Hunter2_1

With JW...  

91 members have voted

1. 1. TB should...

• Stick with their guy, he's good enough/will improve
    • Roll with him until they can draft a new franchise QB
    • Sit him in favor of their backup, give him more time sitting
    • Immediately drop him, and begin preparation for a new approach

Buccaneers have been patient with Winston's interceptions and erratic throws since they made him the first overall pick in the 2015 draft.

Winston's career interception percentage of 3.1 percent is higher than those of Eli Manning (3.0 percent), Blake Bortles (2.8 percent), O.G. Richard Sherman pick-six victim Matt Schaub (2.7 percent), Ryan Tannehill (2.6 percent) and every remotely successful quarterback in the NFL. He's thrown 61 career interceptions, two fewer than Russell Wilson, who has thrown 1,323 more career passes, and eight more than Wentz and Prescott combined. 

The Buccaneers fired Lovie Smith and promoted offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter after Winston's rookie season in an effort to open the offense up and accelerate Winston's development. Koetter turned play-calling duties over to coordinator Todd Monken and then took them away, inserted Fitzpatrick and removed him, and then got fired himself after back-to-back 5-11 seasons. Winston's interceptions subside now and then, like they did late last season, but they are replaced by periods of adequacy, not dominance. And then they return.

Now Arians, the Quarterback Whisperer (it's not just a cliche; it's the title of his autobiography) is tasked with jump-starting a career that has been idling for four years. Based on Sunday's results, Arians and Winston remain stuck at square one. 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

they don't have anyone better so really doesn't matter if he plays or not. They will draft a new QB anyway

They might have someone more risk averse? They probably have a higher % chance of winning more games if they're more safe - despite Winston being better. 

I haven't seen a heck of a lot of Winston recently so I'm no expert for sure but as Arians does have a good reputation and has had success I'd let him work with Winston for at least this season. If he improves then you have a difficult decision to make but if he flunks then assuming Tampa Bay's record is poor they will still have a decent shot at a QB in the draft they like or ammo to trade around.

I'm a believer in not changing a QB until you think you have a high probability that the the guy you're going to insert is going to be better. This also means having a full season of college ball to analyse any potential QBs in the draft. Tua is the name being floated around a lot but plenty of guys have risen or fallen in their most recent college year. Also, after this year you'll know the market value of Winston and be able to weigh it against the market value of any FA QBs and whether they could potentially be an upgrade. Plenty of guys who have starting experience and potential but could be on a hot seat or victims of cap space.

• Like 4

Jameis is pretty terrible. I said it when he was coming out and many people here told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Guess what, I was right and those ppl are the ones that didnt have clue. He is a career backup good for a loss or 10. They dont have a better option so they should just prepare to move on in the off season 

• Like 2

Well, he looked bad in the opener, but it's just Week 1, and it's not like they can do much right now to get a new QB.  See if he improves enough for you, and if not, be glad he throws so many pick sixes, since that ought to give you a better shot at Tua or Herbert.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

Well, he looked bad in the opener, but it's just Week 1, and it's not like they can do much right now to get a new QB.  See if he improves enough for you, and if not, be glad he throws so many pick sixes, since that ought to give you a better shot at Tua or Herbert.

He has looked bad most of his NFL career.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They might have someone more risk averse? They probably have a higher % chance of winning more games if they're more safe - despite Winston being better. 

Blaine Gabbert's career INT% is also 3.1.  Unless you're suggesting they go to the #3 QB and start Ryan Griffin?  The guy who has seen so little action that ProFootballReference.com doesn't even list the teams he was active on for the last 5 years?

I think they should stick with Winston and see what Ariens can do.  Then draft the next guy with their inevitable top 10 pick.

• Like 3

He's not good, but he's better than anyone you're finding at this point. Ride it out, scout out QBs in the 2020 draft.

I seriously wonder if Winston gets a job next season - I hardly believe a starting job is out there for him, even as a seat warmer for a rookie. I even wonder if someone would look at him as a backup, to be honest; I highly doubt his work ethic and study habits would make for a good backup QB, so this might be it for him, IMO.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's not good, but he's better than anyone you're finding at this point. Ride it out, scout out QBs in the 2020 draft.

I seriously wonder if Winston gets a job next season - I hardly believe a starting job is out there for him, even as a seat warmer for a rookie. I even wonder if someone would look at him as a backup, to be honest; I highly doubt his work ethic and study habits would make for a good backup QB, so this might be it for him, IMO.

Hmm, who's the Texans backup QB.

Seriously though, I could see him having a career similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick. A TO prone guy who starts for a few teams, has brief moments of greatness but because of the turnovers, never is a full time starter.

He's too young and his highs are too high for me to think he won't get another shot. But boy does he have the lowest of lows.

Let it happen organically. The way he played week one was so bad he's not gonna survive the season playing like that. He's gonna get beat up physically and mentally. 

If he taps out he taps out. Benching him now doesn't do much imo. Unless he quits on the team he's the starter and those signs are hard to hide at the NFL level in a contract year.