With JW...  

91 members have voted

1. 1. TB should...

• Stick with their guy, he's good enough/will improve
    • Roll with him until they can draft a new franchise QB
    • Sit him in favor of their backup, give him more time sitting
    • Immediately drop him, and begin preparation for a new approach

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

He's too young and his highs are too high for me to think he won't get another shot. But boy does he have the lowest of lows.

He'll have another offer and chance if he wants it. Being a number 1 overall pick is totally different than a 7th round career journeyman. 

I question if an ego can handle that of a number 1 pick.

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

Blaine Gabbert's career INT% is also 3.1.  Unless you're suggesting they go to the #3 QB and start Ryan Griffin?  The guy who has seen so little action that ProFootballReference.com doesn't even list the teams he was active on for the last 5 years?

I think they should stick with Winston and see what Ariens can do.  Then draft the next guy with their inevitable top 10 pick.

That's what I think too.

They should play him the entire year, take their lumps, and if they don't love a QB at the top of this draft, continue to build up their roster, make a lot of trades to load up draft picks and ammo for 2021, and select a Franchise QB in the draft, utilizing the capital that they acquire if necessary.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's not good, but he's better than anyone you're finding at this point. Ride it out, scout out QBs in the 2020 draft.

I seriously wonder if Winston gets a job next season - I hardly believe a starting job is out there for him, even as a seat warmer for a rookie. I even wonder if someone would look at him as a backup, to be honest; I highly doubt his work ethic and study habits would make for a good backup QB, so this might be it for him, IMO.

I feel like he has talent enough to be a backup. Isn't he usually toward the top of yardage, yards per attempt etc? He's got talent, but his mental game is not on point. You would never trust him in the 4th Q down 4 would you. 

As for Houston's other type of talent - just JJ Watt to sort his out now......I'm kidding, that was shallow and mean.....

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I feel like he has talent enough to be a backup. Isn't he usually toward the top of yardage, yards per attempt etc? He's got talent, but his mental game is not on point. You would never trust him in the 4th Q down 4 would you. 

Effective backup QBs can come in and steer the ship very well, but the best of the best - the guys who carve out 10+ year careers as a backup, your Fitzmagic/Josh McCown/Brian Hoyer types, they're highly regarded because of their mental games. None of these guys have the physical toolset to win consistently, but when you're in the film room and creating your gameplan for the week? These are the guys you want as those extra set of eyes/ears.

I could see Winston as a late add to a team - let's say a team loses a starter (and I'm talking a higher end starter, such as a Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlensberger) and they have a "win now" team. I can see Jameis getting a shot then, a dart throw to see if he can provide a spark to an already talented team, with snaps to offer.

But, Jameis as a long term clipboard holder? Yeah, I don't see it.

Ehhh as a fan of the team I think they should definitely just ride it out as others have said there is no other choice because they don't have anyone to replace him really.  Blaine Gabbert is also injured at the moment, so they would have to throw in Ryan Griffen who has never even been active for a regular-season game AFAIK.  FWIW he did look decent during pre-season the last two seasons though.

The problems I see with Jameis are his actual processing of the reads I think he s just too slow processing these things in real-time as they are split-second decisions and he either can't process it that fast or he just doesn't want to give up on his read to go to the next one?   Also, he has a problem trying to be the hero and essentially playing "hero ball"  which he comes in on the offensive series in a non-favorable situation and just has a mental meltdown when the play breaks down where he just panics and throws the ball up hoping for a miracle of some sort.