With JW...  

91 members have voted

1. 1. TB should...

• Stick with their guy, he's good enough/will improve
    • Roll with him until they can draft a new franchise QB
    • Sit him in favor of their backup, give him more time sitting
    • Immediately drop him, and begin preparation for a new approach

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

...would anyone like to change their opinion?

....I haven't watched, but he seems to be doing well now?

So it's clear I'm not coming late to the party....

And yes, I put him as a top 3 darkhorse MVP candidate (with Wentz & Watson, since it's pretty much a QB every year) behind the obv Mahomes call.

And this was my call on Sept. 4 before games began that TAM was going to extend Winston...

Just like the first 2 games don't damn him, the last 2 don't crown him.    As others have mentioned, the next 6 game stretch is going to be crucial for him.  But I've planted the flag before - his problems (while very legit, were fixable, Monken was on his way to getting it done after Winston got the job back last year, Arians is continuing on it).   

FTR, the issue has always been his inability to see the underneath guy (weird, because it's not an overall lack of vision or anticipation, he makes amazing, A++ throws), and the absolute refusal to let a play die, and thus go down with the hero-turned-goat play.   Arians has clearly drilled into him to stop the latter, and he seems like he's addressed the former (I can't really explain why, but when it's not the hero play, it's just not seeing the underneath guy - weird issue, but if the rest of his vision and anticipation is there, it's fixable).

I've been a big believer before, nothing now changes it.     But way too soon to call it after only 4 games.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just like the first 2 games don't damn him, the last 2 don't crown him.    As others have mentioned, the next 6 game stretch is going to be crucial for him.  But I've planted the flag before - his problems (while very legit, were fixable, Monken was on his way to getting it done after Winston got the job back last year, Arians is continuing on it).   

FTR, the issue has always been his inability to see the underneath guy (weird, because it's not an overall lack of vision or anticipation, he makes amazing, A++ throws), and the absolute refusal to let a play die, and thus go down with the hero-turned-goat play.   Arians has clearly drilled into him to stop the latter, and he seems like he's addressed the former (I can't really explain why, but when it's not the hero play, it's just not seeing the underneath guy - weird issue, but if the rest of his vision and anticipation is there, it's fixable).

I've been a big believer before, nothing now changes it.     But way too soon to call it after only 4 games.

Goff has a similar issue. He gets fooled by blitzers dropping into underneath zone coverage. Think experience tends to improve that. Although, I'm sure dedication in the film room and coaching also make a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Goff has a similar issue. He gets fooled by blitzers dropping into underneath zone coverage. Think experience tends to improve that. Although, I'm sure dedication in the film room and coaching also make a huge difference.

Yeah, I saw that in the week 1-2 games with Goff, it was crazy.   It's also why play action helps Goff so much, because the underneath guys are out of position more.  But that timing / placement is a thing of beauty when it's on (for both).   What both guys do a LOT is lead the WR's into getting YAC, or throw them open on back shoulder throws.   

Re: Film room & coaching, absolutely.  I think there's no coincidence Monken was a huge help, and Arians is there now (just like McVay and Taylor helped Goff a ton in LAR).

I hope to see a fair amount of that tonight, TBH.  Got 2 units on LAR+2 lol.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I saw that in the week 1-2 games with Goff, it was crazy.   It's also why play action helps Goff so much, because the underneath guys are out of position more.  But that timing / placement is a thing of beauty when it's on (for both).   What both guys do a LOT is lead the WR's into getting YAC, or throw them open on back shoulder throws.   

Re: Film room & coaching, absolutely.  I think there's no coincidence Monken was a huge help, and Arians is there now (just like McVay and Taylor helped Goff a ton in LAR).

I hope to see a fair amount of that tonight, TBH.  Got 2 units on LAR+2 lol.

When Goff is on, his accuracy is insane. He's just so damn inconsistent this year. Our blocking (or lack thereof) likely is playing a role in that.

• Like 1