Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread (final)

RandyMossIsBoss

Thread for weekly power rankings and MVP race. Feel free to post your own.

Including my preseason power rankings to give proper context for where I have teams following week 1. First few weeks movement will be pretty volatile.

SB Favorites

SB Contenders

Playoff Contenders

Competitive

Pushovers

Preseason

1. Patriots
  2. Rams
  3. Saints
  4. Eagles
  5. Chiefs
  6. Chargers
  7. Packers
  8. Vikings
  9. Browns
  10. Steelers
  11. Cowboys
  12. Falcons
  13. Ravens
  14. Bears
  15. Seahawks
  16. 49ers
  17. Panthers
  18. Jaguars
  19. Texans
  20. Colts
  21. Jets
  22. Titans
  23. Lions
  24. Buccaneers
  25. Bills
  26. Broncos
  27. Bengals
  28. Cardinals
  29. Redskins
  30. Raiders
  31. Giants
  32. Dolphins

Week 1

1. Patriots (--)
  2. Rams (--)
  3. Chiefs (↑ 2)
  4. Saints (↓ 1)
  5. Eagles (↓ 1)
  6. Vikings (↑ 2)
  7. Chargers (↓ 1)
  8. Packers (↓ 1)
  9. Cowboys (↑ 2)
  10. Ravens (↑ 3)
  11. Titans  (↑ 11)
  12. Seahawks  (↑ 3)
  13. Texans  (↑ 6)
  14. Browns (↓ 5)
  15. Bears (↓ 1)
  16. 49ers (--)
  17. Steelers (↓ 7)
  18. Colts  (↑ 2)
  19. Panthers (↓ 2)
  20. Falcons (↓ 8)
  21. Bills (↑ 4)
  22. Raiders (↑ 8)
  23. Bengals (↑ 4)
  24. Lions (↓ 1)
  25. Cardinals (↑ 3)
  26. Redskins (↑ 3)
  27. Jaguars (↓ 9)
  28. Jets (↓ 7)
  29. Broncos (↓ 3)
  30. Buccaneers (↓ 6)
  31. Giants (--)
  32. Dolphins (--)

The top tier teams, and the very bottom, remain pretty steady through week 1, but between those 2 is utter chaos. Here are a few comments on the major risers and fallers:

Big Risers (Raiders, Texans, Titans)

The Raiders had no problem moving the ball on a defense that looks good on paper and is coached by a defensive guru. Maybe it was just a fluke start, but for now I'm thinking they will not be the bottom feeder I thought. Even though the Texans lost, it was about as "good" a loss there could be, nearly beating the Saints at the dome. Their defense was much better than anticipated, and offense is still explosive despite pass pro questions. Titans boost isn't entirely reflective of how I feel about them, they were undoubtedly large benefactors of the Browns historically undisciplined outing and they didn't dominate the game from start to finish as the score suggests. However, they comfortably beat a highly ranked team and that gets them a big boost.

Big Fallers (Jaguars, Bucs, Jets, Falcons, Steelers)

The Jaguars not only lost Foles, but their defense was absolutely shredded. Unless their defense can bounce back hard against Houston and live up to the hype, they will probably stay a bottom feeder this year. The Buccaneers offense fell completely flat, it seems Arian was not able to work any magic with Winston. The Jets fall doesn't necessarily reflect how I feel about them, moreso other teams more deserving to be over them after they lost a game against a team I don't think highly of, despite forcing 4 TOs. The Falcons and Steelers were both utterly dominated from start to finish. If they can rebound next week and show week 1 was a fluke, they will probably shoot back up.

MVP Watch (I'm basing this off of top 10 preseason MVP odds... but there's really no rhyme or reason yet, way too early. Why does Brady jump to 2, Rivers only 10? Idk)

1. Patrick Mahomes (--)
  2. Tom Brady (NR)
  3. Carson Wentz (↓ 1)
  4. Drew Brees (↑ 1)
  5. Aaron Rodgers (↓ 2)
  6. Lamar Jackson (NR)
  7. DeShaun Watson (↑ 2)
  8. Dak Prescott (NR)
  9. Baker Mayfield (↓ 5)
  10. Philip Rivers (NR)
Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 3

Nice work as usual, RMB

I'll use same format

Week 1

1. Patriots 
  2. Chiefs
  3. Rams
  4. Eagles 
  5. Saints 
  6. Cowboys 
  7. Packers 
  8. Vikings
  9. Chargers
  10. Bears
  11. Ravens  
  12. Titans  
  13. Texans  
  14. Seahawks
  15. Browns
  16. Steelers
  17. 49ers
  18. Panthers
  19. Colts 
  20. Falcons 
  21. Raiders 
  22. Bills
  23. Bengals 
  24. Lions 
  25. Redskins 
  26. Broncos
  27. Cardinals 
  28. Jaguars 
  29. Jets 
  30. Giants 
  31. Buccaneers
  32. Dolphins 
  • Like 1

week 1

1. Patriots

2. Chiefs

3. Rams

4. Saints

5. Cowboys

6. Eagles

7. Ravens

8. Chargers

9. Packers

10. Vikings

11. Texans

12. Titans

13. Bears

14. Seahawks

15. Browns

16. Steelers

17. Panthers

18. Falcons

19. Bills

20. Raiders

21. 49ers

22. Colts

23. Bengals

24. Jets

25. Redskins

26. Lions

27. Broncos

28. Buccaneers

29. Jaguars

30. Giants

31. Cardinals

32. Dolphins

• Like 1

@SBLIII

I was going to post a list as well, but your list looks roughly the same as one I would do. The only questionable pick would be Cowboys over Eagles, however I could easily see that being the case as they have the better rushing attack and potentially a better defense. Being able to control TOP, play great defense, that’s how great playoff teams are built. The only reason I would put the Eagles ahead of them would be due to coaching. So it could go either way.

And next I just need to see the Ravens offense show consistency in the passing attack and the Packers defense showing consistency and I could easily see those two teams reaching the SB contender status as well.

Edited by diamondbull424

Week 2

1. Patriots (--) nuff said
  2. Rams (--) nuff said
  3. Chiefs (--nuff said
  4. Packers (↑ 4) Starting the season with 2 hard fought division wins. Defense looks like it was well worth the money, now we're just waiting on the offense. Since I have faith Rodgers and co will iron out kinks, I am elevating them to top tier.
  5. Cowboys (↑ 4) Easy games to start the season, but good teams destroy bad teams, and that's exactly what Cowboys have done. Will go as far as their QB will take them
  6. Ravens (↑ 4) ^^... granted they didn't exactly destroy Cards, and perhaps Cards are not such a bad team, but they never sweated and their QB determines how high they reach
  7. Vikings (↓ 1) Defense's 2nd half shutout keep me fairly high on them. Cousins had one of his worst performances as a Viking but they still had a chance to win in Lambeau. 
  8. Eagles (↓ 3) Tough loss to suspect Falcons team, lots of injuries, inconsistent play on offense, still a very difficult team to judge and thus still cruising on offseason hype in the meantime
  9. Seahawks  (↑ 3) Never pretty, but they keep winning. Any team with a QB as good as Wilson is always dangerous
  10. Chargers (↓ 1) Tough, typical, Chargers loss but can't win them all, still a team that should be in position to be serious contenders once guys like Henry and James return
  11. Texans  (↑ 2) Divisional wins never come easy, especially if the Jags D is indeed legit and week 1 was just... Mahomes. 
  12. Browns (↑ 2) Offense clearly still has a lot to work on, but the Jets D is no slouch either. Their offense on the other hand, on their 3rd QB, is bottom tier and the Browns got to show off their talent up front
  13. 49ers (↑ 3) Most dominant win of the week, against a team that I thought might be competitive this year after nearly upsetting Seattle. Their defense may prove to be one of the league's best.
  14. Saints (↓ 11 Losing to the Rams is no reason to drop 11 spots, but losing one of the best QBs in the league certainly is. We will see how they manage with Bridgewater, they may shoot up/down depending on next week
  15. Colts  (↑ 3)  After a tough loss in week 1, they rebound with a divisional win, on the road, against a team with 1 of the best week 1 showings. This team is showing it can go to playoffs without Luck.
  16. Titans  (↓ 5 Close loss to Colts doesn't drop you 5 spots, but the way things played out last week they just ended up getting catapulted, but things are evening out.
  17. Falcons (↑ 3) Hard fought win over the higher ranked Eagles, but they didn't exactly look good while doing it. Many concerns surround this team, and it starts with Matt Ryan.
  18. Bears (↓ 3)  16 points through 2 weeks... They got the win (controversially) against Denver, but inspired little hope as Mitch was asked to play ultra conservative and offense was slow as a result
  19. Bills (↑ 2)  The lowest of the 2-0 teams, sorry Bills, but a miracle comeback win over the Jets and beatdown of the Giants isn't enough for me to flip on my preseason rankings, but this is a team to keep an eye on
  20. Lions (↑ 4 Could/should probably be 2-0 right now if not falling apart against Arizona. This week they got an impressive win over Chargers. This team doesn't have any major weaknesses.
  21. Buccaneers (↑ 9)  Of these final 12 teams, Bucs are the only ones to win this week, and as such they get a boost to the top of the weaker teams.
  22. Steelers (↓ 5)  Losing Ben is going to hurt immensely, but acquiring Minkah is a huge upgrade to a struggling D. There's still good pieces to work with on offense, let's see how Mason does.
  23. Panthers (↓ 4)  Cam is not right, and until that changes, this team is not going to be striking fear in anyone no matter how good their D is.
  24. Raiders (↓ 2)  A blowout loss to the Chiefs doesn't completely erase their impressive week 1, but this week against Vikes will tell us a lot about this team.
  25. Cardinals (--)  They've fought hard in both outings, proving to be a gritty team but let's see some Ws
  26. Jaguars (↑ 1)  They'll have to start winning to climb out of this pit, prove it on the field.
  27. Broncos (↑ 2)  ^^
  28. Jets (--)  On to their 3rd QB, this team will likely be squashed next week as well. Coming off the bye they should have Sam back, and we'll see what they're really made of. I think they can be a middle tier.
  29. Bengals (↓ 6)  Embarrassed by a good not great 49ers team.
  30. Redskins (↓ 4)  2 games, 2 solid starts, but getting absolutely outclassed and demolished in the 2nd half. This is just not a very good team.
  31. Giants (--) Garbage.
  32. Dolphins (--) Worse than garbage.

Way Too Early MVP Watch 

1. Patrick Mahomes (--)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Lamar Jackson (↑ 3)
  4. Dak Prescott (↑ 4)
  5. Russell Wilson (NR)
  6. Carson Wentz (↓ 3)
  7. Aaron Rodgers (↓ 2)
  8. DeShaun Watson(↓ 1)
  9. Dalvin Cook (NR)
  10. Baker Mayfield (↓ 1)

week 2

1. Patriots

2. Chiefs

3. Rams

4. Cowboys

5. Ravens

6. Packers

7. Eagles

8. Seahawks

9. Chargers

10. Texans

11. Vikings

12. Bills

13. 49ers

14. Bears

15. Saints

16. Lions

17. Falcons 

18. Colts

19. Titans

20. Browns

21. Buccaneers

22. Raiders

23. Panthers

24. Steelers

25. Broncos

26. Cardinals

27. Redskins

28. Jaguars

29. Giants

30. Bengals

31. Jets

32. Dolphins

MVP race

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Dak Prescott

4. Tom Brady

5. Russell Wilson

6. Dalvin Cook

7. Carson Wentz

8. Myles Garrett

9. Aaron Rodgers

10. Jared Goff

SB Favorite:

1. Pats

SB Contender:

2. Ravens

3. Cowboys

4. Chiefs

Playoff Contender:

5. Rams

6. Packers

7. Chargers (by end of season)

8. 49ers

9. Seahawks

10. Vikings

11. Falcons

Competitive:

12. Saints

13. Titans

14. Texans

15. Bills

16. Eagles

17. Colts

18. Browns

The rest.

19. Redskins

20. Bears

21. Bengals

22. Lions

23. Raiders

24. Buccaneers

25. Panthers

26. Cardinals

27. Steelers

28. Broncos

29. Jaguars

30. Jets

31. Giants

Pushover:

32. Dolphins

MVP:

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Tom Brady

3. Patrick Mahomes

4. Dak Prescott

5. Deshaun Watson

6. Carson Wentz

7. Aaron Rodgers

8. Myles Garrett

9. Russell Wilson

10. Dalvin Cook

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Way Too Early MVP Watch 

1. Patrick Mahomes (--)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Lamar Jackson (↑ 3)
  4. Dak Prescott (↑ 4)
  5. Russell Wilson (NR)
  6. Carson Wentz (↓ 3)
  7. Aaron Rodgers (↓ 2)
  8. DeShaun Watson(↓ 1)
  9. Dalvin Cook (NR)
  10. Baker Mayfield (↓ 1)

How much are you weighing your preseason expectations into this? Because some of these players arent even top 15 at their position right now:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

30 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

How much are you weighing your preseason expectations into this? Because some of these players arent even top 15 at their position right now:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

A decent amount still. By week 4 or 5 preseason expectations will have no bearing on my PR or MVP race. MVP race will probably also just be 5 or so guys, since in reality their is rarely 10 guys legitimately in the discussion once a clearer picture emerges.

• Like 1

1. Patriots (--) 
  2. Rams (--)
  3. Chiefs (--
  4. Packers (--)
  5. Cowboys (--) 
  6. Vikings (↑ 1) 
  7. Texans  (↑ 4) Would be 3-0 if not for insane Brees comeback, their win over Jags looks better, and they just beat a good Chargers team
  8. Ravens  (↓ 1)  
  9. Saints (↑ 5)  Impressive performance all around IN Seattle, perhaps they will weather storm until Brees comes back if D keeps up play
  10. Colts  (↑ 5)  Back to back strong wins, only loss was nail biter in week 1. This is a talented team, and it looks like Brissett can get the job done
  11. 49ers (↑ 2)
  12. Eagles  (↓ 4) Keep losing players and making mistakes, talent is there but things have been ugly for this team
  13. Browns (↓ 1)
  14. Seahawks (↓ 5)  Brutal loss, just outplayed across the board at home in their 1st game against solid competition
  15. Lions (↑ 5)  Undefeated, should be 3-0 moreso than just about any other handful of teams that should/could be 3-0. Back to back strong wins, Stafford looking nice.
  16. Chargers (↓ 6)  Back to back tough Ls. Fall has more to do with other teams earning a jump. Need to see them close out.
  17. Bears (↑ 1)  
  18. Bills (↑ 1) 
  19. Falcons (↓ 2)
  20. Titans  (↓ 4)  
  21. Panthers (↑ 2)  
  22. Jaguars (↑ 4) 
  23. Buccaneers (↓ 2) 
  24. Steelers (--)
  25. Cardinals (↑ 1) 
  26. Raiders (↓ 1) 
  27. Broncos (-- 
  28. Giants (↑ 3)
  29. Jets (--)  
  30. Bengals (↓ 1)
  31. Redskins (↓ 1)  
  32. Dolphins (--)

Still Too Early MVP Watch 

1. Patrick Mahomes (--)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Dak Prescott (↑ 1)
  4. Lamar Jackson (↓ 1)
  5. DeShaun Watson (↑ 3)
  6. Dalvin Cook (↑ 3)
  7. Aaron Rodgers (--)
  8. Russell Wilson (↓ 3)
  9. Carson Wentz (↓ 3)
  10. Marlon Mack (NR)
  • Like 1

1. New England Patriots

2. Kansas City Chiefs

3. Dallas Cowboys

4. Los Angeles Rams

5. Green Bay Packers

6. New Orleans Saints

7. Houston Texans

8. Baltimore Ravens

9. Minnesota Vikings

10. San Francisco 49ers

11. Detroit Lions

12. Buffalo Bills

13. Philadelphia Eagles

14. Chicago Bears

15. Seattle Seahawks

16. Indianapolis Colts

17. Los Angeles Chargers

18. Cleveland Browns

19. Atlanta Falcons

20. Jacksonville Jaguars

21. Tennessee Titans

22. Carolina Panthers

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

24. New York Giants

25. Oakland Raiders

26. Pittsburgh Steelers

27. Denver Broncos

28. Arizona Cardinals

29.Cincinnati Bengals

30. Washington Redskins

31. New York Jets

32. Miami Dolphins

MVP watch

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Tom Brady

3. Dak Prescott

4. Deshaun Watson

5. Lamar Jackson

6. Dalvin Cook

7. Russell Wilson

8. Aaron Rodgers

9. Alvin Kamara

10. Carson Wentz

People probably say this every year.. but man, THIS YEAR... this year is super tough for rankings. That parity through the roof. I think there actually is an NFL record # of 2-2 teams through 4 weeks. 7 through 20 is basically impossible when all the 2-1 teams that were on the upper end lost and the 1-2 teams on the low end won. Do I really just flip them?.. Eh, let's figure this out.

1. Patriots (--) 
  2. Chiefs (↑ 1
  3. Rams (↓ 1)
  4. Saints (↑ 5)  I gave them a harsh drop after losing Bridgewater, but did mention how they would fly back up if they could prove they can compete w/out Brees... and here we are. 
  5. Cowboys (--) 
  6. Packers (↓ 2)
  7. Eagles  (↑ 5) Huge win in GB, getting DJax back soon, things are looking up... I think?
  8. Lions   (↑ 7)  This is admitteedly a very bizarrely large boost to give a losing team, but think of it more so as through 4 weeks, I am taking a step back, looking at all the teams, and deciding the Lions belong near the top of this pack of ever growing tier 3 teams based on 4 weeks of play
  9. Bears (↑ 8)  3 game win streak, defense is as strong as ever.
  10. 49ers (↑ 1)
  11. Browns (↑ 2)
  12. Ravens  (↓ 4)  
  13. Seahawks (↑ 1)  They've dominated weaker competition, but were steamrolled against the Saints. This team is still a big mystery.
  14. Vikings (↓ 8) I mean, what the hell was that? I think we just have to accept this is a good D with an erratic, at best, offense
  15. Texans  (↓ 8) Losing to this rejuvenated Panthers team doesn't get you dropped 8 spots, but Texans fall victim here to the mass reshuffling of the rankings
  16. Chargers (--)   
  17. Colts  (↓ 7)  
  18. Panthers (↑ 3) 
  19. Buccaneers (↑ 4) 
  20. Titans  (--)  
  21. Bills (↓ 3)
  22. Jaguars (--
  23. Steelers (↑ 1) 
  24. Raiders (↑ 2) 
  25. Falcons (↓ 6) 
  26. Giants (↑ 2) 
  27. Cardinals (↓ 2) 
  28. Broncos (↓ 1) 
  29. Jets (--)  
  30. Bengals (--)
  31. Redskins (--)  
  32. Dolphins (--)

Still Too Early MVP Watch 

1. Patrick Mahomes (--)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Dak Prescott (--)
  4. Russell Wilson (↑ 3)
  5. Lamar Jackson (↓ 1)
  6. Carson Wentz (↑ 3)
  7. Deshaun Watson (↓ 2)

HMs- Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Dalvin Cook, Christian McCaffery, Shaquil Barret, Khalil Mack, Jamie Collins... etc.

• Like 1