Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

23 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

INB4 they give AFC player of the week to Baker for throwing 3 Tds against the Dolphins.

He also threw a pick. Have to think this is Lamar’s. Especially considering the rushing yards and the almost rushing TD. He should’ve won it last week over Allen. So maybe you’re right on this.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the numbers look like now with the 5 TD's against the Rams factored in? Off the top of my head on the 2nd TD to Hollywood I believe the Rams were blitzing and there was an unblocked rusher but haven't gone through to see what the other 4 look like.

Generally curious on this because the general success rate Lamar has had against the blitz really flies in the face of the armchair DC's who keep talking about how all you need to do is blitz Lamar with a spy on him and force him to get the ball out quickly... not that there aren't a million things that have stood out about him but I feel like people really don't get how smart he has been in terms of his ball placement/ability to process and read defenses. 

• Like 1

Did a little checking myself and this is what I saw at least:

1st TD pass: 4 man rush 

2nd TD pass: Weak side LB blitz 

3rd TD pass: zero blitz

4th TD: normal 4 man rush 

5th TD: another zero blitz 

So assuming the stat above was correct, that puts Lamar now at 18 TD's and 1 INT vs. the blitz, which speaks to his ability to effectively make quick decisions (and credit to the play designs and receivers for giving him options to throw to when he's facing pressure). 

The 6 TD/4 INT ratio vs. 3 or 4 man rushes is noteworthy in that it really just gets to @M.10.E's point that the way to beat any QB is to get the most amount of pressure with the least amount of rushers. But you also just can't sit back and exclusively play 3 and 4 man rushes because of the threat Lamar poses with his legs, not to mention if you're allowing him to consistently get comfortable in the pocket he has the ability to pick you apart with his arm. 

In short, Lamar is good. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:11 PM, drd23 said:

I can see two more. Jets and Browns. Mahomes is the biggest challenger I see and the week we get the Jets he gets the Broncos and their defense will likely be looking to play spoiler. Then when we play the Browns he’s playing the Bears defense. I think those could be the most likely weeks.

Edited by diamondbull424