I was right all those years ago and we absolutely should’ve drafted Brian Brohm over Flacco.

As good as Flacco was for us, there’s clearly some sort of universal causality that says when a Louisville great goes to Baltimore, he dominates the NFL. The legend of Brohm likely would’ve ascended even higher than the legend of playoff Flacco.🤓

But I digress, this was awesome news for Lamar and that’s a pretty dope connection he shares with Johnny U.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess this tracks with the team wanting him to become more of a passer and less of a runner, but I do miss seeing Lamar designed QB runs as much as we used to, although 60% is still a pretty high number I would guess?

Losing Yanda, and then OBJ + Boyle plays a role too. Most of those designed runs were to the right side. 

• 2 months later...

Will Lamar get paid this off-season? 

After watching Josh Allen ball out in a loss to Mahomes, I think it would be fair to ask Lamar to take a contract similar to Allen (6 years, $100 million guaranteed, $260 million total). 

In the end, I think Allen's contract will help the Ravens FO negotiate with Lamar. Would it be reasonable for Lamar to demand for a bigger contract than Allen? I don't think so, given that Lamar's numbers declined for 2 straight seasons, and Allen has been going deeper in the playoffs than Lamar. 

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

After watching Josh Allen ball out in a loss to Mahomes, I think it would be fair to ask Lamar to take a contract similar to Allen (6 years, $100 million guaranteed, $260 million total). 

In the end, I think Allen's contract will help the Ravens FO negotiate with Lamar. Would it be reasonable for Lamar to demand for a bigger contract than Allen? I don't think so, given that Lamar's numbers declined for 2 straight seasons, and Allen has been going deeper in the playoffs than Lamar. 

Somewhere between Deshaun Watson (2020) and Josh Allen (2021) should be the benchmark of a deal to get done. Actually Dak Prescott’s deal in retrospect looks like what we should look to fit Lamar into.

As it stands, the regression two years in a row doesn’t make me feel very confident in what to offer and could make the negotiating from both sides feel further apart on a deal. $40m seems a little rich to me after the last two seasons, however for Lamar he might feel he’s worth $45m.

I’d likely go for a 4 year extension that has him locked up through his age 30 season and just give him a little more than Watson and more guarantees. Something like 4 yrs/$162m, $128m in guarantees. Puts Lamar in the top 3 in guaranteed money, gives him the highest guaranteed/year record- for now, Ravens keep the contract shorter just in case Lamar has seen his best days, and Baltimore keeps its franchise QB with the ability to be a prolific talent when dialed in and protected.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 3

@diamondbull424 You think LJ8 regressed the last two years? First 8 or so games my mans was an MVP candidate. Now he didn't play well after that Dolphins game. Got completely spooked, but I wouldn't say he regressed the past two years. I thinks that's a little bit of a stretch, imo. 

With that said, if I'm LJ8, I don't want anything less than 300 milly over like 5 years or something. Last month of the season showed they can't seal the deal with out him (Though I put a lot of it on coaching, but the facts the facts) and we were leading the AFC until he got hurt. LJ8 should tell his moms to make sure EDC dig deep in them pockets.

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

@diamondbull424 You think LJ8 regressed the last two years? First 8 or so games my mans was an MVP candidate. Now he didn't play well after that Dolphins game. Got completely spooked, but I wouldn't say he regressed the past two years. I thinks that's a little bit of a stretch, imo. 

With that said, if I'm LJ8, I don't want anything less than 300 milly over like 5 years or something. Last month of the season showed they can't seal the deal with out him (Though I put a lot of it on coaching, but the facts the facts) and we were leading the AFC until he got hurt. LJ8 should tell his moms to make sure EDC dig deep in them pockets.

Unfortunately the season isn't only 8 games long. He was straight bad to end the season. Somewhere around 40-44M a year for 4 years. 

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

No, it wouldn't be reasonable for him to demand more than Allen IMO

Lamar is a top 10 QB. He isn't top 5 rn

He may get more though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I think it's very reasonable to say he has regressed, especially if we think his MVP season was an attainable and repeatable season and not just an outlier.

Not only do I think he's regressed on his passing abilities/footwork/decision making, I think he's already starting to lose speed/acceleration as well. However, time will tell if the latter was just a result of him being injured or actually starting to lose that ability already.

• Like 1