Week 2 GDT - Cincinnati Bengals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did this game remind anyone of the Bills game back in 2012? Where we just did WHATEVER we wanted to offensively and threw for and ran for 300+ yards? This was mastery at its finest by Shanahan. 

And I guess equally of an pathetic defensive performance from the Bengals. They were woefully unprepared and got abused in each and every single way. 

And similarly, one of our starters got injured late in the game when nothing was on the line. In 2012, I think that's the game Josh Morgan broke his leg (on a pass by Kap, who came in in the fourth). That Bills game was ridiculous. 300 easy rushing yards, 600 yards total offense.

Hopefully Kyle can come up with gameplans that can ridicule many more opponents.

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Congrats on the 2-0 start guys. Team looks solid. I know most thought 7-9 wins for this team and it looks like they are on pace for 9-7 or so. 

I don't know, it's been a while since my Stats 101, but we're on pace for 16-0...

By the way, if you don't know me, I'm silly.

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:
35 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Congrats on the 2-0 start guys. Team looks solid. I know most thought 7-9 wins for this team and it looks like they are on pace for 9-7 or so. 

I don't know, it's been a while since my Stats 101, but we're on pace for 16-0...

By the way, if you don't know me, I'm silly.

He's also Canadian. 

Both of which are reasons we love him. 

I’ve always thought Kyle was second best offensive mind in the game behind Reid, even when McVay dominated last year. This guy made Matt Ryan look like one of the greatest QBs to play and the creativity and concepts he used with Atlanta were genius. 

I’d also rank Gruden above McVay, McVay is a Gruden disciple afterall. Not a McVay hatefest, solid coach, but glad Shanahan is showing off what he can do with some actual talent. 

1. Andy Reid

2. Kyle Shanahan

3. Sean Payton

4. Jon Gruden

5. Jay Gruden

6. Sean McVay

7. Josh McDaniels (this might even be too high, he’s always been overrated)

Edit: Forgot Payton

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 3

Here is my review of the game:

QB: This was prime Jimmy. He was put into positions to be successful and he did not disappoint. Shanahan did a great job of using his mobility and exposing a limited Bengals defense. He looked as good as he did in 2017. I really liked the touch he put on his balls and I stand by the statement that we will see Jimmy do things that are amazing and others that are head scratchers.

RB: As a unit they were effective top to bottom. The 49ers are proof that you should never pay a RB top level money. The right offense and scheme will create running lanes and the 49ers have top level, elite athletes playing the positon. Breida has incredible vision, Mostert has incredible burst and Wilson is different with the physical nature he runs with.

WR: Still a lot left to be desired at the position. Deebo reminds me of Anquan Boldin so much. There was a pass play yesterday where he came into motion and chipped the DE with a vicious chip block and then sprung free out the back for a big gain. He also looks for contact and refuses to run out of bounds. Goodwin is a very special runner, but is limited with what he can do in regards to routes. However, all of this is getting done without Taylor(who I think will be special in this offense) or Hurd who seems like a legit threat to high point the ball.

TE: Kittle is the best TE in the league. He has a ability to create after the catch unlike anyone else. He was an absolute beast in the run game this weekend as well. Teams are going to try to take him out of the gameplan so it is important to continue to get him the ball in space as they have been.

OL: The Offensive Line was very good all around in the game. The run blocking was superb and they really ramped it up in the second half and allowed for Shanahan to limit the passing in the second half. Staley's injury sucks and he is an irreplaceable player, but I'm for letting the youth get a shot as opposed to trading draft capital for a Trent Williams type that you wont know what to do with after Joe gets back. After all, they drafted Skule for a reason. Time to step up.

DL: D line showcased their depth, in particular Ronald Blair and Sheldon Day. I noticed Boas getting chipped a lot, which means teams are game planning for him. One small critique I have of Bosa is that he seems to go 100 mph without much adjustment. When he is out of a play he is pretty much done. I would like to see him begin to learn to be more controlled and more versatile, but even the way he is, he impacts the game.

LB: Kwon Alexander is going to be the Carlos Rogers signing of this regime. He was much aligned because he missed too many tackles and was coming off of injury, but he plays with an energy that is infectious and is a difference maker. Good all around adjustment for the LB corps in the run game. Albeit, they made the Bengals one dimensional.

DB: This is slowly becoming Akhello's secondary. He was once again fantastic. K'Waun played well also. The Bengals receivers are a tough cover. They have some speed nd some size and when Dalton gets time he can spin as good as anyone. I don't recall too many penalties in the secondary so that is a nice adjustment as well.

S: I heard someone on the radio say that the safeties were not making plays yet. I look at that as a good thing. Your safeties are in most cases your last line of defense. I would rather they not have to make plays. I like Tartt in the Box and we saw the youth in Moore on a play where he had his ankle broke by the elite speed of Ross, but outside of that no complaints.

Just a really good team win start to finish. It's time to start believing in the team fellas. It is for real. This team is still missing the defining win, but that will come. I think of the Harbaugh team that beat Detroit and look back to that game as the moment we realized they were for real. I predict that game ends up being the Monday Nighter against Cleveland.

Pittsburgh comes in without Ben next week. There is no reason why the 49ers shouldn't win that game. That would send them into the bye and then week 4 against the most over hyped team in football. If this team can get to 4-0 to start the season they will make the playoffs.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Really good review, @clarkfn2284 , enjoyed it. Have to go :/  at this one part. 

From what I remember seeing, as well as the forum comments at the time... he seemed to be more victimized than anyone. 

I think he was beat by Ross a couple of times in the slot. I have a hard time killing a guy for that with Ross' speed. He ended up with 7 total tackles including three in run support that were on 3 , 1 and 0 yard gains.

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I think he was beat by Ross a couple of times in the slot. I have a hard time killing a guy for that with Ross' speed. He ended up with 7 total tackles including three in run support that were on 3 , 1 and 0 yard gains.

I might rewatched the condensed version later, but it seems like he had a really rough start and then it just became a dominant performance after that. 

Seriously, best game I've seen from this team in years, mostly because I think the Bengals have good enough talent to beat anyone on any given sunday, unlike the Raiders last year. 

• Like 1

We have the 2nd best defense and 6th best offense through two weeks!!! Championship!!!!!!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

Freaking NE though, the 4th best offense and by far the best defense. Sure playing the Dolphins helps, but it is really unfair lol. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We have the 2nd best defense and 6th best offense through two weeks!!! Championship!!!!!!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

Freaking NE though, the 4th best offense and by far the best defense. Sure playing the Dolphins helps, but it is really unfair lol. 

This would have been a great year to face the AFC East. 

22 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

TE: Kittle is the best TE in the league. He has a ability to create after the catch unlike anyone else. He was an absolute beast in the run game this weekend as well. Teams are going to try to take him out of the gameplan so it is important to continue to get him the ball in space as they have been.

Honestly, since last year, I've maintained that Kelce was probably still the best TE in the game, partly in an attempt to control my homerism, and partly because I thought Kelce deserved the benefit of the doubt. But while Kelce is probably the better redzone threat, high-pointer of the ball, etc., Kittle is perhaps better at everything else. And not only better, but outrageously better than the rest of the league, in certain aspects. His YAC wasn't only elite for a TE last year, but elite at an all-time level for any position player. He's the most athletic and physical after the catch, with a stiff arm that is not only powerful, but smart. He uses defenders' momemtum against them better than most RBs. It takes 2 men and a half to tackle that man. And the run-blocking was downright dominant. I feel like when Staley will retire, Kittle will be heart and soul of this team. Team captain for the next 12-13 years, easy.

• Like 2